What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off Season Entertainment 1977 Grand Final Replay

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Enjoy this epic battle where we slay Parramatta after a tense draw the week before

it has everything, commentary by the Moose, biff blood sweat guts, great play, a young Reddy, Young, Starkey, Jansen and Stoney smashing them up the guts and our star studded backline carving them up out wide, touch judges getting hit with flying bottles and replaced, the WILY old Fox Harry Bath , chainsmoking on the bench right on the sideline in full showmanship .... bringing little injured Mark Schulman ( whod been kneed in the ribs by Ray Price the week before so could not play) onto the field for motivational effect after half time fully dressed , shoulder pads and all and Barry Beaths last ever game, total classic, team of legends, this was my first ever Dragons GF win as a little fella, ahh those were the days!, enjoy!
The 1977 version of McGREGOR is certainly more popular than the current version.....

getsmarty

Immortal
1977.jpg

DRAGONS

1977 grand final | Dragons v Eels
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 4 Oct 2019, 02:37 PM

There’s only one more sleep before the NRL grand final kicks off at ANZ Stadium. Before you witness the new era of history, rewind the clock to 1977 and watch the Dragons score 22 unanswered points against the more favoured Parramatta Side.

Parramatta finished the season in first place, only trumping the Dragons on for and against. And heading into the grand final, many had Parramatta as their favourite to claim the ultimate prize.

But true to the nature of both sides, the grand final finished as a draw with both sides scoring 9 points each, forcing another grand final to decide the winner.

The second time around the Dragons made no mistake and found the determination and grit ingrained into the Red V jersey during their incredible 11 premiership run just one decade earlier.

Relive the amazing match below!

remote.axd

Sign up for a free NRL Account to access this video and other exclusive content.

Already have an NRL Account?
Not sure? Learn more about NRL Account

St George Dragons: 1. Ted Goodwin, 2. Steve Butler, 3. Graham Quinn 4. Robert Finch, 5. John Chapman, 6. Rod McGregor, 17. John Bailey, 8. Bruce Starkey, 9. Steve Edge :copyright:, 10. Craig Young, 11. Robert Stone, 12. John Jansen, 13. Rod Reddy. Interchange 20. Barry Beath. Coach Harry Bath.

Parramatta Eels: 1. Mark levy, 2. Jim Porter, 3. Michael Cronin, 4. Ed Sulkowicz, 5. Graeme Atkins, 6. John Peard, 7. John Kolc, 8. Graeme Olling, 9. Ron Hilditch, 14. John Baker, 11. Ray Higgs:copyright:, 12. Geoff Gerard, 13. Ray Price. Interchange 11. Denis Fitzgerald. Coach Terry Fearnley.

St George Dragons 22 (tries: John Bailey, John Jansen, Robert Stone. goals; Ted Goodwin 6/7. Field goals; Ted Goodwin) d Parramatta Eels (goals Michael Cronin 0/4) Saturday 24th September, 1977, Sydney Cricket Ground. 47,828 attendance.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/04/1977-grand-final--dragons-v-eels/

nontime111

Juniors
Thanks for sharing, always love watching a game from back then
pleasure, it was the year I was first playing club at under 9s in Bundaberg and the first year I began as a Dragons fan, SO lucky to win it in my first year following! still remember the sheer relief of THAT missed Cronin goal, even as a tyke I knew goalkickers and thought it was all over then...

HowHigh

Coach
One thing I think we can all agree on is that goal kicking has been a big improvement lol

Enjoy this epic battle where we slay Parramatta after a tense draw the week before

it has everything, commentary by the Moose, biff blood sweat guts, great play, a young Reddy, Young, Starkey, Jansen and Stoney smashing them up the guts and our star studded backline carving them up out wide, touch judges getting hit with flying bottles and replaced, the WILY old Fox Harry Bath , chainsmoking on the bench right on the sideline in full showmanship .... bringing little injured Mark Schulman ( whod been kneed in the ribs by Ray Price the week before so could not play) onto the field for motivational effect after half time fully dressed , shoulder pads and all and Barry Beaths last ever game, total classic, team of legends, this was my first ever Dragons GF win as a little fella, ahh those were the days!, enjoy!

Actually, it was another Eels grub, Ray HIggs, who knee'd Shulman in the kidneys and effectively ended his career.
He deserved everything he got in the replay and probably hasn't stopped complaining about it yet.

nontime111

Juniors
Actually, it was another Eels grub, Ray HIggs, who knee'd Shulman in the kidneys and effectively ended his career.
He deserved everything he got in the replay and probably hasn't stopped complaining about it yet.
yes, Beathy and after a solid career you even got a go in the replay aswell, nice cameo full of the usual mungrel

Latest posts