What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will the Penrith Panthers finish in 2019?

Where will the Penrith Panthers finish in 2019?

• Total voters

Kilkenny

Coach
Above all else, I hope the team does well and we play good consistent footy.

I agree. We have expected far too much from a roster that just wasn’t quite up to top four or better.

I think this year we have the roster to make the top four if we have better fortune on the injury front. Injuries are the key. We can cover the losses of Merrin & Peachy, the younger players are one year more experienced but we simply cannot accomodate the high injury tolls we have endured for some seasons now regardless of how strong our depth is. We need a season of good fortune, few injuries and if this is the case then we can compete for the major prize.

mxlegend99

Referee
I agree. We have expected far too much from a roster that just wasn’t quite up to top four or better.

I think this year we have the roster to make the top four if we have better fortune on the injury front. Injuries are the key. We can cover the losses of Merrin & Peachy, the younger players are one year more experienced but we simply cannot accomodate the high injury tolls we have endured for some seasons now regardless of how strong our depth is. We need a season of good fortune, few injuries and if this is the case then we can compete for the major prize.
How was our roster not up to top 4? We were 1 win behind the minor premiers with coaching drama starting from the trials and a pretty big injury list.

Before any injuries occur in 2019 we are already going to be without Tyrone Peachey, Trent Merrin, Corey Harawira-Naera, Peter Wallace, Tim Browne etc. Missing from our 2018 squad. If this years roster is top 4 material, how was last years not?

We can expect improvement from some guys. But there are players who could decline too from injuries and/or age. RCG the biggest concern as he has a 5 year deal on huge money and his first jaw injury saw him decline a bit. He has been important to our pack and if he does turn to shit we're really going to be screwed.

Last edited:

Wookies&Cream

Juniors
How was our roster not up to top 4? We were 1 win behind the minor premiers with coaching drama starting from the trials and a pretty big injury list.

Before any injuries occur in 2019 we are already going to be without Tyrone Peachey, Trent Merrin, Corey Harawira-Naera, Peter Wallace, Tim Browne etc. Missing from our 2018 squad. If this years roster is top 4 material, how was last years not?

We can expect improvement from some guys. But there are players who could decline too from injuries and/or age. RCG the biggest concern as he has a 5 year deal on huge money and his first jaw injury saw him decline a bit. He has been important to our pack and if he does turn to shit we're really going to be screwed.

I agree with you, but I think Merrin was a hindrance more than a benefit by the end. I'm expecting a leap by one of Katoa/Egan, leota, and one of Ellis/Hetherington. Philips and Crichton were love/hate relationships, where they could do some good shit followed by stepping out of play etc. The go-forward at the start of sets is boosted by Edwards's return and Dwz replacing Crichton.

Remember the difference between the two manly games in 2017?

TheFrog

Coach
I agree with you, but I think Merrin was a hindrance more than a benefit by the end.
Serviceable most of the year, form dropped a bit when he realised he was on the outer. Not quite worth what we were paying him though, and that would have set alarm bells ringing in the corridors of power.

franklin2323

Immortal
I agree with you, but I think Merrin was a hindrance more than a benefit by the end. I'm expecting a leap by one of Katoa/Egan, leota, and one of Ellis/Hetherington. Philips and Crichton were love/hate relationships, where they could do some good shit followed by stepping out of play etc. The go-forward at the start of sets is boosted by Edwards's return and Dwz replacing Crichton.

While I agree Merrin was way off. He did ave the most metres out of all our props. So someone needs to step up

Crichton might be gone but the same issue will be there for the backup guys. Look at centre Jed looks good enough and maybe goes ok for a few games. Things like lateral movement etc is stuff Latrell, Roberts and co will test out.

So for me we need a full strength side in the finals to make that next step

betcats

Referee
Peachey is the only real loss imo. As in one we can’t replace. Chn is a going to be a good player but I’d back Jed or someone like Blore to be able to fill his shoes. Merrin is a loss but if Leota continues his form from the back end of the season or heathro drops the crap out his game then they are both as good or better than Merrin was last season.

