What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFL 2018 - Week 10

kurt faulk

Coach

so i found out something very interesting this week. the nfl doesn't view itself as a sport. it's a sports entertainment business. check it out.

https://www.mediapost.com/publicati...heories-is-the-nfl-broken-because-its-fi.html

Since you probably won’t, here’s the tl;dr: The NFL argued, and the court agreed, that people who buy tickets to an NFL game have the contractual right to a seat to watch two teams play each other, and nothing else. The court even quoted Mayer’s ticket stub, which reads: “This ticket only grants entry into the stadium and a spectator seat for the specified NFL game.” (emphasis added)

Also in 2010, in a separate court case against the NFL over branded items like hats and shirts, the league presented itself not as 32 separate teams, but as one singular business “unit in the entertainment marketplace.”

Throughout that case, the NFL repeatedly positioned itself legally as a “sports entertainment” business, not a genuinely contested “sport.” College football, for example, is legally classified as a “collegiate sport.” The only other “sports entertainment” businesses are professional wrestling and roller derby.

dogslife

Coach
There are some seriously shit games on this week. Steelers/Panties, Saints/Bengals and Rams/Hawks are the only one's worth watching

nick87

Coach

so i found out something very interesting this week. the nfl doesn't view itself as a sport. it's a sports entertainment business. check it out.

https://www.mediapost.com/publicati...heories-is-the-nfl-broken-because-its-fi.html

Since you probably won’t, here’s the tl;dr: The NFL argued, and the court agreed, that people who buy tickets to an NFL game have the contractual right to a seat to watch two teams play each other, and nothing else. The court even quoted Mayer’s ticket stub, which reads: “This ticket only grants entry into the stadium and a spectator seat for the specified NFL game.” (emphasis added)

Also in 2010, in a separate court case against the NFL over branded items like hats and shirts, the league presented itself not as 32 separate teams, but as one singular business “unit in the entertainment marketplace.”

Throughout that case, the NFL repeatedly positioned itself legally as a “sports entertainment” business, not a genuinely contested “sport.” College football, for example, is legally classified as a “collegiate sport.” The only other “sports entertainment” businesses are professional wrestling and roller derby.

That is pretty interesting. Not sure what it means, if anything... probably just a tactic they used for this legal situation and thus means nothing but it is interesting to see how they view themselves.

kurt faulk

Coach
There are some seriously shit games on this week. Steelers/Panties, Saints/Bengals and Rams/Hawks are the only one's worth watching

i've stopped waking up early to watch the redzone channel. first few weeks i would wake up at 3am and just watch what's happening in the other games as the rams have always had a late afternoon game. then about week 5 i was sitting there thinking "why the hell am i awake watching these games?" so i stopped waking up early.

kurt faulk

Coach
That is pretty interesting. Not sure what it means, if anything... probably just a tactic they used for this legal situation and thus means nothing but it is interesting to see how they view themselves.

yeah, it blew my mind when i saw how they view themselves legally.

kurt faulk

Coach
In that instance. Different case, different argument. Lawyers win. Every single time.

but in two different cases they had a similar argument.

when the jets fan sued the nfl because the cheats cheated him out of a fair game the nfl argued that they, the nfl, didn't promise him a fair game. all they promised him were seats to a game between two teams. that's it. this was their legal standing. it's not a sport, it's sports entertainment.

kurt faulk

Coach

have a look at this pass by goff.

giphy.gif

how good was that? i'm only showing it because you wouldn't have seen it as it didn't make the highlights package since higbee dropped it (what else is new?). looked even better in real time.

kurt faulk

Coach

Haha, oh man. I just saw an ad that said the giants and whiners are playing on mnf. Haha.

Their Jimmy g love got the better of them when they drew up this schedule.

abpanther

Staff member

Haha, oh man. I just saw an ad that said the giants and whiners are playing on mnf. Haha.

Their Jimmy g love got the better of them when they drew up this schedule.

I'm flying out tomorrow to the states and I'll be at the game, definitely not what I was expecting earlier in the year but it'll do!

Also catching a few college football and NHL games

kurt faulk

Coach
I'm flying out tomorrow to the states and I'll be at the game, definitely not what I was expecting earlier in the year but it'll do!

bad luck man, that sucks. at least they have a qb that looks like he knows what he's doing for the game. and they're not playing the raiders so you don't have to look over your shoulder to see if someone's gonna jump you.

have fun. have you been there before?

It’ll still be good.

Let us know what that Levi Stadium is like.

I hear you can order drinks from your seat?

They should be complimentary to watch those two turds go at it!! :wink:

Sounds like a good trip, enjoy!

kurt faulk

Coach
@kurt faulk

Big game for the Rams this week.

Dirty Birds on the back of the first loss?

I’d have thought the -9.5 was a gimme.

What say you, you Faulkin’ Faulker?

well, after the first game the seaf**k's oline began talking shit about the rams dline, saying they manhandled them. saying they only care about rushing the passer and aren't physical enough to stop the run.

when asked about the comments the next day aaron donald said, "they'll see us again".

take that how you want to.

michael brockers was asked about the loss last week and he said it feels like a weight has been lifted off their shoulders. said too many people around them began to talk about being undefeated and they were playing too tight. thinks they will start to play loose again.

it all points to a beatdown. but you never know about these things.

Frederick

Staff member
I was very nervous for this game

Lucky for me the Steelers are playing their best game of the season.

Conner did go into the blue tent during that drive, dunno why but hopefully nothing too serious

Latest posts