What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey or Thurston, who is GOAT?

King hit

Coach
When he retired, it was a tough day. I remember reading it in the paper and I thought to myself “will we ever see another Joey Johns”. When he admitted to using drugs the RL community was angry, upset and disappointed. As if one of your own children had done it. He was rugby league and we rode his highs and lows more than any other footballer.

I seriously never understand why people always bring up "Johns was a bad boy and should be disqualified from winning awards". I remember when he was named the 8th immortal and people were crying over it like crazy. Imagine if we had to disqualify anybody who stepped out of line once, there wouldn't be anyone left. Some of the other immortals were far from saints away from the field. Should we also strip Dawn Fraser of any title or Phelps for recreational drug use as well?

As long as they are not outright criminals or committed serious offences everything is all good and there is nothing wrong with them being rewarded.

As far as the 2015 CC medal award, I thought JT was deserving. Milford carved up with his running game, but his kicking game was virtually non-existent and that proved the difference between the two teams. JT basically had to go it alone as well, I don't think fans remember but Morgan was having a pretty poor game until THAT pass.

Say what you want, but it can't be called a fluke either given Morgan pulled off something similar to keep the 17 Origin series alive. (Also another JT clutch moment)

JT's biggest competition for the CC was actually Tamou. The 2012 version of Tamou decided to rock up for the Grand Final instead of the lazy burn out Tamou that had resurfaced in recent seasons and he was the best forward on the park. Granny was also in contention, but his second stint was really poor and nerves really got the better of him. In a way, it probably proved a blessing because the bounce pass that ultimately led to the Feldt try caused Blair to rush out which set off the chain reaction.

I personally thought Thurston getting it was just complete sentiment. All the talk in the build up was about him and the commentary was the most blatant hero worship from commentators I think I've ever heard. Even Thurston himself said that he didn't deserve it and that Granville did. Sure he tried hard but to me the award is for the best player not for what fits the narrative.

Nice to see Tamou get credit. Nobody remembers how good he was that night.

beave

Coach
I seriously never understand why people always bring up "Johns was a bad boy and should be disqualified from winning awards". I remember when he was named the 8th immortal and people were crying over it like crazy. Imagine if we had to disqualify anybody who stepped out of line once, there wouldn't be anyone left. Some of the other immortals were far from saints away from the field. Should we also strip Dawn Fraser of any title or Phelps for recreational drug use as well?

As long as they are not outright criminals or committed serious offences everything is all good and there is nothing wrong with them being rewarded.

I personally thought Thurston getting it was just complete sentiment. All the talk in the build up was about him and the commentary was the most blatant hero worship from commentators I think I've ever heard. Even Thurston himself said that he didn't deserve it and that Granville did. Sure he tried hard but to me the award is for the best player not for what fits the narrative.

It was about f**king time. God knows he owed us one after 3-4 years of utter shit. Absolute pot plant of a player, I said it when he played for us as well.

mozza91

Coach
Regardless of the result Milford was comfortably the best player on the park. He definitely deserved it.

Big Pete

Referee
I personally thought Thurston getting it was just complete sentiment. All the talk in the build up was about him and the commentary was the most blatant hero worship from commentators I think I've ever heard.

The commentators don't pick the award.

Even Thurston himself said that he didn't deserve it and that Granville did.

JT is a perfectionist. Was it his best performance? No, but was he the most influential player on the park? Considering the difference between the kicking games and how the Cowboys were able to dominate field position, yes.

Granville was in line until his poor second stint cost him.

Sure he tried hard but to me the award is for the best player not for what fits the narrative.

Why not both?

I'm dealing with a memory that never forgets.

Fat Tony Kandos

Juniors
Both were great players and I cannot split them.

However, I just finished reading JT's book and was surprised at how much he drank.

Joey has already been made an Immortal, but, if JT wants to be around to accept his Immortality status I suggest he put his name on the liver transplant waiting list.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Both were great players and I cannot split them.

However, I just finished reading JT's book and was surprised at how much he drank.

Joey has already been made an Immortal, but, if JT wants to be around to accept his Immortality status I suggest he put his name on the liver transplant waiting list.
Jt hasn’t managed to pass out drunk in an airport yet

I question whether there will ever be a more over-rated player in the game’s history than Thurston. He’s a legitimate all-time great player, I’m not criticising him when I say he’s over-rated, but legitimately superior players like Lockyer & Fittler attracted one-tenth the level of adulation Thurston has in his career.

The idea of him being better than Johns? Stop it.

Regardless of the result Milford was comfortably the best player on the park. He definitely deserved it.

This. His second half wasn’t great, but he was so terrific the first forty, I don’t think any of those Cowboys forwards who finished the match strongly late-on did enough to run him down.

Thurston getting it was pre-ordained. He wasn’t in the top five players on the field that night.

Joey
Was better.

Even the thread title is a bizarrely phrased one, as if there is a consensus Thurston & Johns are the two best players who ever lived. Thurston isn’t even the best player this century, & I would argue he’s not in the top three (Johns, Fittler & Lockyer were all his superior).

Again, I don’t dispute that Thurston should be remembered among the all-time greats, but the amount of credit he gets is stupidly over the top.

Latest posts