Depth in the middle is a little thin and the spine is only half settled. They are the main squad issues that could hold us back as I see it. But we also have plenty of competition for spots which should push some blokes to another level, I think we will see a number of guys make a big jump this year.

franklin2323

Immortal
Peachey is the only real loss imo. As in one we can’t replace. Chn is a going to be a good player but I’d back Jed or someone like Blore to be able to fill his shoes. Merrin is a loss but if Leota continues his form from the back end of the season or heathro drops the crap out his game then they are both as good or better than Merrin was last season.

Depth in the middle is a little thin and the spine is only half settled. They are the main squad issues that could hold us back as I see it. But we also have plenty of competition for spots which should push some blokes to another level, I think we will see a number of guys make a big jump this year.

I never had an issue with not Re-signing Peachey or CHN. Releasing them on the otherhand... I guess we won't know until injuries hit if that was a right choice or not short term anyway

betcats

Referee
I never had an issue with not Re-signing Peachey or CHN. Releasing them on the otherhand... I guess we won't know until injuries hit if that was a right choice or not short term anyway

I think it comes down to whether or not guys like Jed, Sele, tyrell fuimaono, Blore are good enough to provide some genuine depth or not.

franklin2323

Immortal
I think it comes down to whether or not guys like Jed, Sele, tyrell fuimaono, Blore are good enough to provide some genuine depth or not.

Sele and Tyrell have Atleast played FG before. Had decent enough stats too. Players 18-20 in the squad seems light on. When you add in Wallace, Browne etc into leaving.

Someone like Jed probably hasn't done enough lower grade wise to be an injury away from starting centre. Given the age of the guys in front not sure if there even is a place for him long term .

So that is the interesting part for me how goes like that improve

hindy111

Post Whore

Wallace and Brown are a stretch.
Peachy is a loss while CHN is just a player. Merrin also a loss by his name but not by what performance was the last few seasons.Grant will do his job.
Id say Fuimano and Sele cover CHN.

Katoa and Egan a year older will be far better, as will Cleary.
Whare showed once fit he could become elite again which at start of 2018 was a big question. Plus Mansour starts the season.

Lot of young guys like Blake,Cleary,Jfh,May,Leota,Hethrington,Edwards,Kikau are certainly on way up and can only be getting better every year.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I think slight improvement on last year. I do worry about their depth a bit as Peachey, Crichton, Merrin and CHN were all in the top 17 last year and haven’t been replaced by anyone (to my knowledge). Yet knowing Panthers fans they’ll claim they have 10 billion juniours coming through that are better then them anyway. I have them 5-6th.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think slight improvement on last year. I do worry about their depth a bit as Peachey, Crichton, Merrin and CHN were all in the top 17 last year and haven’t been replaced by anyone (to my knowledge). Yet knowing Panthers fans they’ll claim they have 10 billion juniours coming through that are better then them anyway. I have them 5-6th.

The only real loss of consquence, by that I mean irreplaceable is Peachy. I really liked what both Merrin & CHN brought to our squad but there are players in the same positions who will do just as good a job, if not better. I wouldn't worry about us in terms of squad depth we will be fine.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

I've watched the Merrin games in super league (I admit only 2). But he is struggling big time. Forward passes, dropped balls etc. He won't be a loss.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

A couple of the kids comming through (development players) could kick on well. Time will tell. The only player we will miss is the Peach. I do think that May could play a similar role off the bench. He has the skills, can play all across the backline, 2nd row and possibly even hooker at a pinch.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

There is no claim about it. The production is in full swing with players that the W/T could only 'dream' about. A couple could be real finds, some will move on, others who match up will replace players when they become too expensive too keep, or are beginning the slide down the hill like Merrin was.

Latest posts