What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Bartwah

Juniors
Article in the Newy herald said yesterday Sione is playing back row this year. Unless we have shit luck with injuries again, that’s the only time he’ll be playing centres. So that will happen haha

Spot On

Coach
Article in the Newy herald said yesterday Sione is playing back row this year. Unless we have shit luck with injuries again, that’s the only time he’ll be playing centres. So that will happen haha

Never thought this would happen after the ongoing concussion problems. Bench player only now?

perverse

Referee
Probably start grooming Sione as Guerra's replacement long term and just Mr. Fixit and a short stint impact backrower in the short-mid term I would think? His running game is his biggest asset, injecting him fresh at the right times could reap reward. To be honest, when players like Sione are turning into your depth, you're not in a horrible place. It's nice to see we're starting to position ourselves as a club that can afford to actually groom players long term, rather than throw them in the deep end.

slotmachine

First Grade
Guerra and Fitz play 80 minutes so to be the player on the bench you probably need to cover lock as well. To be me if everyone is fit it might be a toss up between Barnett and Sione.

Apatus

Juniors
I guess
They used six outside backs this year, Moga/Ross/Denniss/Sio/Sione/SKD

At the moment we have Moga, Ross, Lee, Ramien, SKD and trying to get Jennings which makes six. Plus Sione at a pinch if they are desperate.

While he only played fullback (?), I would have thought meaney would have been considered outside back depth.

Hit and Spin

Juniors
I guess

While he only played fullback (?), I would have thought meaney would have been considered outside back depth.
No use dwelling on Meaney. He's gone unfortunately. We will just have to see if he gets his chance at the Dogs in a similar vein to K Holland who has been solid but not outstanding.

slotmachine

First Grade
That's a good point, maybe the last signing will be a full back/outside back type.

Outside of ponga and Watson there's really only Ross for fullback, and one of those two needs to play 5/8

Knight Vision

First Grade
Probably start grooming Sione as Guerra's replacement long term and just Mr. Fixit and a short stint impact backrower in the short-mid term I would think? His running game is his biggest asset, injecting him fresh at the right times could reap reward. To be honest, when players like Sione are turning into your depth, you're not in a horrible place. It's nice to see we're starting to position ourselves as a club that can afford to actually groom players long term, rather than throw them in the deep end.
This

Frank Facer

First Grade
I just don't believe there's much he can provide the team from 5/8 that he can't provide from fullback, aside from being a speed bump for opposition forwards all game. I just fundamentally disagree with you, and that's fine.

And geez you're really stretching to say Kalyn hasn't made it clear that he wants to play fullback. Really stretching.
If he didn't want to play fullback, then I doubt Brown would move him there. I do recall hearing/reading that Brown said, Ponga would choose where he plays.

I have always had a theory that the team with the best pair of halves in the best chance of winning the comp, as long as their forwards can at least hold their own. In recent times I have added fullback to my equation. I understand your sentiments and I know that he is an amazing fullback. I just think he looks like an out and out 5/8, as long as he can develop his kicking game. I can see him becoming such a dominate player at 5/8. The whole game can revolve around him there. He will be able to take more control.

I think that we should continue this discussion after he has had a full season at 5/8. Then we will be able to make a better comparison.

As someone on this forum said a while ago. Topline halves are harder to come by then top line fullbacks.

Right now I rate Brett Kenny and Thurston the best 5/8's I have seen. I think Ponga will be pushing for that mantle by the end of his career.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Have to agree with Brett Kenny, he was in another class at the time. Cool customer was Kenny. I still marvel at that backline. Best club backline ever assembled.
I have said for a while now that Brett Kenny should be made an immortal. He won 4 premierships with Parra in the early to mid 80's. He was good enough to take the 5/8 position ahead of Wally Lewis on the 82 Kangaroo tour. Then on the 86 tour Lewis was captain, but they played Kenny centre ahead of Mal Meninga, with Gene Miles his centre partner.

I also rate Sterling, Johns and Thurston as the best halfbacks I have seen. I would like to see Sterlo named as a immortal too, but I doubt either Kenny or Sterling will be named. Thurston will definitely be named an immortal in the future.

Bartwah

Juniors
The knights media department is killing it. Nath Ryan is a master of his craft. Creating hype that hasn’t been felt in a LONG time :clap_tone3::clap_tone3:
Didn’t realise Gavet was the warriors starting prop last year. Guessing he gets a bench spot and pushes J Saf/Buhrer to ressies. Geez having depth is nice