What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robert Jennings

denis preston

First Grade
No way will laurie go to lock ridiculous idea to slow with lateral defence will serve his apprenticeship coming off the bench in short stints as prop 13 will be Tyson or aitken if jack is not available see aitken as a real Timmons like 13 and no he does not need time to adjust because he has been a lock all his bloody life blocker to lock you have no bloody idea

FFS , take a breath !!

possm

Coach
If required, I think Frizell is the obvious player to replace Debelin, but I would consider having Lucky replace Debelin. Tell him to concentrate on hitting the ball up and making tackles and if the opportunity presents itself, take it. I think Lucky's build makes him more suited to the middle. If Frizell was to play lock, then I would play Lucky second row.

We need good solid workhorse type players in the middle. Lawrie is the obvious choice. Least disruption to a well balanced pack of forwards.

For now Frizell is great on the right edge and all he needs to change is he needs to adopt more variety in his running lines. Opposition defence are a wake up to his inside line.

Leilua has enough problems defending on the left edge, not only would he let too many through down the middle, his running out wide in attack would be greatly missed. My forward pack would be:
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10. Graham
11. T Sims
12. Frizell
13. Lawrie

14. Robson
15. K Sims
16. New prop/Kerr/Timm
17. Leilua

In the off-season the likes of Lawrie and Robson need to be super fit and well trained for their new rolls. They must be able to step up.

I'd prefer to see a top grade prop join the prop rotaton rather then a new lock to replace De Belin if that is the way things go. Otherwise De Belin to 13 and Lawrie to the prop rotation off the bench.

Jennings would be a marked improvement on what we currently have. Both he and Pearson are natural left sided players.

Wondering whether Jennings could play left centre as well as he plays left wing?

Ravalawa, Pereira. and Lomax will compete for the right wing spot.
If Jennings also plays centre stick play him there. Lomax showed sufficient to be the other starting centre. Dud Aitken should be moved forthwith to the Reserves.

possm

Coach
You are joking, aren't you. You can not get serious. If you are, congratulation for typing one of the most ridiculous comments ever seen on this forum.

I think you should adjust your tone. There is absolutely no reason to get personal on such an issue.

I'd like to see you come up with constructive criticism with regards to Lawrie's unsuitability for the lock role and the reason you think McInnes should not move to lock for a while when Robson comes on in the hooker rotation and Lawrie is rested.

I've seen Lawrie in action and he would defend well at lock and give it all he's got in attack down the middle. McInnes's defensive work rate together with Robson's style of play would give the Dragons the opportunity to launch variety in attack while still maintaining the middle defence contribution McInnes gives in the middle. This defensive work by McInnes is so important to our overall defensive structure in the middle.

We need good solid workhorse type players in the middle. Lawrie is the obvious choice. Least disruption to a well balanced pack of forwards.

For now Frizell is great on the right edge and all he needs to change is he needs to adopt more variety in his running lines. Opposition defence are a wake up to his inside line.

Leilua has enough problems defending on the left edge, not only would he let too many through down the middle, his running out wide in attack would be greatly missed. My forward pack would be:
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10. Graham
11. T Sims
12. Frizell
13. Lawrie

14. Robson
15. K Sims
16. New prop/Kerr/Timm
17. Leilua

In the off-season the likes of Lawrie and Robson need to be super fit and well trained for their new rolls. They must be able to step up.

I'd prefer to see a top grade prop join the prop rotaton rather then a new lock to replace De Belin if that is the way things go. Otherwise De Belin to 13 and Lawrie to the prop rotation off the bench.
You want your lock preferably to have some ball skills. Lawrie is a promising player but to date lacks required ball skills. I prefer he made impact off the bench untill he matures to fill the starting post as a prop.

Is JBD about to be sacked? Whata nong if guilty. Had everything going for him. Was my pick for a Kangaroo jumper soon.

possm

Coach
You want your lock preferably to have some ball skills. Lawrie is a promising player but to date lacks required ball skills. I prefer he made impact off the bench untill he matures to fill the starting post as a prop.

