What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What will Maguire do to the roster?

Mario chalmers

Juniors
There are 28 players currently signed for 2019

https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2018/10/10/wests-tigers-provide-update-on-2019-nrl-squad/

Of those 15 are off contract at the end of '19 which is a pretty exciting prospect for an incoming coach.

https://www.zerotackle.com/rugby-league/players/off-contract-2019/

I can't see any of Farah, Marshall, Chee-Kam, Gamble or Rochow being offered new contracts. I know Maguire brought Farah to Souths but by the end of 2017 I recall Farah was playing for the Bears? Maybe Madge has written him off already

Maybe worth a new contract category - Lawrence, Fonua, Thompson, Aloiai

Developing players/ wait and see - Liddle, Mikaele, Smith, McIntyre, Garner

I look to the 2019 off contract group first because Madge could potentially walk up to them on day 1 and say "Hey player X, you're off contract at the end of this season, we're not planning to re-sign you so if you can get a longer deal between now and then do what's best for you and your family." I wouldn't be upset if Chee- Kam and Rochow left this summer.

Of the remaining players you'd have to think McQueen and ET might be subject to a tap on the shoulder too. Backrow is still a glaring weakness in my view. The amount of stoppages in a game these days make it very hard to justify playing a mobile edge player and all our SR players are small.

I'm still pretty sour on Ivan for telling the club to re-sign Farah and Benji when he knew it was unlikely he'd be around for 2019.

Just hope there is some movement among the 28 signed because it is below average roster as it stands today.

Tiger05

First Grade
I'm fine with Benji and Robbie being here next year. They are fantastic back-up options. I also think Chee-Kam is a first grader who can also have an impact. He isn't a plodder. He has his faults but he can do a job especially off the bench.

Lawrence to me unless he somehow loses form is definitely a keeper. Thompson is probably in that bucket as well. I'd love to see Aloiai and Fonua come on and get another contract but they may be on the scrapheap.

McQueen & Rochow are clearly reserve graders. Rochow is better than McQueen.

I'm not that worried about our backrow. Our edge second rowers in Lawrence, Matterson, Garner and Chee-Kam are fine.

The middle forward lock role that ET slots into is a concern but may be rectified if we get some weapons in the front row.

I really like ET but he can be completely ineffective when it comes to getting metres and that puts more pressure on an average front row. I think ET is the type of player who can be moved on because of his down side.

I reckon our roster is a lot better this year compared to last year. We have some quality players in the spine in Mbye and Brooks. Liddle and Reynolds may also come good. Benji and Robbie as back-ups are pretty good back-ups.

I mentioned our edge backrowers above. I think that this has been a weak point for us but I think it's improved.

Centres and props (or even replacing ET) are the areas where I think Madge has to focus on.

Still - I reckon he is a decent position. We have 2 spots remaining and we have plenty of players coming off contract. We will have to see how the team gels and if we have significant weaknesses during the year and hopefully Maguire can improve that.

The Rosco

Bench
I might be in the minority ( well I am a hetero white middle aged meat eating animal killing male ), but I still see potential in Gamble. He is yet to be given a fair chance to show what he has to offer.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Our squad isn’t that far off being a real good one. Only lacking 1 or 2 class players. He’s fairly locked in with a lot of big money guys here for another 2-3 years. I look at his squads at souths and not really sure who he could attract from there who would be good for us?

Ben Teo backfrom England?

Wouldn’t surprise if we get Alex Johnston actually.

If he could bring those 2 over we’d be a real good side

gordsy

Juniors
Doesn't matter who we sign, until we show real heart and grit out on the paddock we will never be in the hunt. This is where I see Madge having a big Impact.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I might be in the minority ( well I am a hetero white middle aged meat eating animal killing male ), but I still see potential in Gamble. He is yet to be given a fair chance to show what he has to offer.

I saw Gamble play a game (just the one) while I was on holiday in QLD...he tore the other team to bits that day. He certainly has, or did that day, great attacking skills. His defence is still getting there but he could still come good if given the right guidance. A new coach could be exactly what he needs too.

macnaz

Staff member
Our squad isn’t that far off being a real good one. Only lacking 1 or 2 class players. He’s fairly locked in with a lot of big money guys here for another 2-3 years. I look at his squads at souths and not really sure who he could attract from there who would be good for us?

Ben Teo backfrom England?

Wouldn’t surprise if we get Alex Johnston actually.

If he could bring those 2 over we’d be a real good side
Brookes and AJ 6 & 7 ..Liddle and Reynolds sharing 9 and Benji and Robbie 2nd grade until needed ?

I think Madge should be firstly explaining to Benji and Robbie that 1st grade will be as back up only and to think hard about whether they are still happy to commit in 2019, or hang the boots up now .

