What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US World Cup hosting plans torpedoed by money trouble

Springs09

Juniors
Dumping the US was just another example of the amatuer hour that our sport is a exponent of in terms of International exposure.

The RLIF couldn't spend another 6-12 months trying to source or look to tender for further interest in the 2025 RLWC?

There is no hope for this sport while the current twerps are in charge.. :confused:

The US isn't ruled out as host, it just isn't 'conditionally awarded' to the US anymore.

Springs09

Juniors
For where the game is at the moment I think a Pacific World Cup would be better than the US for 2025, advertised specifically as 'Pacific' and not 'Australia' or 'Australia/New Zealand' like in 2008 and 2017.

It might be hard but we really should try to host some games in the islands. Say if of the 31 games we have:
New Zealand - 15 (2 Quarter Finals, Semi Final, Final)
Australia - 6 (Quarter Final, Semi Final)
Papua New Guinea - 4 (Quarter Final)
Fiji - 2
Samoa - 2
Tonga - 2

I think that's doable.

Whatwhere

Juniors
The US isn't ruled out as host, it just isn't 'conditionally awarded' to the US anymore.

It was only 'conditionally awarded' because Moore Sports sort it out. The only way it could be resolved is if there is another party willing to take over the bid which there doesn't appear to be. The USARL most certainly aren't equipped to do so. Simply put their isn't the necessary base available for it. Hell, there are more AFL teams in the States (37) than there are RL teams (16).

The odds of this actually happening were always very low. There's nowhere near enough RL interest in the States to have made it viable and Moore Sports were always looking to use this to launch a league concept of the back of it in 2029. Something they tried first with Rugby but failed and Rugby has a much greater reach comparatively to that of League in the US.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
PACIFIC WORLD CUP PROPOSAL:
Final: Eden Park, Auckland - 50k

Semi-Finals (Double Header): ANZ Stadium, Sydney - 45 - 60k
This is a little ambitious but Australia, England and New Zealand would bring along around 40 - 50k fans and if we get the Tongan juggernaut making the semis again it could easily boost the crowd to 60k+. I know we can't guarantee the teams that will make it, but we could market it this way before the tournament and try and shift the bulk of the tickets before hand.

Quarter-Finals: Eden Park, Auckland, PNG, North QLD Stadium
I think we need to be flexible with the quarters and hold them in stadia based on the match ups. I know this doesn't allow much time to plan for travel but fans and teams aren't 100% sure which venue they'll be playing at in the quarters anyway. Just ask Wales / USA in 2013 and NZ / Tonga in 2017. With the seeding as they are, you are going to have Australia, England, New Zealand and Tonga into the quarters, even if they don't win their pool, so I would go:

• Tonga and NZ's games at Eden Park as a double header (hopefully with a bit of luck against Samoa and the Cooks for a bigger crowd) - 40k
  • PNG in PNG (if they don't make it then England can play there as a teir 1 nation will sell-out and as a reward for the loyal PNG fans) - 15k
  • Australia in Townsville - the Kangaroos, even against Lebanon, France, Ireland or Wales could sell-out at the new North QLD stadium - 25k
  • New Zealand in Auckland 15 - 20k
Pools:
Again we need to be practical. PNG to host all of their games, Tonga to play in Hamilton, NZ, Mt Smart and WSS, The Kangaroos to play the tournament opener at Newcastle which is likely to sell-out, Samoa to play in Hamilton, Auckland and WSS where possible, Lebanon to play at WSS (hopefully against Tonga / Samoa / Kangaroos. Essentially, we need to schedule much better than we did in 2017. At least this time the NSW Government looks like they learnt their lesson and will bid for games.

https://www.nsw.gov.au/your-governm...s-from-the-premier/10-world-cups-in-10-years/

I don't think Fiji, Tonga and Samoa have suitable stadia to host matches at this point, unless the Government wants to build something modern and around 15k size as part of their bid to host matches. It might also be stretching it too thin to have matches played in six countries.

