What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your team 2019

Tiger05

First Grade
I like that however IMO Momirovskis 2 games in first grade last year we’re both better then every one of Fonuas games bar his stormer v the Cowboys

I'd love to see a couple of players come on and Momo would be a good one to do that. Fonua is going to have great attacking games as well as put on some big hits but he is slow and he is going to get caught out at NRL level defensively too often by speed players. I reckon that is our weakest position now.

Fordy20

Juniors
1. Mbye
2. Nofoaluma
3. Marsters
4. Momirovski
5. Thompson
6. Reynolds
7. Brooks
8. Packer
9. Liddle
10. Matulino
11. Lawrence
12. Matterson
13. Twal

14. Taylor
15. Musgrove
16. Aloiai
17. Mikaele

We have too many backrowers and not enough props.

Shredder

Juniors
I think thats going to be pretty close Fordy.

And I agree another prop or two wont hurt.

I like Twal at 13 and my preference would be for Mats to start off the bench. He seems to play better there.

super_coach

First Grade
I'd love to see a couple of players come on and Momo would be a good one to do that. Fonua is going to have great attacking games as well as put on some big hits but he is slow and he is going to get caught out at NRL level defensively too often by speed players. I reckon that is our weakest position now.

Mate if Fonua is in our top 17 as a regular we are in all sorts of bother

Tiger05

First Grade
Mate if Fonua is in our top 17 as a regular we are in all sorts of bother

The only other option is Momo at the moment. I can see Fonua making the team. It's our worst position though. We really need to recruit someone to fill that spot of pray Fonua improves a lot or Momo is a really good player.

super_coach

First Grade
I can understand why mullet man is popular. The media have built him up to be a cult hero and on his day can be a wrecking ball, but the bottom line is, he can’t run out of sight on a dark night, he has some real brain explosions and gets exposed by the better teams.

tiger102

Juniors
1. Mbye
2. Nofoaluma
3. Marsters
4. Momirovski
5. Thompson
6. Reynolds
7. Brooks
8. Packer
9. Liddle
10. Twal
11. Lawrence
12. Matterson
13. Taylor

14. Matulino
15. Musgrove
16. Garner
17. Mikaele

Tiger Ted

Bench
1. Mbye
2. Nofoaluma
3. Marsters
4. Momirovski
5. Thompson
6. Reynolds
7. Brooks
8. Packer
9. Liddle
10. Twal
11. Lawrence
12. Matterson
13. Taylor

14. Matulino
15. Musgrove
16. Garner
17. Mikaele
I’d b a heck of a lot more comfortable if we acquired 1 or 2 3/4’s with express pace.Opposition teams won’t b overly concerned when defending against our backline.Our wingers r also challenged under the high ball & Nofa is a dope in defence although Madge won’t tolerate Nofa’s defensive illiteracy.

tiger102

Juniors
I’d b a heck of a lot more comfortable if we acquired 1 or 2 3/4’s with express pace. Opposition teams won’t b overly concerned when defending against our backline. Our wingers r also challenged under the high ball & Nofa is a dope in defence although Madge won’t tolerate Nofa’s defensive illiteracy.
We do need some wingers with height and pace but I can't see it happening in 2019. Like someone said we have too many backrowers, Maybe midyear we can pick one or two 3/4s.

Tiger05

First Grade
1. Mbye
2. Nofoaluma
3. Marsters
4. Momirovski
5. Thompson
6. Reynolds
7. Brooks
8. Packer
9. Liddle
10. Twal
11. Lawrence
12. Matterson
13. Taylor

14. Matulino
15. Musgrove
16. Garner
17. Mikaele

This is a good team but I reckon Chee-Kam has to get a spot. He made some great runs last year close to the line.

I see though two main issues:-

1. Momirovski/left centre spot - he is really completely unknown. He has played minimal first grade and who knows how he will perform.
2. Liddle making it through 80 minutes consistently.

The positives are:-

1. That starting pack should be able to hold it's own and the bench will have impact.
2. Our spine looks pretty good. Mbye/Reynolds/Brooks & Liddle mightn't be superstars but they can all play.

The one player I'm worried about is Marsters. We need him to improve and not go backwards.

Our depth in the outside backs is also pretty poor.

Tiger Ted

Bench
This is a good team but I reckon Chee-Kam has to get a spot. He made some great runs last year close to the line.

