What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
Get a load of this, some of these are hilarious.
19 bold predictions for the 2019 NRL season

Anthony Griffin to be picked up by the Sharks

In the minds of many ‘Hook’ was unjustly punted by Phil Gould and the Panthers’ hierarchy — with the reason reportedly being he was too “old school”.

Yet before he was shown the door, the Panthers led the competition after 14 rounds and were on track for a top four finish.

The Sharks of course are now without a head coach, with assistants John Morris and Jim Dymock taking on the caretaker role with Shane Flanagan deregistered.

So respected is Griffin that he was sounded out by Waratahs coach Daryl Gibson to help out with the Super Rugby franchise’s attack.

The one sticking point is the relationship between Griffin and Sharks star Matt Moylan, which deteriorated badly, and resulted in Moylan being traded for James Maloney.

But Griffin has proven he can mend fractured relationships.

He and Peter Wallace parted ways on less than friendly terms at the Broncos when the coach moved him on. But together again at the Panthers the pair not only buried the hatchet but actually grew closer.

Panthers to miss finals

There is enormous pressure on a number of key people at the Panthers.

None more so than Ivan Cleary, who infamously ditched the Tigers mid-contract this year to return to the foot of the mountains.

Cleary wanted to coach his son and NSW halfback Nathan, and club supremo Phil Gould brought back the man he sacked just three years ago to lock up Nathan long-term.

This also places significant pressure on the 21-year-old playmaker, and of course Gould himself.

Whether all this affects the playing group remains to be seen, but one thing that certainly will is the loss of Blues utility Tyrone Peachey.

The ‘Peach’ has been the unsung hero at Penrith. He can cover any position and has arguably been their most dangerous attacking weapon in recent seasons.

Cowboys to win the premiership

They could only do it once while Immortal-in-waiting Johnathan Thurston was pulling the strings, and yet I’ve tipped them to win the competition in their first year without him.

That would be bold, if not for the masterful recruitment effort of the Cowboys ahead of the 2019 season.

Kangaroos lock Josh McGuire adds aggression, mongrel, go-forward and most importantly 100 per cent effort to their forward pack.

Even Wally Lewis admitted he was in shock the Broncos let him go.

“He could come up against his father and smash him to bits and wait until full-time to ask his dad how he was feeling,” the Immortal joked.

With McGuire joining the likes of Jason Taumalolo, Jordan McLean and Matt Scott, plus back-rowers of the ilk of Coen Hess and Gavin Cooper, they’ll have the competition’s best pack.

Michael Morgan has always played his best football when he’s the dominant playmaker, and they also have no shortage of big bodies in the backline to get their sets rolling from out of their own end.

With Ben Barba putting the polish on their attacking plays, and the two best finishers in the game outside him in Nene Macdonald and Kyle Feldt, they are in for a bumper year.

New look Maroons spine
Cameron Munster has made no secret of his desire to play fullback for the Storm, and being the player he is Kevin Walters will likely give him the option to play there for Queensland too.

Of course, it helps that they have plenty of playmaking options to choose from barring injury.

Michael Morgan and Daly Cherry-Evans should get the nod as starting halves, with Kalyn Ponga applying the blowtorch as the Knights’ new No.6.

Ben Hunt was a revelation when he replaced Andrew McCullough at dummy half in this year’s series and while he won’t replace Cameron McInnes at hooker for the Dragons, Walters will have no hesitation slotting him in there for the Maroons, with Ponga taking on the utility role.
Dragons to unravel
St George Illawarra have been left reeling on the eve of the 2019 season by the alleged sexual assault by their star NSW lock Jack de Belin.

Is there a serious culture issue within the club? Only time will tell. But the charges laid against him will undoubtedly unsettle the squad.

He’s been an integral member of the Dragons for the past seven seasons, basically the glue that holds them together in the middle of the park.

So, it will be a huge challenge for Paul McGregor to find someone to fill that void if he is rubbed out of the game.

They’ve just celebrated the signing of Corey Norman, who’s an exceptionally gifted playmaker.

But will the bad outweigh the good?

His presence is sure to ruffle feathers within the playing group, with Matt Dufty likely to be dropped to NSW Cup in favour of Norman or skipper Gareth Widdop.

They still have a roster chock-full of talent but if there is any disharmony off the park, it tends to be felt on it.

Sonny Bill Williams to return to the NRL

Williams revealed to Fox Sports exclusively in November that he was planning on raising his family in Sydney.

His contract with the Auckland Blues ends at the completion of the 2019 season and the Rugby World Cup will be done and dusted by then too.

SBW and Roosters supremo Nick Politis are as close as family and have a handshake agreement that he would play for the Tricolours if he ever returned to the NRL.

When you put all that together, you’re left with the Roosters announcing the return of their premiership-winning hero for the 2020 season.

Bulldogs to collect the spoon

You have to feel sorry for Dean Pay and Josh Jackson — they simply do not have the players to challenge next year. Particularly now that David Klemmer has moved to Newcastle.

They have a couple of youngsters with loads of potential, namely backs Lachlan Lewis, Reimis Smith and Nick Meaney, but they don’t have the necessary experience across the park to avoid a last-placed finish.

