What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CA Cultural Review

JJ

Immortal
Chappelli and Spock really miss the 70s

Pat Howard was a mediocre union international, that's for sure. Wonder whether he's a scapegoat here? This Chappell led in my day, and only cricketers know bullshit really is tiresome and defensive

Front-Rower

First Grade
and only cricketers know bullshit really is tiresome and defensive

I agree and cricketers knowing best may be correct at the operational levels but not at the senior management/corporate levels (unless they have obtained the correct certifications and/or degrees).

Reactions: JJ

Bazal

Post Whore
I agree and cricketers knowing best may be correct at the operational levels but not at the senior management/corporate levels (unless they have obtained the correct certifications and/or degrees).

I'd even argue against it at operational levels tbh. Cricket is an ever evolving game, like just about any sport it moves with the people who play it, and past cricketers are often simply out of touch.

Look at Chappell. Every word about the game that comes out of his mouth is completely obsolete. Even Shane Warne and some of the cricketers of that generation are behind the times.

There are no doubt some players who could cross that gap. Dizzy Gillespie seems to be one, as do guys like Brett Lee and Mike Hussey. Shane Watson, for all the criticism he has copped as a player, is another IMO. But on the whole I think former cricketers are no more qualified than non-cricketers

Reactions: JJ

simmo1

First Grade
Nearly every Aussie cricketer from the dominant era 15 years ago seems to think the answer is "just play better". Eg. Warne, M.Waugh, Hayden etc.

Eelectrica

Referee
The solution is playing better. The question is how to get them playing better. Answer that and they will play better.
I think having the test players play a bit more shield will help. As will the different pitches around the state with their own identity. Get players used to playing under different conditions. What seems to be lost with the drop-ins is the the unique identity of the pitch.
I could be wrong of course.

typicalfan

Coach
Chappelli and Spock really miss the 70s

Pat Howard was a mediocre union international, that's for sure. Wonder whether he's a scapegoat here? This Chappell led in my day, and only cricketers know bullshit really is tiresome and defensive
Pop quiz.. Where was Pat Howard when the ball tampering occurred?

What was his role again high performance manager or something.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Bunnings was probabaly shut after midnight. I'd say he was fast asleep.

Sutherland found out when he read the paper the next morning, that.s how well they communicate.

Latest posts