What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michael Chee-Kam charged with assault on Uber driver

SBD82

Coach
Surely it would depend on the job and crime.

A footballers life with lotsa money, lotsa time on his hands and a pretty skewed experience of life would probably contribute to upper thigh grabbing behaviour.
That's a fair point, and there's no research (to my knowledge) that's been done for this small subsection of the population.

Anecdotally, it does seem that current players are being charged with offences such as DV and sexual assault more regularly than their retired counterparts. But the retirees have a monopoly on being charged with trafficking offences and homicide.

Valheru

Coach
The governing bodies of each sport showing what is and isn’t acceptable.
You’re right. There are no similarities.
CA have balls, NRL clearly don’t.

One is showing what is and isn't acceptable within the context of actions on the field.

The other is charged by some on here with showing what is and isn't acceptable in society and being the ethics police which is not their job IMO.

They are completely separate issues.

T.S Quint

Coach
That's not true

There are plenty of jobs requiring both of those things that you can do if you have a DUI.

Either way, quite clearly people are excluded from those roles due to convictions because they are considered a danger to people during the course of their job e.g. children in the case of teachers.

So banning sports players for a single criminal conviction would not be to protect anyone and would be a moralistic stance, one that goes beyond the judicial punishments.

It would be a moralistic stance, you are right. But what’s wrong with that?
The NRL is a business that relies on sponsorship, media attention and viewers to survive. If there is someone within their business that threatens that survival they are within their rights to exclude them from their business.

There are too many bad news stories coming from the world of Rugby League, and enough is enough. Some people may not believe it hurts the bottom line, but I’m not one of those people.
People can blame the media all they want for only reporting on the bad stories, but if there’s none to report they would have to focus on the actual game for once.

T.S Quint

Coach
One is showing what is and isn't acceptable within the context of actions on the field.

The other is charged by some on here with showing what is and isn't acceptable in society and being the ethics police which is not their job IMO.

They are completely separate issues.

The NRL is allowed to judge what is acceptable for people who are employed by them. These are public figures and the NRL is a very public business. Should they not be able to choose who they have represent their game in the public eye?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The NRL is allowed to judge what is acceptable for people who are employed by them. These are public figures and the NRL is a very public business. Should they not be able to choose who they have represent their game in the public eye?
Depends - they don't directly employ players, the clubs do.

magpie_man

Juniors
Unfortunately no amount of education can out weigh ego

I'd say that a significant proportion of professional athletes are wankers; it just comes with the territory.
They've been dealt the genetic royal flush of excelling in a field that is borderline deified and it inevitably goes to their heads - it'd be hard for it not to.
Additionally, it requires a certain level of chutzpah to back yourself when the stakes are high.
The difference is that the smarter ones know when to reign the ego in and, you know, not rape women or bash random Uber drivers or drink-drive mere hours after being awarded the Australian captaincy; the dumb ones don't.
Hubris combined with stupidity is the problem.

super_coach

First Grade
MCK would be the last footballer I would have picked to get into a Uber driver. The guy is red hot with his religion and by all accounts a really nice kid. Sadly he probably has two drinking sessions a year. Anyway absolutely no excuse to belt anyone, but I hope there is a roads back at some stage if he is proven guilty of the charges

T.S Quint

Coach

They all sign a standard NRL contract, don’t they?
They aren’t employed by the club (as a player at least) until the NRL ratifies their contract.
The NRL has the power to decide who gets to play in their league and who doesn’t.

Timmah

Staff member
They all sign a standard NRL contract, don’t they?
They aren’t employed by the club (as a player at least) until the NRL ratifies their contract.
The NRL has the power to decide who gets to play in their league and who doesn’t.
That's still different to directly employing them.

T.S Quint

Coach
That's still different to directly employing them.

True, the clubs are the ones paying the bills.
Still, my point stands that the NRL has a right to deregister players on moral grounds if they feel it is hurting their business.

Timmah

Staff member
True, the clubs are the ones paying the bills.
Still, my point stands that the NRL has a right to deregister players on moral grounds if they feel it is hurting their business.
They have the right to, but I'm not sure they proactively exercise that right very often.

Valheru

Coach
It would be a moralistic stance, you are right. But what’s wrong with that?
The NRL is a business that relies on sponsorship, media attention and viewers to survive. If there is someone within their business that threatens that survival they are within their rights to exclude them from their business.

There are too many bad news stories coming from the world of Rugby League, and enough is enough. Some people may not believe it hurts the bottom line, but I’m not one of those people.
People can blame the media all they want for only reporting on the bad stories, but if there’s none to report they would have to focus on the actual game for once.

The problem with it being a moralistic stance is it isn't up to the NRL to tell me, you or anyone else what is and isn't appropriate in society. Keep in mind I am not necessarily referring to serious crimes which any reasonable person would consider as ethically wrong. Some people may think any DUI is cause for a lengthy ban, some may not, some people may think players deserve a 2nd chance after assault or DV issues especially first offenders who are young, some may not. So it then becomes a debate of severity and we will never get agreement on that.

The NRL (and any other business) absolutely has the right to refuse to employ people it thinks will damage their image. Ignoring the fact the NRL doesn't actually employ the players for a second, commercial considerations cause another issue here because what happens when not hiring or continue to a hire an employee/player is actually worse commercially for the NRL or club. As a random example using 2 players from my club, I can promise you that the roosters/NRL would have no problem taking a moralistic and harsh stance against say Lindsay Collins but I can promise you James Tedesco wouldn't cop the same treatment as he is too valuable so yes they can make a decision to not hire based on commercial impact but with that naturally comes inconsistency and double standards as not everyone is equal to the club/NRL so quite clearly blanket bans aren't viable.

T.S Quint

Coach
They have the right to, but I'm not sure they proactively exercise that right very often.

They don’t, but they have done a few times in the past.
They have deregistered Todd Carney, plus handed down suspensions for players like Brett Stewart.

I think they should use their right to do this more often, taking it out of the clubs’ hands.

Timmah

Staff member
They don’t, but they have done a few times in the past.
They have deregistered Todd Carney, plus handed down suspensions for players like Brett Stewart.

I think they should use their right to do this more often, taking it out of the clubs’ hands.
Brett Stewart incident is 11 years and 3 administrations ago so I'm not sure how relevant that even is anymore.

As for Todd Carney, that seemed to be more about a continual string of events over several years rather than the simplistic "deregistered for pissing in his mouth" some seem to think.

T.S Quint

Coach
Brett Stewart incident is 11 years and 3 administrations ago so I'm not sure how relevant that even is anymore.

As for Todd Carney, that seemed to be more about a continual string of events over several years rather than the simplistic "deregistered for pissing in his mouth" some seem to think.

I wasn’t really mentioning those incidents to focus on what they were punished for, more so for the precedent that the NRL has punished players themselves and taken it out of the clubs’ hands.

Timmah

Staff member
I wasn’t really mentioning those incidents to focus on what they were punished for, more so for the precedent that the NRL has punished players themselves and taken it out of the clubs’ hands.
That's fine - I was illustrating why the action was taken in those instances.

As others have said, blanket rules don't work. Each case as it comes (and no I don't think they always get it right, Matt Lodge is an easy example).

seanoff

Juniors
The NRL aren’t party to the contract?

In some sports the governing body of sport are a party to the contract so they can be involved. Say in the unlikely event a club goes bust, the league takes on responsibilty for the contract and payment. Etc etc etc

Latest posts