Springs09

Juniors
I don't think Fiji, Tonga and Samoa have suitable stadia to host matches at this point, unless the Government wants to build something modern and around 15k size as part of their bid to host matches. It might also be stretching it too thin to have matches played in six countries.

Well I disagree, obviously. They have hosted matches in the past and it's not like the locals will be expecting anything more. Are we too embarrassed to have these stadiums shown on television or something?

I also don't see why we need double-headers, especially for big games. Tonga and NZ quarter finals as a double header? They are 2 of our biggest drawing games. And no need for the semis to be a double-header, you call it 'ambitious' but 45k is not ambitious, we got 52k for the semi-finals last year in different stadiums. Wembley in 2013 was understandable but for 2 host nations there is no need.

deluded pom?

Coach

This is a little ambitious but Australia, England and New Zealand would bring along around 40 - 50k fans and if we get the Tongan juggernaut making the semis again it could easily boost the crowd to 60k+. I know we can't guarantee the teams that will make it, but we could market it this way before the tournament and try and shift the bulk of the tickets before hand.

I think we need to be flexible with the quarters and hold them in stadia based on the match ups. I know this doesn't allow much time to plan for travel but fans and teams aren't 100% sure which venue they'll be playing at in the quarters anyway. Just ask Wales / USA in 2013 and NZ / Tonga in 2017. With the seeding as they are, you are going to have Australia, England, New Zealand and Tonga into the quarters, even if they don't win their pool, so I would go:

• Tonga and NZ's games at Eden Park as a double header (hopefully with a bit of luck against Samoa and the Cooks for a bigger crowd) - 40k
  • PNG in PNG (if they don't make it then England can play there as a teir 1 nation will sell-out and as a reward for the loyal PNG fans) - 15k
  • Australia in Townsville - the Kangaroos, even against Lebanon, France, Ireland or Wales could sell-out at the new North QLD stadium - 25k
Pools:
Again we need to be practical. PNG to host all of their games, Tonga to play in Hamilton, NZ, Mt Smart and WSS, The Kangaroos to play the tournament opener at Newcastle which is likely to sell-out, Samoa to play in Hamilton, Auckland and WSS where possible, Lebanon to play at WSS (hopefully against Tonga / Samoa / Kangaroos. Essentially, we need to schedule much better than we did in 2017. At least this time the NSW Government looks like they learnt their lesson and will bid for games.

https://www.nsw.gov.au/your-governm...s-from-the-premier/10-world-cups-in-10-years/

Another ‘let’s send the Poms to PNG’ post. I wish I had a pound for every time I’ve read that on here.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Well I disagree, obviously. They have hosted matches in the past and it's not like the locals will be expecting anything more. Are we too embarrassed to have these stadiums shown on television or something?

I also don't see why we need double-headers, especially for big games. Tonga and NZ quarter finals as a double header? They are 2 of our biggest drawing games. And no need for the semis to be a double-header, you call it 'ambitious' but 45k is not ambitious, we got 52k for the semi-finals last year in different stadiums. Wembley in 2013 was understandable but for 2 host nations there is no need.

Re: Pacific Stadia
No - I just think that if we are going to stretch the world cup to six nations, we may as well try and leave a legacy with an all-seater stadium out of the Government. Why not?

Re: A double header quarter final at Eden Park - neither the Kiwis v Samoa/PNG/Fiji/Lebanon or Tonga v Samoa/PNG/Fiji/Lebanon wouldn't combine for 40k. Sure Tonga would pull a big crowd - if against Samoa it would be massive, if against someone else, maybe 15k, but the Kiwis match would struggle to get to 12k. Having both games at Eden builds it into an event that draws more neutrals in.