Is JBD about to be sacked? Whata nong if guilty. Had everything going for him. Was my pick for a Kangaroo jumper soon.

We don't know all the facts however, if he is not acquitted, it is likely his contract will be cancelled. I'd say we have more than enough ball players on the field with Widdop, Hunt and Norman. Vaughan and T Sims have a good off-load and Leilua when he comes on also has a good offload.

Of course there is the Lafai flick and Lomax has a good passing game. If Dufty is at fullback, he also has a good passing game. It is my view that with less fancywork from the middle and more concentration in solid defence and punishing attack, our team might look a little more organised and thus execute plays much more smoothly.

Datramp

Juniors
I think you should adjust your tone. There is absolutely no reason to get personal on such an issue.

I'd like to see you come up with constructive criticism with regards to Lawrie's unsuitability for the lock role and the reason you think McInnes should not move to lock for a while when Robson comes on in the hooker rotation and Lawrie is rested.

I've seen Lawrie in action and he would defend well at lock and give it all he's got in attack down the middle. McInnes's defensive work rate together with Robson's style of play would give the Dragons the opportunity to launch variety in attack while still maintaining the middle defence contribution McInnes gives in the middle. This defensive work by McInnes is so important to our overall defensive structure in the middle.

No problem with Lawrie at lock. However I do have an issue with McInnes in back row. If you want to give Lawrie a break, move Frizz to lock and bring Leluia on.

Old Timer

Coach
If JDB is not available it appears logical to me that Sims goes to lock and Leilua & Host share the left back row position.
IMO out of the back row JDB is actually the easiest to replace.

possm

Coach
If JDB is not available it appears logical to me that Sims goes to lock and Leilua & Host share the left back row position.
IMO out of the back row JDB is actually the easiest to replace.

T Sims and Frizell are our best edge forwards. I am sure Leilua will come off the bench to give them a rest during each game.

We need good middle forwards for lock and it is my view that at the moment De Belin and Lawrie are the two most suitable players to hold that position. Of course Lawrie is not up to De Belin standard right now but I think he can do the job if required.

Moving McInnes to 'the backrow' is not what I said. I said move him to the lock position which is in the middle rather than on an edge. I Robson is at hooker we will gain a lot in attack but possibly lose some stiff defence in the middle as McInnes is our work horse in the middle and racks up a huge number of tackles each game. Having McInnes at lock ensures we do not lose that defensive capability in the middle.

I believe part of the problem last year is that we were loading up our edge forwards with extra work when we moved them to prop or lock where they were obliged to tackle their hearts out prior to being replaced. Bad for the player and not so good for our defence in the middle.

BLM01

First Grade

I will provide constructive criticism re Lawrie to lock although this is a Jennings thread.
To be a lock you need a bit of footwork and lateral movement and get close to being a 80min player. And I dont mean I slight step or change of angle of either foot to find a hole, you need a good step and ability to change direction at some pace. JDB and Sims have it.
Lawrie does not and is purely a bowling ball ready to skittle em over as he has good leg speed, runs the right height to the ground and drives his legs after impact. His build suits that and with getting his body right and game time / fitness up is a perfect example of how to get our sets rolling with Vaughan in time.

Trying to make him into a 80min ball playing lock in the middle in attack and / or out wide in defense is exactly the same stupid mistake made with Merrin that cost him consistency and started him thinking too much about becoming a fancy nancy and he went slightly downhill since then. Merrin could of been our next Mick Weyman with an offload bursting through the line as he was a big unit with leg speed but some thought different.

McInnes...just cant agree..he is good solid hooker, might as well put anyone to lock if it is that easy. I have heard about 6 names so far now from Widdop to Mcinnes, Aitken, Robson and few other forwards thrown into the mix.
We are making this all too complicated shuffling blokes here and there when our forwards are just about set.
By all means a rotation with McInnes and Robson is fine at 9.

