What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

gzerounian

Juniors
v110zG9.jpg
So the NRL is the divisor and the club is the dividend

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
My initial concern with the new logo was a) that I didn't think the current one was past its use-by date (I, for one, still love it) and that the new one is very 2018 and prone to date very quickly. The article says that it has a shelf life of up to seven years. That's not a long time! If they can design a logo that is simple, classy, and won't date (and date quickly at that!), then they're onto a winner. There are plenty out there in world sport that can achieve this, so we should be able to as well.

This one is too simplistic and will be very much of its time in just a few years.
Old mate in the article admits this, saying it probably has a shelf life of roughly 7 years. Seems about normal for the competition logo based on changes to date.

gzerounian

Juniors
I agree. How can black and white be the main one for premiership use! Why does the NRL always try to "connect with the younger fans". These words are the latest things to come out of Beattie and Greenberg's mouth during a very interview in the last couple of months. They need to understand that the younger fans are not the majority nor are they the ones with the money. Getting unknown artists to play as grand final entertainment and having kick off at ridiculous late hours is what needs fixing. The NRL need to really look at how the AFL is running their show. The AFL shape their young fans not vice versa. If anyone saw "up there Cazaly" pre match to the AFL grand final will know what I'm talking about. Brought shivers down my spine.

Timmah

Staff member
Because they don't *need* to cater to those who are already going. There's an evident core of fans, the code needs to reach the people on the edges, a lot of whom are the younger ones. Makes sense to me. The GF entertainment is the same thing usually. To attract attention.

gzerounian

Juniors
Because they don't *need* to cater to those who are already going. There's an evident core of fans, the code needs to reach the people on the edges, a lot of whom are the younger ones. Makes sense to me. The GF entertainment is the same thing usually. To attract attention.
That is exactly what they're doing. They don't back their product. They pander and give in rather than sticking with what works. They rest on their laurels knowing that the core fans will never walk away from rugby league, taking advantage their loyalty. If you build a strong core those on the edges will naturally opt in as permanent rugby league fans as opposed to fairweather one's that have been enticed into it. You wouldn't have to tell people to "talk up the game" because they would be doing that already. When it comes tiime for a TV deal... You put down your non negotiables. You say sorry..the kick off time is 3pm that will not change.

Timmah

Staff member
If you honestly get all of that from a simple logo change then I can't help you, your mind is made up.

Rooster8

Juniors
What happens if another corporation sponsors the comp? I know Telstra has a long contract agreement, but I can’t see KFC or Harvey Norman fitting their logo in there without cutting off the top of the sheild. Unless you just put the kernel or Harvey Norman’s head where the Telstra logo was

The Marshall

Juniors
The NRL seem pretty happy to roll over logos every 5-10 years and it cheapens the brand in my opinion. I know a timeless logo isn't easy to find but it is achievable look at the NFL their logo has had minor alternations but has stood the test of time.

Timmah

Staff member
What happens if another corporation sponsors the comp? I know Telstra has a long contract agreement, but I can’t see KFC or Harvey Norman fitting their logo in there without cutting off the top of the sheild. Unless you just put the kernel or Harvey Norman’s head where the Telstra logo was
Correct. The logos posted previously here from IP Australia showed that.

NRL have dropped their media release now: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/21/bold-new-brand-for-telstra-premiership/

Together with some integration images coming up

upload_2018-10-21_9-52-22.png

gzerounian

Juniors
If you honestly get all of that from a simple logo change then I can't help you, your mind is made up.
Haha.. I know overreaction.. Specially since we've been talking about this logo change for weeks now so it's nothing new. But with all the pent up frustration with the nrl in recent times.. I guess the straw that broke the camels back for me was the fact that the article stated that the main premiership logo is going to be black and white. I was holding on to some hope that the final version of what we have seen so far was going to be something a little less bland. So the logo on the field will be black and white I'm guessing. The Warriors must have been onto something all those years ago.

Timmah

Staff member
Haha.. I know overreaction.. Specially since we've been talking about this logo change for weeks now so it's nothing new. But with all the pent up frustration with the nrl in recent times.. I guess the straw that broke the camels back for me was the fact that the article stated that the main premiership logo is going to be black and white. I was holding on to some hope that the final version of what we have seen so far was going to be something a little less bland. So the logo on the field will be black and white I'm guessing. The Warriors must have been onto something all those years ago.
On-field it'll be white with the Telstra logo coloured:

IzQoI3Q.png

Diesel

Coach
The NRL seem pretty happy to roll over logos every 5-10 years and it cheapens the brand in my opinion. I know a timeless logo isn't easy to find but it is achievable look at the NFL their logo has had minor alternations but has stood the test of time.
The NSWRL/NSWRFL one is pretty simple yet iconic, how long was that one around for?

beave

Coach
The white NRL Telstra Premiership text crosses into the white part of the the jersey making it very difficult to read. I thinks this will be a problem on a lot of jerseys.

A black outline around each white letter is the only solution.

Not a fan of this new branding.

Latest posts