Re: A double header semi final at ANZ - the semis combined for 52k at the last world cup because we lucked out with Tonga. Had NZ been in that semi at Mt Smart the crowd would have been around 20k. This is why I was conservative with my crowd figure because thankfully, our game has reached a point that the semi-final spots can be unpredictable. I think pulling 60k to ANZ would be a very good look for the tournament and is doable with the right teams competing. The scenes at Wembly were iconic for the 2013 semi-final double header. It is good for the game to have that big match atmosphere at a world cup.

Anyway - I can see your points and accept that we may see things differently.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Another ‘let’s send the Poms to PNG’ post. I wish I had a pound for every time I’ve read that on here.

Do you think it's a bad idea? It would be great for the locals to watch one of the best teams go around and good for England because after playing their pool games in the heat of PNG, they will be able to handle conditions in NZ, Sydney and Brisbane much better come the knock-out phase.

deluded pom?

Coach
Do you think it's a bad idea? It would be great for the locals to watch one of the best teams go around and good for England because after playing their pool games in the heat of PNG, they will be able to handle conditions in NZ, Sydney and Brisbane much better come the knock-out phase.
Not really. Do you seriously think it would be good to send players from a NH Autumn to play in a SH tropical Spring?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Not really. Do you seriously think it would be good to send players from a NH Autumn to play in a SH tropical Spring?

I guess it's part of adapting to an increasingly global game. Wales and Ireland did it in the last world cup. Australia's national soccer team travel to all sorts of different climates when they play in Asian qualifiers. I take it as a sign of growth for the game. Plus from all reports, from Ireland, Wales, USA and England Knights players, it is a RL experience that they will never forget.

Pommy

Coach
I guess it's part of adapting to an increasingly global game. Wales and Ireland did it in the last world cup. Australia's national soccer team travel to all sorts of different climates when they play in Asian qualifiers. I take it as a sign of growth for the game. Plus from all reports, from Ireland, Wales, USA and England Knights players, it is a RL experience that they will never forget.

But could it be seen as gamesmanship? Sending a top team to play all their group games in that climate could have a knock on effect later in the competition.
When Australia travel to asia its to either play Asian nations or to play in a tournament held in an Asian nation, that not exactly what is being discussed here.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Bigger issue is why waste england from a drawing a crowd perspective. Png will sell out their games regardless of whose playing. England are a good draw in Australian cities, 15k in Perth with most of them being england fans shows this. Seems a waste to send them to png when they could be drawing crowds in Oz.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Bigger issue is why waste england from a drawing a crowd perspective. Png will sell out their games regardless of whose playing. England are a good draw in Australian cities, 15k in Perth with most of them being england fans shows this. Seems a waste to send them to png when they could be drawing crowds in Oz.

Good point

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Honestly, it seems a massive waste of time to focus so much effort on the US and it shows some pretty one-dimensional thinking...

The US is a massive, established, insular market; we are NEVER gonna break into it. What RL should do is learn the lessons of the successful sports of the US (Baseball and NFL). I think the obvious lesson is that these sports were established and popular BEFORE the US became the richest country on earth.

Forget about the US. Look for countries that are about to boom but still dont have a big middle-class yet and go their. Countries in South America, Africa and Asia would be the better bets. Maybe the WC for that year would not be profitable, but we would probably see PNG-esque crowds and it would probably leave a lasting impact.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Pools:

Yep, if we decide to go with a safe bet, and NZ/Pacific WC would still be a good result. We all saw how well PNG went at hosting their pool...

As i said in my previous post, even if the event lose money, they would leave a big impact on the locals.

(I would add Hawaii to the list of hosts too, and id probably rig the pools to put Australia into that group)

Pommy

Coach
Yep, if we decide to go with a safe bet, and NZ/Pacific WC would still be a good result. We all saw how well PNG went at hosting their pool...

As i said in my previous post, even if the event lose money, they would leave a big impact on the locals.

(I would add Hawaii to the list of hosts too, and id probably rig the pools to put Australia into that group)

Hawaii is a seriously long way away for teams to be flying in the middle of a tournament.

Latest posts