Last edited:

The calm one

Juniors

I am not getting personal I am stating fact. He is a prop not a lock. End of story
:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grin::grin::grin:

possm

Coach
I will provide constructive criticism re Lawrie to lock although this is a Jennings thread.
To be a lock you need a bit of footwork and lateral movement. And I dont mean I slight step or change of angle of either foot to find a hole, you need a good step and ability to change direction at some pace. JDB and Sims have it.
Lawrie does not and is purely a bowling ball ready to skittle em over as he has good leg speed, runs the right height to the ground and drives his legs after impact. His build suits that and with getting his body right and game time / fitness up is a perfect example of how to get our sets rolling with Vaughan in time.

Trying to make him into a ball playing lock in the middle in attack and / or out wide in defense is exactly the same stupid mistake made with Merrin that cost him consistency and started him thinking too much about becoming a fancy nancy and he went slightly downhill since then. Merrin could of been our next Mick Weyman with an offload bursting through the line as he was a big unit with leg speed but some thought different.

McInnes...just cant agree..he is good solid hooker, might as well put anyone to lock if it is that easy. I have heard about 6 names so far now from Widdop to Mcinnes, Aitken, Robson and few other forwards thrown into the mix.
We are making this all too complicated shuffling blokes here and there when our forwards are just about set.
By all means a rotation with McInnes and Robson is fine at 9.
You make a good argument however, I believe with Norman, Hun and Widdop we will have more capacity to move the ball around than we ever had before. Our problem is to have middle forwards to can plug the holes up the middle and barge up the field. Our edge forwards can do the fancy work and our backs can capitalise on the slick passing game of Norman, Widdop, Hunt, Lomax and Dufty.

On many occasions last season I saw our tired edge forwards taking a stint in the middle and so tired they found it hard to get back into position each set. Our middle was breached in defence at times because of this problem. Our two props, hooker and lock are responsible for plugging the holes up the middle. I am very sure that having Robson and McInnes on the field for a period will only add to defensive capability in the middle.

I love De Belin as a player however, sometimes I feel he spent too much time being fancy with his footwork and passing game rather than being there in defence and creating the opportunities in attack.

Como Connection

First Grade
You make a good argument however, I believe with Norman, Hun and Widdop we will have more capacity to move the ball around than we ever had before. Our problem is to have middle forwards to can plug the holes up the middle and barge up the field. Our edge forwards can do the fancy work and our backs can capitalise on the slick passing game of Norman, Widdop, Hunt, Lomax and Dufty.

On many occasions last season I saw our tired edge forwards taking a stint in the middle and so tired they found it hard to get back into position each set. Our middle was breached in defence at times because of this problem. Our two props, hooker and lock are responsible for plugging the holes up the middle. I am very sure that having Robson and McInnes on the field for a period will only add to defensive capability in the middle.

I love De Belin as a player however, sometimes I feel he spent too much time being fancy with his footwork and passing game rather than being there in defence and creating the opportunities in attack.
Agree that he needs to hit the ball up and forget the fancy bits.
CC

possm

Coach
I am not getting personal I am stating fact. He is a prop not a lock. End of story
:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grin::grin::grin:

A lock is often referred to as the 3rd prop. Props and the lock all defend the middle ground and mostly attack through the middle. These 3 players together should plug the holes in defence up the middle. They should also be the ones who run straight and hard up the middle.

BLM01

First Grade

I agree with everything you and you dont disagree with me except Robson is too light on ATM for the rigours of 1st grade middle defensive work in large minutes. He will get there but not yet. I watched him play in ISP and whilst he attacks OK...his defense is alright but defending in 1st grade is a hard job in the guts. I think it is a mistake to have 2 lighter forwards in McInnes & Robson on at the same time in the middle.

Latest posts