What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The greatest club side of all time (one year only)

Special K

Coach
Sharks 2016. Set an NRL record for wins in a row and beat all other teams in the top 4 in the finals. No other team comes close. NEXT

mozza91

Coach
The Roosters side from the early 2000’s aren’t getting much love but they’re up there. Aggressive forward pack, classy outside backs and stars like Fittler, Wing and prime Minichiello creating the points.

The Bulldogs side from the same era were great aswell. A truely outstanding and well rounded forward pack.

I like how you specified this period. I also agree that the 93-95 Raiders are the best club side I've ever seen. Obviously we narrow it down to 94 for a single year, but the Raiders would have comfortably won the premiership in 93 if not for R. Stuarts ankle break. We would have pounded Brisbane in the finals like we did at Bruce a few weeks prior. In 95 we only lost 2 games all year (the best record I can recall from my time as a Raiders fan), but Manly had also only lost 2 games that season so were our equal that year (as much as it pains me to admit that). It rained in the GF qualifier and the Dogs pulled our swashbuckling attacking side into an arm wrestle and handled us....then Manly. That was the end of our era.

so dumb that he broke his leg.
so so Dumb

H.H

Juniors
The Roosters side from the early 2000’s aren’t getting much love but they’re up there. Aggressive forward pack, classy outside backs and stars like Fittler, Wing and prime Minichiello creating the points.

The Bulldogs side from the same era were great aswell. A truely outstanding and well rounded forward pack.
Yeah I reckon if we win 2003 that side would be in the mix, but we didn't and again we fell over in 2004 on a day when we should have collected all 3 grades.

Was a great era and alot of fun at the time. There were some absolutely massive nights at the leagues club over the 5-6 years, but when I look back on it now it's with disappointment as we should've gotten at least another premiership, maybe two.

Vic Mackey

Referee

1. Luke Phillips
6. Brad Fittler
7. Craig Wing
9. Simon Bonnetti

Obviously the 6 is a legend but all together it’s probably the weakest spine to win a comp in the NRL era. They won 1 comp and it was when the best team got kicked out of it. Decent club side but not in the same breath as others mentioned.

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Balmain and Canberra's 1989 sides are pretty damn hard to top.

Of the 32 players in that game the following were, or became Test players:
Canberra (11 of 16)
Gary Belcher
Mal Meninga
Laurie Daley
John Ferguson
Ricky Stuart
Glenn Lazarus
Steve Walters
Brent Todd
Gary Coyne
Bradley Clyde
Kevin Walters

Balmain (10 of 16)
Garry Jack
Andy Currier
Tim Brasher
Gary Freeman
Steve Roach
Ben Elias
Bruce McGuire
Paul Sironen
Wayne Pearce
Shaun Edwards

James Grant had played for the Wallabies (as had Ricky Stuart)

Canberra were also coached by future Test coach Tim Sheens

King hit

Coach
1. Luke Phillips
6. Brad Fittler
7. Craig Wing
9. Simon Bonnetti

Obviously the 6 is a legend but all together it’s probably the weakest spine to win a comp in the NRL era. They won 1 comp and it was when the best team got kicked out of it. Decent club side but not in the same breath as others mentioned.

The Roosters of the early 2000’s were the best team of the last decade (Melbourne 2006-2009 will always have that stigma attached). 4 grand finals in 5 years, premiers, minor premiership and world club championship is huge across 5 years.

That spine is also better than what you seem to be giving it credit for. Phillips and Bonetti were good whole hearted players, Wing was a very good player and off course you have that champion at five eighth.

Vic Mackey

Referee
That spine is also better than what you seem to be giving it credit for. Phillips and Bonetti were good whole hearted players, Wing was a very good player and off course you have that champion at five eighth.

Certainly not saying it’s a bad spine, and I don’t think a bad spine could ever a comp, however out of every Premier since 98 who was it better then?

King hit

Coach
Melbourne won the 1999 premiership with Geyer and Swain in the spine. Granted Geyer wasn’t the first choice five eighth but still.

nick87

Coach
Re: 94 Raiders v 98 Broncos
Boxing style scoring.. Knock outs get scored 10-5

1. Lockyer v Mullins: Mullins at his best was as electric as any player in the games history. But Lockyer was IMO undoubtedly a better fullback than Mullins. 10-8 Broncos

2.De Vere v Nagas: DeVere was a very good player but was more a good defensive centre than he was a winger. As a winger, Nagas leaves him in his wake. 10-8 Raiders (18-18)

3. Renouf v Meninga: Not disrespect to Pearl but this is a buzzsaw. KO. It's over. Meninga wins without batting an eye. 10-5 Raiders (28-23 Raiders)

4. Smith v Wiki: One was a solid to good footballer, the other is one of the best NZ players to ever lace a boot. Another knock out. 10-5 (38-28 Raiders)

5. Sailor v Nandruku: Very similar players, but no question Sailer was a later, better version of that sort of player. I'll give Sailor a KO here. 10-5 Broncos (43-38 Raiders)

6. Walters v Daley: Im going to be VERY kind here and give Daley a one knock down win. Which is ridiculous but im being fair. This is probably a KO. 10-8 Raiders (53-46 Raiders)

7. Langer v Stuart: Another im going to be fair on, because that's the sort of guy i am. Stuart was clearly the better player but given their resumes. Lets call this a draw. THAT's how fair im being. Im giving this a draw! Because im proving a point. 10-10 (63-56 Raiders)

8. Webcke v Lomax: Knock out win for Webcke. Lomax was a very good player but yeah, not in Webcke's class. 10-5 Broncos (68-66 Raiders)

9. Lee v Walters: I cant do any better than 10-5 KO win for Boxhead here but honestly this fight wouldnt be sanctioned anywhere. It would be like putting your or I in the ring with peak Iron Mike. 10-5 Raiders (78-71 Raiders)

10. Gee v Pongia: 35 NZ tests v a guy who was OK for QLD but not much beyond that. Neither are stars but both served their purpose. Pongia was the better player, but im generous. Lets call it a draw. 10-10 (88-81 Raiders)

11. Tallis v Croker: Love Croker but yeah this is a mismatch. Tallis in a KO. 10-5 Broncos. (93-91 Raiders)

12. Thorn v Furner: Im going to ignore Thorn's RU career, which i think has been way better than his RL career. Both VERY good RL back rowers. Both extremely under-rated. But again, im a kind a generous man. So ill shade it Thorns way. 10-9 Broncos (102-102 TIE)

13. Carroll v Clyde: And in the final round the Raiders who have the edge across the park in everywhere but a winger, the back row and a prop, lands the final knock out punch. 10-5 Raiders (112-107 Raiders)

Latest posts