What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
No, they're calling out self-righteous wankers.

In addition...your post above? The second trick of the self-annointed morally superior - guilting people into silence.
True, in a lot of instances they are and I support it 100% because there is no place for preachy merkins on the left.

However, in some instances what Gronk is suggesting is true. It has become an all to convenient slur that can be wrongly applied by oafish deadshits from the alt-right and seems to be used sometimes as a get out clause to basic human decency.

As always though, you and Gronk tend to argue the extremities with a level of certainty that isn’t commensurate with what happens in the real world.

Are you both part of the problem or part of the solution?

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
No, they're calling out self-righteous wankers.

In addition...your post above? The second trick of the self-annointed morally superior - guilting people into silence.

The flaw in your argument is that not many use the term in its correct form. From the horses mouth ..

For those who have not come across the phrase, it means saying something to indicate that you are a good, moral person without actually doing anything at all.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/ne...k=a7c71371cdcd10a34f8f549b1165e0c1-1546895088

So really unless you know a person intimately, you have no right to accuse a person of virtue signalling. Together with “PC Brigade”, of late it has become an all encompassing throw away line to counter those who seek to be decent people by those who don’t necessarily want to be decent and respectful.

BTW, I don’t condone artists using award ceremonies as platforms to preach the #metoo movement or #blacklivesmatter etc. It’s boring and in a way allows merkins from the alt-right the traction to ridicule the real message.

Gronk

Staff member
you;re all missing the main point here, BoRap won a golden globe

Can't say I like Bollywood.

220px-Bollywood_Queen_FilmPoster.jpeg

T.S Quint

Coach
I loved Bohemian Rhapsody, but I’m not sure it deserves a best picture of the year award.
It was a pretty run-of-the-mill biopic with some very good performances.
I loved it mostly because I’m a big Queen fan. If I wasn’t I’m not sure I would have it in such high regard.

Gronk

Staff member

84 Baby

Referee
I loved Bohemian Rhapsody, but I’m not sure it deserves a best picture of the year award.
It was a pretty run-of-the-mill biopic with some very good performances.
I loved it mostly because I’m a big Queen fan. If I wasn’t I’m not sure I would have it in such high regard.
I agree but reckon it might win Oscar (really who cares about the other awards? - and even does it really matter with Oscars too?) by default because in general this year's crop isn't great plus a variety of other reasons that other movies won't win.
A Star Is Born will be in mix but as I said previously I reckon it'll be this year's "nominated for everything, win nothing".
Vice won't win because despite possibly getting 2 of the best acting awards, it's otherwise rubbish.
The Favourite won't win because funnily it has 3 absolute standout female performances that'll distract from an otherwise good movie.
Green Book won't win because of the backlash of pushing the white guy as the lead (he is) over the black guy.
Crazy Rich Asians & First Man both got released too early so their buzz is gone.
There's a foreign film Roma that might be in mix, because it's artsy.
My outsider is BlacKkKlansman although it probably got released too early.
Anyway I look forward to the Delboy virtue meltdown when any of it, Green Book, Crazy Rich Asians, Beale Street or Black Panther win