What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG hunters

Perth Red

Post Whore
re the OP, lack of opportunity in Oz is a key one. As said there are very few second tier players that get picked up from NSW or Qlnd cup clubs that are not aligned and contracted to NRL clubs from U18's age group.

If Perth ever got an NRL club the logical thing to do would be to partner WA and PNG together. Have the best PNG kids playing in Perth in the Pirates SG Ball, some PNG U21's in the Pirates NSW cup team and a more formal link up between the Hunters and Pirates as a feeder team. It gives PNG a direct pathway to NRL level and increases Perth's chances of more produced players rather than robbing from other teams and thus reducing the player talent pool concern.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
re the OP, lack of opportunity in Oz is a key one. As said there are very few second tier players that get picked up from NSW or Qlnd cup clubs that are not aligned and contracted to NRL clubs from U18's age group.

If Perth ever got an NRL club the logical thing to do would be to partner WA and PNG together. Have the best PNG kids playing in Perth in the Pirates SG Ball, some PNG U21's in the Pirates NSW cup team and a more formal link up between the Hunters and Pirates as a feeder team. It gives PNG a direct pathway to NRL level and increases Perth's chances of more produced players rather than robbing from other teams and thus reducing the player talent pool concern.
Fiji also ?.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
2 more Hunters players on the move.

2ndrower Radley Brawa and Fullback/Winger Edene Gabi both joining the Wynnum Manly Seagulls.
How old are brawa and gabi ME?

Also The seagulls are affiliated with The Brisbane broncos aren’t they? Maybe brawa and gabi believe they have a better chance of securing a NRL contract being based in Australia rather than png playing in the same competition.

mikail-eagle

Bench
How old are brawa and gabi ME?

Brawa is 27. He spent his 3 years in Elite 1 in France together with Kuni Mingi before returning to PNG in 2015 to play Digicel Cup. He got into Hunters in 2016. He played in the PMXIII game this year off the bench but started both games against the England Knights.

Gabi is 23 years old. This was his first year with the Hunters. He started on the wings but moved to Fullback when Stargroth Amean quit early in the season. He played on the wings in PMXIII match but was replaced by Junior Rau for the 2 games against the England Knights.

mikail-eagle

Bench
And just also been announced on the Barrow Raiders Facebook page that they have signed another Hunters Foward in Willie Minoga.

That now brings the number of departing Hunters players to 9. And I think there's still a few more to go.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
This was always the aim. But I don't think they expected to loose 9 key players at one go. And am sure there are more on the way out.

Next year is going to be a big struggle.
Looks like the system is gradually working. Only problem is if they drift out of the semis next season with such a roster change you’ll get dickheads ripping on the club completely ignoring the reason why is the reason the club is there to begin with.

Be interesting if any non png players would ever sign with them from another in trust side or below

jim_57

Staff member
This was always the aim. But I don't think they expected to loose 9 key players at one go. And am sure there are more on the way out.

Is there any sort of plan for Hunters to ever have their own junior pathway? Something that can help develop young players to step up as opposed to just picking a few out of digicel cup every year?

If Hunters ran an under 20's team in the digicel cup (to start) and trained them with the full side it could surely help them regularly plug the gaps left by players leaving.

Walter sobchak

First Grade

Gives more young and hungry kumuls from the digicel cup a chance to potentially fulfil their dreams of reaching the professional ranks be it in Australia or U.K.

btw are Moses Meninga and Nixon putt still at the hunters??

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Is there any sort of plan for Hunters to ever have their own junior pathway? Something that can help develop young players to step up as opposed to just picking a few out of digicel cup every year?

If Hunters ran an under 20's team in the digicel cup (to start) and trained them with the full side it could surely help them regularly plug the gaps left by players leaving.
This should surely be the next logical step having a hunters u20’s and even u18’s side competing against their equivalents in Queensland.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Gives more young and hungry kumuls from the digicel cup a chance to potentially fulfil their dreams of reaching the professional ranks be it in Australia or U.K.

btw are Moses Meninga and Nixon putt still at the hunters??

Whatever happens it will also show what the current standard of the Digicel Cup is and if the new players are able to step up to the next level.

On Nixon and Moses there hasn't been anything mentioned at all. But those 2 along with Enoch Maki have been the best Hunters forwards this year. So really surprised that they haven't moved anywhere yet.

mikail-eagle

Bench
[QUOTE="Walter sobchak, post: 13265764, member: 49717")

btw are Moses Meninga and Nixon putt still at the hunters??[/QUOTE]

The Hunters Facebook page today listed Nixon Putt as leaving to join North Devils also in the ISC.

But haven't seen any official announcements from the Devils yet.

IntRLEnthusiast

Juniors
What the hunters has done for the PNG national side is given them a solid core of professional players. I agree that it would be nice for more in the top leagues but i think that will come. For now they are building a really solid base and improving the national side. In 10 years time i reckon there will be lots of PNG players across NSW/QLD cup and in NRL teams and i think this will make the PNG national team really strong.

Latest posts