I see though two main issues:-

1. Momirovski/left centre spot - he is really completely unknown. He has played minimal first grade and who knows how he will perform.
2. Liddle making it through 80 minutes consistently.

The positives are:-

1. That starting pack should be able to hold it's own and the bench will have impact.
2. Our spine looks pretty good. Mbye/Reynolds/Brooks & Liddle mightn't be superstars but they can all play.

The one player I'm worried about is Marsters. We need him to improve and not go backwards.

Our depth in the outside backs is also pretty poor.
The jury is out big time re that spine: 2 injury prone crocks a halfback who finally gave us a decent season but no certainty that will continue & doesn’t provide the game management thats necessary for the team to become a contender (which is y I can’t imagine the rorters being interested in him) & a fullback who is solid without being brilliant.

I reiterate the 3/4’s r not good enough & would b amongst the slowest & most vulnerable under the highball in the NRL.

Tiger05

First Grade
I'm not that worried about Brooks. He was really good last season. Our wingers will struggle under the high ball and aren't as good finishers as some other wingers in the game however Thompson showed he offers heaps last season and Nofo provides great go forward at the start of our sets.

The centres could really do with some improvement especially that left centre spot.

I think the spine is our strength. They can all play. The issue will be having players outside them who can do something as well as having forwards who can get us going forward consistently.

We look like a solid team with issues within our outside backs especially the centres and depth. We should improve on last season if we get a good run with injuries. If injuries hit we are done.

One other point is that we now look to have 2 quality edge backrowers (Lawrence and Matterson) with 2 quality back-ups (Chee-Kam and Garner). This is a big improvement on last season. We also now have two guys who should be able to play well at hooker. I'm worried Robbie gets too much game time and tries to win it all himself with the end results being we lose but he is heaps better than ET/Godinet/McIlwrick combo. Mbye at the back is a massive upgrade on Tui.

gordsy

Juniors
I reckon we will see Lawrence and Cheekam in the backs next season when injuries occur.
Losing Ivan is the best thing we have done in ages. Hopefully people who are on big money with us don't like Madge or can be moved on somehow so we can sign some depth. We don't need the quickest, tallest wingers in the comp. We just need solid defenders with a bit of pace.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I think Garner will have a breakthrough season in 19. The guy had played center/wing his whole career and only got moved to the back row at the start of last year. He scored like 13 tries in 15 games before getting moved to the top squad.

He has the perfect frame for the modern edge forward and now that he’s in the full time squad will put on 4-5kgs of muscle fairly easily. Really think this guy will be a long term back rower for us.

Tigerm

First Grade
Inserts from CEO email

We also welcomed a number of new players to Wests Tigers when pre-season kicked off at the beginning of the month. Ryan Matterson and Paul Momirovski both joined us following successful seasons with the Sydney Roosters, with Matterson a part of the Premiership winning squad and Momirovski making his NRL debut and scoring the match winning try in the preliminary final. Last week we also welcomed Zane Musgrove to the club, Zane brings size and strength to our pack and is a welcome addition.

Our Top 30 squad for 2019 also includes three players who were development players last year. Sam McIntyre (SR), Thomas Mikaele (P), and Dylan Smith (FB) have all successfully made the transition into the full time squad

Off the field I’m delighted to announce that 2018 was a historic year for Wests Tigers. For the first time in the club’s history we have turned a profit, with Wests Tigers recording an unaudited profit of almost $400,000. This is an improvement of more than $2.7 million on the year before and many millions more ahead of the years before.

Seems good news all round, I must admit I didn't think much of "Go" but she seems to be guiding us in the right direction.

gordsy

Juniors
400k is great but I'd love to know what the plans are to Increase this year on year without the need for huge success on the field.

Fordy20

Juniors
I must admit I didn't think much of "Go" but she seems to be guiding us in the right direction.

Can't argue with those kinds of results. I wasn't happy when Potter got the arse or when they hired Taylor as his replacement, but since then we haven't gone backwards on the coaching front and it looks like the back office is healthier than ever. To be one of the only clubs turning a profit. that's gotta be something to be proud of.

Tigerm

First Grade
So going through the previous posts it seems no one has any room for Farah & Marshall?
To me, they're at the end of their careers, but they answered the call, when we had no one available and until we find someone better they should be available to be selected for the first team.