BrotherJim05

Bench
I think we will end up with a significant roster overhaul. Not because certain players need to be moved on, but that Madge will bring a completely different approach, with some players excelling under him and others not being able to cope.

I feel like Cleary was more the inspiring coach, all the players loved him and wanted to play for him. Madge will bring a hard edge of discipline and competitiveness. Any of the primadonnas we have left floating around will likely find other clubs (although I'd like to think we don't have many of those left).

What I'm really looking forward to seeing is how our forwards play under Madge. I reckon he will get some real mongrel out of them, and those that can't keep up to his expectations will be moved on.

In terms of specifics, I don't see McQueen, Rochow getting new contracts, probably a tap on the shoulder. Robbie and Benji were signed as transition players to ease Reynolds and Liddle back into first grade. It will be retirement for both these players together, and f**k me I'd give my left nut to see them with another premiership ring

ET is the biggest question mark. His game style doesn't suit the modern game. Workhorses aren't really that valuable given all the f**king penalties. Not sure what Madge has planned for him but he's a legend of a block so I sincerely hope he finds his place

Shredder

Juniors
All I really know about Madge's coaching style is he is very fitness oriented.

I would expect him to thrash them in pre-season and make decisions from there.

Those with the biggest hearts get put into "coaches preference" box and the others get the season to show what they have.

He still has a couple of spots and a bit of cash to spend, but bringing players across is generally relationship-with-the-coach first and money second. He has great relationships with the kiwi players he just led to beating us, but other than that not so much.

If be surprised if he has ever met anyone from our squad, other than RF, who he dropped.

Id like to see him buy one decent forward and a depth fullback.

Im not expecting the second coming next year. We came 9th this year and I suspect we will be thereabouts again.

Pilot house

Juniors
I might be in the minority ( well I am a hetero white middle aged meat eating animal killing male ).

Endangered species...

Madge took the rabbits to a premiership within 3 years.

He started with a young inexperienced pack and competent backline, but the side who won the gf was somewhat different to the one he had at the start of that 2014 season.

Guys like Nathan Merrit couldn’t get a look in.

He rotates throughout the year. He’s big on “ whole of squad” talent. He moved gi to fullback where he was devastating.

He signed up some elite players such as Ben teo, big lote etc.

The bunnies won the gf, the World Cup and then the 7s and entered the 2015 season as the greatest Souths side of all time ( by trophy).

He had a success rate of 57% with souths.

To get the tigers into the 8 in 2019, he’s going to need to find just two more wins from this years efforts.

Tigers have some coin, so Madge is probably ringing around for some big mobile players.

He will give the incumbents a chance though.

Madge is a “ size matters” coach. Big guy on little guy will frequently win.

He’s hard core in public but he is a very nice man underneath. Very humble, I would encourage everyone to try and meet and welcome him if you can. He thrives on goodwill.

He got the additional time at Souths when the players flattened out because management liked and respected him. They had to close their eyes when they shot him.On that basis, I see some chance at picking up excess bunnies more easily.

Madge is inspiring and he’s hell bent on excellence. The free ride is over for the west tigers. No man left standing, do or die.

I’d say finals bound next year at least, top 4 the next year with a few imports.

Last edited:

The Rosco

Bench
So it's official now.
Ivan "yeah sure I have morals" Cleary is gone, and Maguire is now our official coach.
WT members email

Pilot house

Juniors
Correction - Rusty enabled him to take the rabbits to premiership within 3 years.....

I guess a lot of people helped, but you have to have the overlord.

And the overlord was Madge.

No Madge no 21st grand final for south Sydney. Rusty doesn’t select the side etc.

I am not sure the best teams in the comps (on paper) always win the grand final. Takes a bit more. You can have the fastest car and still crash it!

But fair point.

Last edited:

Front-Rower

First Grade
I guess a lot of people helped, but you have to have the overlord.

And the overlord was Madge.

No Madge no 21st grand final for south Sydney. Rusty doesn’t select the side etc.

I am not sure the best teams in the comps (on paper) always win the grand final. Takes a bit more. You can have the fastest car and still crash it!

But fair point.

Good players don’t go to clubs because they followed them as a kid, they go to clubs because of influential figures within the club.

Question, who goes to South Sydney without Russell Crowe’s influence?

Pilot house

Juniors
Good players don’t go to clubs because they followed them as a kid, they go to clubs because of influential figures within the club.

Question, who goes to South Sydney without Russell Crowe’s influence?

Players don’t coach themselves.

On paper Australia should have obliterated New Zealand....

You can still crash the best car in the world. You can still lose with the best nrl side. Ask Melbourne.

Anyway, this is still a time when wt fans and their friends and allies should be united.

Last edited: