What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your five most underrated players of the NRL era (1998-2018)

Puntoue

Juniors
Poor man's David Simmons

He’d actually be a good shoutout for this thread. Was always a decent winger, problem was at Cronulla that SuperCoach Sticky repeatedly played him at fullback and centre. No surprise that when your lot kept him on the wing he became mr reliable.

Some other names for this topic

- Jason Bukuya
- Luke Burt
- Stacey Jones (Know he’s well loved over the ditch but doesn’t get enough credit over here IMO)
- Anthony Don
- Brian Norrie
- Mark Tookey

King hit

Coach
Apparently he was not as good as brett hodgson or robbie ross or mark hughes at the time.

Robbie Ross had a very good series in 1999 and was part of that premiership winning Storm team. Hughes wasn’t bad and Hodgson deserved his spot both times and had that amazing debut.

Peachey was quite to prone to brain explosions which is why I think he only got the one game.

King hit

Coach
Blacklock was good, just not great. I mean how many players who have finished as top try scorer didn't earn representative honours? Quite a few I dare say. Blacklock was an "old school" winger in that he was more of a finisher, and when he was at the height of his talents was at the time when the role of winger was changing due to guys like Sailor and Tuqiri where wingers were expected to be more than finishers.

Sailor destroyed Blacklock pretty much every time he opposed him as well. Remember that 2001 where Sailor scored 4 tries on his wing.

Leading point scoring and try scoring doesn’t automatically mean they are awesome. Imagine if Covell, Purtell and Croker were picked in tests and origins just because they score lots of points.

Big Pete

Referee
It would almost be as bad as Darren Albert, Jason Moodie, Jamie Ainscough & Steve Turner being selected.

Lambretta

First Grade
Interesting call on Nightingale. Aside from the fact that he’s fallen behind the last year or so, you won’t find a Dragons fan who doesn’t love the guy. As you say, with his size, speed and skill he’s got no right to have had the career that he has but he just delivered year after year! This year he joined Fittler, Lockyer and Slater as the only 4 players to rack up 250 games, 30 tests, 100 tries and a premiership - pretty crazy company.

Not sure if he’s underrated outside of Dragonland but he’s definitely an achiever!!

I suppose it depends on your definition of under rated I suppose
He is definitely one of my favourite players of the last 10 years

I just haven't seen the gushing media love fest for him that I've seen for other players, especially when as you say, he is in esteemed company for his achievements on the field

He certainly deserved a damn more plaudits than he received in my opinion

myrrh ken

First Grade
Robbie Ross had a very good series in 1999 and was part of that premiership winning Storm team. Hughes wasn’t bad and Hodgson deserved his spot both times and had that amazing debut.

Peachey was quite to prone to brain explosions which is why I think he only got the one game.

they might have had okay games but Hughes and Hodgson should not have been selected in the first place. Ross was in good form.

the concerns regarding Peacheys ball security were overblown.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Nightingale did amazing for a bloke that when he moves it doesn’t look like he has full use of his brain, just something wasn’t quite right but then score some absolutely ridiculous try that no one else on the field could pull off

King hit

Coach
Jamie "I'm to dumb to feel a tooth that's been in my arm for weeks" Ainscough played 12 Origins!!

Easily the most overrated player of the NRL era.

He can boast about a 75% win percentage and being part of 2 clean sweeps though

Hutty1986

Immortal
most underrated - Luke Phillips. If you were to pick a fullback to play for your life, you'd pick Diamond. Rock solid, superb tackler (remember his tackle to win the prelim v the Knights 2000?), could spark the attack. Put his body on the line week in and week out. Yet when people think of great modern fullbacks, all they talk about is Slater and Ponga. its crazy!

Five more most underrated players:

1 Sonny Bill Williams. Dude was a freakin' beast. Unbelievable during his Dogs time, and returned even better for the Roosters in 2013/14. Yet everyone carries on like he's a run of the mill second rower.

2 Mitchell Aubusson. He's absolutely central to the Roosters' success over the past decade, but aside from a few Easts fans he never rates a mention.

3 Anthony Tupou. An incredible force 2005-2008, then he moved to Cronulla and his star faded. But what he did on those brief years at the top was exactly what you expect from a world class forward. Strangely forgotten by everyone

4 Daniel Tupou. Played 130+ games and scored 70+ tries for the most successful team of the last five years. You must be good to hold down a place in a succesful team, but everyone focusses on the razzle dazzle of his wing partner (RTS, Fergo...)

5 Chris Flannery. Flanno was the ultimate utility. Every team needs a Flannery
All 5 are/were chooks at some point. What a stunning coincidence!!

Fire

First Grade
Andrew McCullough
Tim Mannah
Chad Townsend
Mitchell Aubusson
Blake Green

julian87

Juniors
most underrated - Luke Phillips. If you were to pick a fullback to play for your life, you'd pick Diamond. Rock solid, superb tackler (remember his tackle to win the prelim v the Knights 2000?), could spark the attack. Put his body on the line week in and week out. Yet when people think of great modern fullbacks, all they talk about is Slater and Ponga. its crazy!

Five more most underrated players:

1 Sonny Bill Williams. Dude was a freakin' beast. Unbelievable during his Dogs time, and returned even better for the Roosters in 2013/14. Yet everyone carries on like he's a run of the mill second rower.

2 Mitchell Aubusson. He's absolutely central to the Roosters' success over the past decade, but aside from a few Easts fans he never rates a mention.

3 Anthony Tupou. An incredible force 2005-2008, then he moved to Cronulla and his star faded. But what he did on those brief years at the top was exactly what you expect from a world class forward. Strangely forgotten by everyone

4 Daniel Tupou. Played 130+ games and scored 70+ tries for the most successful team of the last five years. You must be good to hold down a place in a succesful team, but everyone focusses on the razzle dazzle of his wing partner (RTS, Fergo...)

5 Chris Flannery. Flanno was the ultimate utility. Every team needs a Flannery

Interesting that the 6 most under rated players of the past 25 years all played for Easts.