It’s going to be a tough year for Canterbury fans, but Pay needs to be given time to get the club back on its feet after inheriting a wafer-thin roster.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/15f0986694312443bd2b32821065cf2d

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
Du5FAR-VsAQb3U6.jpg

@Rhyno

Tronald Crump

Juniors
Get a load of this, some of these are hilarious.
19 bold predictions for the 2019 NRL season

Anthony Griffin to be picked up by the Sharks

In the minds of many ‘Hook’ was unjustly punted by Phil Gould and the Panthers’ hierarchy — with the reason reportedly being he was too “old school”.

Yet before he was shown the door, the Panthers led the competition after 14 rounds and were on track for a top four finish.

The Sharks of course are now without a head coach, with assistants John Morris and Jim Dymock taking on the caretaker role with Shane Flanagan deregistered.

So respected is Griffin that he was sounded out by Waratahs coach Daryl Gibson to help out with the Super Rugby franchise’s attack.

The one sticking point is the relationship between Griffin and Sharks star Matt Moylan, which deteriorated badly, and resulted in Moylan being traded for James Maloney.

But Griffin has proven he can mend fractured relationships.

He and Peter Wallace parted ways on less than friendly terms at the Broncos when the coach moved him on. But together again at the Panthers the pair not only buried the hatchet but actually grew closer.

Panthers to miss finals

There is enormous pressure on a number of key people at the Panthers.

None more so than Ivan Cleary, who infamously ditched the Tigers mid-contract this year to return to the foot of the mountains.

Cleary wanted to coach his son and NSW halfback Nathan, and club supremo Phil Gould brought back the man he sacked just three years ago to lock up Nathan long-term.

This also places significant pressure on the 21-year-old playmaker, and of course Gould himself.

Whether all this affects the playing group remains to be seen, but one thing that certainly will is the loss of Blues utility Tyrone Peachey.

The ‘Peach’ has been the unsung hero at Penrith. He can cover any position and has arguably been their most dangerous attacking weapon in recent seasons.

Cowboys to win the premiership

They could only do it once while Immortal-in-waiting Johnathan Thurston was pulling the strings, and yet I’ve tipped them to win the competition in their first year without him.

That would be bold, if not for the masterful recruitment effort of the Cowboys ahead of the 2019 season.

Kangaroos lock Josh McGuire adds aggression, mongrel, go-forward and most importantly 100 per cent effort to their forward pack.

Even Wally Lewis admitted he was in shock the Broncos let him go.

“He could come up against his father and smash him to bits and wait until full-time to ask his dad how he was feeling,” the Immortal joked.

With McGuire joining the likes of Jason Taumalolo, Jordan McLean and Matt Scott, plus back-rowers of the ilk of Coen Hess and Gavin Cooper, they’ll have the competition’s best pack.

Michael Morgan has always played his best football when he’s the dominant playmaker, and they also have no shortage of big bodies in the backline to get their sets rolling from out of their own end.

With Ben Barba putting the polish on their attacking plays, and the two best finishers in the game outside him in Nene Macdonald and Kyle Feldt, they are in for a bumper year.

New look Maroons spine
Cameron Munster has made no secret of his desire to play fullback for the Storm, and being the player he is Kevin Walters will likely give him the option to play there for Queensland too.

Of course, it helps that they have plenty of playmaking options to choose from barring injury.

Michael Morgan and Daly Cherry-Evans should get the nod as starting halves, with Kalyn Ponga applying the blowtorch as the Knights’ new No.6.

Ben Hunt was a revelation when he replaced Andrew McCullough at dummy half in this year’s series and while he won’t replace Cameron McInnes at hooker for the Dragons, Walters will have no hesitation slotting him in there for the Maroons, with Ponga taking on the utility role.
Dragons to unravel
St George Illawarra have been left reeling on the eve of the 2019 season by the alleged sexual assault by their star NSW lock Jack de Belin.

Is there a serious culture issue within the club? Only time will tell. But the charges laid against him will undoubtedly unsettle the squad.

He’s been an integral member of the Dragons for the past seven seasons, basically the glue that holds them together in the middle of the park.

So, it will be a huge challenge for Paul McGregor to find someone to fill that void if he is rubbed out of the game.

They’ve just celebrated the signing of Corey Norman, who’s an exceptionally gifted playmaker.

But will the bad outweigh the good?

His presence is sure to ruffle feathers within the playing group, with Matt Dufty likely to be dropped to NSW Cup in favour of Norman or skipper Gareth Widdop.

They still have a roster chock-full of talent but if there is any disharmony off the park, it tends to be felt on it.

Sonny Bill Williams to return to the NRL

Williams revealed to Fox Sports exclusively in November that he was planning on raising his family in Sydney.

His contract with the Auckland Blues ends at the completion of the 2019 season and the Rugby World Cup will be done and dusted by then too.

SBW and Roosters supremo Nick Politis are as close as family and have a handshake agreement that he would play for the Tricolours if he ever returned to the NRL.

When you put all that together, you’re left with the Roosters announcing the return of their premiership-winning hero for the 2020 season.

