What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Fonua be transformed into a 30 minute wrecking ball?

mepelthwack

Juniors
You know, 15 minutes at the end of each half, just charge the ball up like a wounded bull in the forwards and smash in defence?

I vaguely remember someone else suggesting it or at least hinting at it and thinking at the time yeh I agree so this is not completely my idea.

I keep hearing our forwards lack punch, too soft etc and it looks like we won’t be signing anyone (good) soon so should Maguire try this out? Maybe in the trials and see if it works?

It could be a transition period for Fonua I mean when we have back injuries he can still slot back to centre.

Are these thoughts realistic?

Tiger05

First Grade
He is a wrecking ball but I don't know where you play him. He is slow and it's okay in attack because he offloads all the times and runs over the top of people. The problem is that he gets caught out defensively both from being slow and from dropping the ball.

Could he handle it in the forwards ? Is he the best option as an impact forward in are we better off with someone like Mikaele or Aloiai ?

Shredder

Juniors
Hes a winger. He plays well when hes playing on the end of a moderate to decent backline.

Hes the kind of winger that will make good settlers on the 1st and 2nd.

Anything else is asking too much of him.

Lets see what Maguire does with him in the pre season. Will he bulk him up, or trim him down and speed him up?

To me he was always a depth player.

ATOWN2

Juniors
Fonua should have stayed in the Super League. A bit too small to be a forward and a bit too slow to be a Winger / Centre.

gordsy

Juniors
You know, 15 minutes at the end of each half, just charge the ball up like a wounded bull in the forwards and smash in defence?

I vaguely remember someone else suggesting it or at least hinting at it and thinking at the time yeh I agree so this is not completely my idea.

I keep hearing our forwards lack punch, too soft etc and it looks like we won’t be signing anyone (good) soon so should Maguire try this out? Maybe in the trials and see if it works?

It could be a transition period for Fonua I mean when we have back injuries he can still slot back to centre.

Are these thoughts realistic?
That was my idea. I don't care how hard he hits in defence as long as he put people on their back the first time. This obsession with size is too played out in my opinion. Beau Ryan had plenty of heart braining the ball back and made more metres than plenty of guys far bigger than him as did angry Matt Utai.
Look at a guys like blair tamou, galloway etc and compare them to gallen. Now according to the net gallen is the lightest of them all but would be most peoples first choice to sign.