What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG hunters

Walter sobchak

First Grade
when are we going to see a rise in the export of kumuls to the NRL like the kiwis and to a lesser extent Fijians?? It’s been like 4-5 years now and other than Justin olam I can’t think of any hunters players that have progressed into the NRL.

I know I’m probably being a bit impatient but PNG has everything going for it in terms of potential development. They have a population of about 8 million, they are a RL mad nation and now thanks to the hunters have a pathway for their best players.

jim_57

Staff member
A Hunters/PNG under 18/20 side playing in the Queensland junior comps would probably be the best step in starting a flow of players in to the NRL. Not a lot of open age players go from unknown to NRL these days as even if they have the talent NRL clubs would probably prefer to sign and develop juniors.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
100% agree with you. Makes you wonder why this hasn’t happened already.

I would go even further and say that there needs to be a 2nd png side playing in the Queensland cup in the next 3-5 years. Lae perhaps? Both running u18&u20 sides.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
According to the hunters chairman 7 players are leaving the club and joining overseas teams but he didn’t offer any names of players or clubs.

jim_57

Staff member
According to the hunters chairman 7 players are leaving the club and joining overseas teams but he didn’t offer any names of players or clubs.

Good news even if most are only moving to lower league teams in Austtalia or England. Hopefully there is an NRL contract or 2 in there though.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Good news even if most are only moving to lower league teams in Austtalia or England. Hopefully there is an NRL contract or 2 in there though.
Personally I’d love to see the png boys stay in Australia in either the nrl or other Queensland cup sides. Playing in the English lower leagues is a step down imo.

jim_57

Staff member
Personally I’d love to see the png boys stay in Australia in either the nrl or other Queensland cup sides. Playing in the English lower leagues is a step down imo.

I agree with that, the PNG national team won't select from below Super League either from memory. I think Super League clubs could do a lot worse than look at some Hunters players for a relatively cheap quality signing.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
I agree with that, the PNG national team won't select from below Super League either from memory. I think Super League clubs could do a lot worse than look at some Hunters players for a relatively cheap quality signing.
This. It’ll be interesting to see which hunters players have been signed up overseas.

I haven’t seen much highlights but from what little I’ve seen and read players like Nixon put, Enoch maki, Moses meninga, junior rau and the boas brothers are standouts.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Boas brothers to Fev apparently

Confirmed last night by Fev Rovers on their official Facebook Account.

The other confirmed Hunter moving on is the 21 year old right winger Brenden Gotuno. He has signed with the Penrith Panthers but I believe he will spend most of 2019 in the RM Cup with St Mary's.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Confirmed last night by Fev Rovers on their official Facebook Account.

The other confirmed Hunter moving on is the 21 year old right winger Brenden Gotuno. He has signed with the Penrith Panthers but I believe he will spend most of 2019 in the RM Cup with St Mary's.
Can’t say I’ve heard of gotuno before. Did he get any gametime this year with the hunters?

Any chance of Nixon put or Moses meninga being signed up by NRL clubs?

mikail-eagle

Bench
Can’t say I’ve heard of gotuno before. Did he get any gametime this year with the hunters?

Any chance of Nixon put or Moses meninga being signed up by NRL clubs?

Gotuno made his debut round 3 due to an injury to regular winger Butler Morris. He played a few games but made way when Morris returned from injury.

He didn't play again until round 14 and kept his wing spot until the final round.

Moses and Nixon would progress greatly in an NRL setup but haven't heard anything at all lately about them but fingers crossed.

mikail-eagle

Bench
PNG Hunters players confirmed to be moving on next year.

1. Ase Boas (27 yrs , Five-eight and Captain) - Joining Featherstone Rovers 2019
2. Watson Boas (23 yrs, Halfback) - Joining Featherstone Rovers 2019
3. Thompson Teteh (27 yrs, Centre - Joining Featherstone Rovers 2019
4. Wartovo Puara Jnr ( 28 yrs, Hooker) - Joining Barrow Raiders 2019
5. Stargorth Amean ( 27 yrs, Fullback) - Joining Barrow Raiders 2019
6. Brendan Gotuno (21 yrs, Winger) - Joining St Marys, Penrith 2019

Probably more to come.

That is more or less the Hunters spine for the last 3 years that is now leaving.
Will be a struggle next year. But a good test for new players coming up.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
PNG Hunters players confirmed to be moving on next year.

1. Ase Boas (27 yrs , Five-eight and Captain) - Joining Featherstone Rovers 2019
2. Watson Boas (23 yrs, Halfback) - Joining Featherstone Rovers 2019
3. Thompson Teteh (27 yrs, Centre - Joining Featherstone Rovers 2019
4. Wartovo Puara Jnr ( 28 yrs, Hooker) - Joining Barrow Raiders 2019
5. Stargorth Amean ( 27 yrs, Fullback) - Joining Barrow Raiders 2019
6. Brendan Gotuno (21 yrs, Winger) - Joining St Marys, Penrith 2019

Probably more to come.

That is more or less the Hunters spine for the last 3 years that is now leaving.
Will be a struggle next year. But a good test for new players coming up.
Have to admit to being a little bit underwhelmed by these moves. The championship and league 1 in the U.K. is imo a step down from the Queensland cup.

What league/competition does st marys play in??

jim_57

Staff member
Have to admit to being a little bit underwhelmed by these moves. The championship and league 1 in the U.K. is imo a step down from the Queensland cup.

What league/competition does st marys play in??

Lifestyle and money may be a factor in a lot of cases at a guess.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Lifestyle and money may be a factor in a lot of cases at a guess.

For the older guys I think this very much the reason for the move.

Someone like Ase Boas who has a good number of local PNG Premierships plus the 2017 QCUP premiership and MOM in the Grand Final and the 2017 QCup player of the year. Don't really begrudge him a last pay day as he probably only has 3-4 years left to play.

Watson Boas is the one I don't agree with. Still young and very talented could easily move to one of the other QCUP Teams.

Latest posts