Bulldogs to collect the spoon

You have to feel sorry for Dean Pay and Josh Jackson — they simply do not have the players to challenge next year. Particularly now that David Klemmer has moved to Newcastle.

They have a couple of youngsters with loads of potential, namely backs Lachlan Lewis, Reimis Smith and Nick Meaney, but they don’t have the necessary experience across the park to avoid a last-placed finish.

It’s going to be a tough year for Canterbury fans, but Pay needs to be given time to get the club back on its feet after inheriting a wafer-thin roster.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/15f0986694312443bd2b32821065cf2d

Never heard of the writer. A bit hate against us. Probably Rothfiled's love child.

A lot of rubbish there and a few bold claims to get click bait.

TheFrog

Coach
Someone no-one has heard of said:
Panthers to miss finals
I do agree with him that Cleary snr has a little bit of pressure on him, and I do agree that Peachey will be missed, but I don't agree he has been our most dangerous attacking weapon, especially last year. That mantle belongs to Kikau and Blake.

Obviously there is the chance we could have a bad year, we'll have to wait and see, but I wouldn't be betting on it. We appear to have depth other clubs could only dream of.

The other thing I think is a beat up is the Griffin-Wallace 'feud". Wallace was never dropped from the Broncos 17, he went to the bench when a better half emerged. Wallace was man enough to accept this and went on to reinvent himself at hooker under Griffin. He played every first grade game in his final season at Brisbane.

franklin2323

Immortal
I do agree with him that Cleary snr has a little bit of pressure on him, and I do agree that Peachey will be missed, but I don't agree he has been our most dangerous attacking weapon, especially last year. That mantle belongs to Kikau and Blake.

Obviously there is the chance we could have a bad year, we'll have to wait and see, but I wouldn't be betting on it. We appear to have depth other clubs could only dream of.

The other thing I think is a beat up is the Griffin-Wallace 'feud". Wallace was never dropped from the Broncos 17, he went to the bench when a better half emerged. Wallace was man enough to accept this and went on to reinvent himself at hooker under Griffin. He played every first grade game in his final season at Brisbane.

There isn't enough internet space to pull apart the lies in a News Limited article

OldPanther

Coach

Beat me to it. Kikau and Blake were so much better.

Exsilium

First Grade
Peachey is a massive loss.

Cleary needs to start showing he can lead the side. We won’t have an experienced half like Maloney for much longer and if he’s to be our main half, he needs to start showing leadership and the ability to go to another level.

Irrespective of his age, he’s been signed on marquee money and he’s been heavily invested in, there’ll be pressure to perform at the next level consistently and we need him to.

IC will also be under pressure but people will excuse any failure(s) on the basis he’s taken over from Griffin or needs time to get the systems in place etc etc

We won’t miss the eight but I don’t think we get an easy run.

RE Kikau and Blake. Their end of season for was great and it should carry over but Peach is a different type of game winner. He creates the space and time that allows guys like Kikau and Blake to get a roll on or take advantage. He will be missed.

CCJohnC

Juniors

Cleary needs to start showing he can lead the side. We won’t have an experienced half like Maloney for much longer and if he’s to be our main half, he needs to start showing leadership and the ability to go to another level.

Irrespective of his age, he’s been signed on marquee money and he’s been heavily invested in, there’ll be pressure to perform at the next level consistently and we need him to.

IC will also be under pressure but people will excuse any failure(s) on the basis he’s taken over from Griffin or needs time to get the systems in place etc etc

RE Kikau and Blake. Their end of season for was great and it should carry over but Peach is a different type of game winner. He creates the space and time that allows guys like Kikau and Blake to get a roll on or take advantage. He will be missed.

I agree Peachey is a loss but I think in Luai we have a replacement with similar unpredictability.

franklin2323

Immortal

We will make the 8. The player talent is too good not too. Still too many doubts to improve past week 2 of the finals.

Luai does have the X factor But he can only play a few positions. That is where Peachey is a big loss. He allows you to do what you want with the rest of the bench. With Luai you still need someone to cover centre and backrow

age.s

First Grade
I like Luai but there isn't a player in the NRL who gives you what Peachey does. Luai covers the halves, maybe Hooker but I wouldn't trust him anywhere else in the backline and he's obviously not going in the forwards. A 14 needs to give you more than that.

What makes Peachey so special is that he can give you spark off the bench in a tight game, cover 11/13 positions and just give a forward a spell if that's all the team needs from him.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I like Luai but there isn't a player in the NRL who gives you what Peachey does. Luai covers the halves, maybe Hooker but I wouldn't trust him anywhere else in the backline and he's obviously not going in the forwards. A 14 needs to give you more than that.

What makes Peachey so special is that he can give you spark off the bench in a tight game, cover 11/13 positions and just give a forward a spell if that's all the team needs from him.

Luai is a competent FB.

franklin2323

Immortal
Luai is a competent FB.

I agree but Gus said differently and generally gets what he wants. The problem with someone like that is what if a forward goes down early? So you need the 14 that can play in the pack if needed. I'd play Luai over a bench hooker that said