What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey or Thurston, who is GOAT?

King hit

Coach
Thurston had 5 man of the match awards to Joeys 4.

Joey was man of the series for probably the 96, 02, 03 series and probabaly would have been man of the series in 05 as well if he played in all games.

It's funny, Thurston has a slightly better win rate than Joey, But also has a bigger loss rate as well. After the 95 series disaster (as a rookie) Joey went on to be the Player of the world cup (again as a rookie) and only ever lost an Origin series once again before retiring in 2005. To say Joey didn't dominate for a long period of time takes some pretty thick maroon goggles

Well spoken

Something else that people (Queenslanders) always use is that Johns wore 9 as some way to knock him down. If you actually watch that series you will see that he was the main playmaker with Toovey attacking at dummy half whilst Johns defended at dummy half. Johns topped the NSW tackle counts in the first 2 games smashing the Maroon forwards whilst laying on tries from halfback and winning man of the match. The fact he was able to dominate from the front whilst guiding the attack elevates him imo.

Lockyer achieved plenty of adulation, especially in 2010-11 when he finished up his career. The Darren love-fest in the media (especially in Qld) in 2011 was right up there with the fawning over JT in the second half of last season.

At the end of his career yes, but every match for the last five years of his career? No. That’s what Thurston was the subject of.

I recall one game (circa 2013) when Thurston kicked a conversion from the touchline, & Phil Gould marvelled, “How does he do that, Rabs?”

LOL. Gee Phil, I don’t know. Maybe ask the literally hundreds, possibly thousands, of teenagers who do it across the country every weekend for their local club.

mozza91

Coach
You could combine Slater, Mini & Lockyer in a lesbian sandwich and it would still pale in comparison to Kalyn Ponga.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Mini was just about the best player in the comp and was a golden boot winner, premiership winning captain, star in 3 straight series wins in Origin, Wally Lewis medal winner and starred in numerous test matches. He was basically unstoppable before injuries set in but was still a very reliable player.

Since your an old Tigers man do you believe that Brasher shouldn’t be mentioned in the great fullback discussions in spite of his awesome performances for NSW and Australia?

I’m not saying he was a bad player, in fact he was brilliant in his heyday. However Lockyer and Slater are considered 2 of the all time greats. In 40-50 years time they will still be talked about as such. They dominated the league for 12-15 years. He was in the top echelon for 4-5.

Comparing Mini to them is unfair to him IMO. He was a strong runner but didn’t have the finess of those 2. I thought of him as more of a finisher as opposed to someone who would create something out of nothing. I also saw Mini have some absolute Cariages. Anyone remember his first half in SOO 3 2011? He nearly single handedly handed QLD a 24-0 lead.

Brasher was an amazing player who was unlucky to have played in dogshit teams for 90% of his career, however when it came to NSW and Australia he was able to show just how great he was. There was a time when he was the only NSW player in the Australian backline. I saw both Brasher and Gary Jacks careers and I hold Brash comfortably ahead of Jimmy. Jack was just lucky to play in better teams.

As said Mini was a fine player but off the top of my head from the last 30 years I would rate Brasher, Ettinghoussen, Lockyer, Slater, Hayne and Brett Stewart ahead of him. I also don’t think it’s unreasonable to say Tedesco is already a better player then he was. Maybe if injuries were kinder to him this would have been different.

Last edited:

King hit

Coach
I probably would have Minichiello ahead of Stewart. Incredible how many high quality fullbacks were running around last decade.

I’m not saying he was a bad player, in fact he was brilliant in his heyday. However Lockyer and Slater are considered 2 of the all time greats. In 40-50 years time they will still be talked about as such. They dominated the league for 12-15 years. He was in the top echelon for 4-5.

Comparing Mini to them is unfair to him IMO. He was a strong runner but didn’t have the finess of those 2. I thought of him as more of a finisher as opposed to someone who would create something out of nothing. I also saw Mini have some absolute Cariages. Anyone remember his first half in SOO 3 2011? He nearly single handedly handed QLD a 24-0 lead.

Brasher was an amazing player who was unlucky to have played in dogshit teams for 90% of his career, however when it came to NSW and Australia he was able to show just how great he was. There was a time when he was the only NSW player in the Australian backline. I saw both Brasher and Gary Jacks careers and I hold Brash comfortably ahead of Jimmy. Jack was just lucky to play in better teams.

As said Mini was a fine player but off the top of my head from the last 30 years I would rate Brasher, Ettinghoussen, Lockyer, Slater, Hayne and Brett Stewart ahead of him. I also don’t think it’s unreasonable to say Tedesco is already a better player then he was. Maybe if injuries were kinder to him this would have been different.

He dropped out of the top echelon after he suffered a permanent back injury, which starkly reduced his capabilities. Even the gait he showed while sprinting (much more upright & stiffened after the injury) changed as a result of the damage.

That he was able to compete at the top level for so many years afterward despite such a dramatic step down in his capabilities speaks volumes of the player he was beforehand.

unforgiven

Bench
Why. It? He has seen more football played then probably all of us here. While I don’t always agree with his views I respect them.
Seeing football played and actually gaining understanding are 2 different things, the channel 9 commentary team have greatly contributed to a lot of the problems with the game over the past 20 years and Warren and Gus have played a very large role in that. I also cannot take seriously the opinion of a commentator who cannot even take the time to learn the name of the players playing in a game. He can follow the flow of a game but is unable to understand the nuances of what is actually happening.

beave

Coach
Seeing football played and actually gaining understanding are 2 different things, the channel 9 commentary team have greatly contributed to a lot of the problems with the game over the past 20 years and Warren and Gus have played a very large role in that. I also cannot take seriously the opinion of a commentator who cannot even take the time to learn the name of the players playing in a game. He can follow the flow of a game but is unable to understand the nuances of what is actually happening.

When NQ had Ty Williams. Matt Sing, Matt Bowen, Rod jensen, David Fauimu in the mid 2k’s, the commentary from that old senile f**k was hilarious. His lack of pre game prep was made to be extremely obvious.

beave

Coach
Well spoken

Something else that people (Queenslanders) always use is that Johns wore 9 as some way to knock him down. If you actually watch that series you will see that he was the main playmaker with Toovey attacking at dummy half whilst Johns defended at dummy half. Johns topped the NSW tackle counts in the first 2 games smashing the Maroon forwards whilst laying on tries from halfback and winning man of the match. The fact he was able to dominate from the front whilst guiding the attack elevates him imo.

you missed the most important and highly over looked accolade of Joeys career.

His invention of ‘round the corner’ goal kicking..........

Latest posts