What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those who can also read

T-Boon

Coach
I'm about 7 books deep into this mountaineering theme. So many great stories.

I recently read Ghosts of Everest which is about the search for Mallory (great read) and I am half way through Bec Weathers story - but kind of lost interest as it seems more about his life after his miraculous survival on the mountain.
Everest is captivating.

axl rose

Bench
George piggins - the fight to save the Rabbitohs

Thought he made some very good points about the negatives of Super League and did like him criticising Meninga and other SL officials for their horrible comments. Had a bit of a grouchy old man persona to the writing style and the book became boring towards the end.

At least you know it was George then and not some ghost writer. He has his faults George but I appreciate his honestly regarding wankers like Meninga, Paul Morgan etc

t-ba

Post Whore
Making the arduou journey through Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series.

Third attempt to make it through them and I’m equal with where I lost steam back in 2012.

The first six books flew by, but the seventh has been a real toil so far.

Seven to go!

Finished it a few months ago. Hard work, quality really starts going downhill after like book #4 imo.

Reactions: PJ

Parra

Referee
I recently read Ghosts of Everest which is about the search for Mallory (great read) and I am half way through Bec Weathers story - but kind of lost interest as it seems more about his life after his miraculous survival on the mountain.
Everest is captivating.

It certainly is. And there are plenty of great accounts of achievements and tragedy, and different viewpoints of the same events.

PJ

First Grade
Finished it a few months ago. Hard work, quality really starts going downhill after like book #4 imo.

Probably sound bad but I thought it picked up after Sanderson took after Jordans passing.

But still not as good as the start of the series.

RedVDave

First Grade
I am personally a massive book worm, some of my personal favourite all time reads include:

Ace Frehley – No Regrets

Bob Holly – The Hardcore Truth

Bucky F*cking Dent

Chopper – From The Inside

Chris Jericho – Around The World In Spandex

Chris Jericho – Undisputed: How To Become World Champion In 1372 Easy Steps

Chris Jericho – The Best In The World ...At What I Have No Idea

A Game Of Thrones

A Game Of Thrones – A Clash Of Kings

A Game Of Thrones – A Storm Of Swords

A Game Of Thrones – A Feast For Crows

A Game Of Thrones – A Dance With Dragons

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

The Girl Who Played With Fire*

The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest

The Girl Caught In The Spiders Web

Jack Reacher – Killing Floor

Jack Reacher – Die Tryin'

Jack Reacher – Tripwire

Kaitlyn

Once Were Warriors

--What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted?

---Jakes Long Shadow

Wil Anderson – Friendly Fire

Wil Anderson – Survival Of The Dumbest

WWF: Mankind – A Tale Of Blood Of Sweatsocks

I am probably forgetting literally hundreds of titles but these were all really great reads.

King hit

Coach
The Latham Diaries

21661981-F27A-4451-81A0-E5A0F58AB8F3.jpeg

Never read a political book before so this was new to me. Very compelling inside account of life inside labour politics. Very hard hitting brutal descriptions of quite a few figures, Australian society and the media. Really enjoyed him slamming Murdoch press for what it is and his story about Bob Carr attending a State of Origin match. Only one persons perspective but a pretty memorable book to say the least.

Anyone who likes a bit of dystopian science fiction, ripping adventure, comic books, British rock, punk and pop music, James Bond and things like The Goodies, The Mighty Boosh or Blackadder... could give this little piece of pop culture a whirl.

Alistair Raven and the Stormtrooper In Stilettos available on Amazon Kindle.

More fun than assembling an IKEA cupboard.

Smack

Coach
I think my books are too girly for here lol

Station Eleven
Emily St. John Mandel

I have this on my read list

Shortlisted for the 2014 National Book Awards
Observer Thriller of the Month

DAY ONE
The Georgia Flu explodes over the surface of the earth like a neutron bomb.
News reports put the mortality rate at over 99%.

WEEK TWO
Civilization has crumbled.

YEAR TWENTY
A band of actors and musicians called the Travelling Symphony move through their territories performing concerts and Shakespeare to the settlements that have grown up there. Twenty years after the pandemic, life feels relatively safe.
But now a new danger looms, and he threatens the hopeful world every survivor has tried to rebuild.

STATION ELEVEN
Moving backwards and forwards in time, from the glittering years just before the collapse to the strange and altered world that exists twenty years after, Station Eleven charts the unexpected twists of fate that connect six people: famous actor Arthur Leander; Jeevan - warned about the flu just in time; Arthur's first wife Miranda; Arthur's oldest friend Clark; Kirsten, a young actress with the Travelling Symphony; and the mysterious and self-proclaimed 'prophet'.

Thrilling, unique and deeply moving, Emily St. John Mandel's Station Eleven is a beautiful novel that asks questions about art and fame and about the relationships that sustain us through anything - even the end of the world.

King hit

Coach
Jonathan Thurston autobiography

Entertaining account of Thurstons life. Really enjoyed hearing his stories about making the top grade and some things that happened behind the scenes in his career. Divided into 4 sections and whilst I liked the book I felt it could’ve revealed more about the Cowboys seasons as most of them only got a brief mention.

Overall a good entertaining easy to read book that I would recommend.

Jonathan Thurston autobiography

Entertaining account of Thurstons life. Really enjoyed hearing his stories about making the top grade and some things that happened behind the scenes in his career. Divided into 4 sections and whilst I liked the book I felt it could’ve revealed more about the Cowboys seasons as most of them only got a brief mention.

Overall a good entertaining easy to read book that I would recommend.
Just read it .
Really enjoyed how he told his story in his words ..
It's pretty basic English but That's JT
Doesn't pretend to be a scholar ....throws in his laugh occasionally .
A lot has to do with SOO ..you can see how much playing for his state meant to him
Very enjoyable read.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Just finished “a stolen life” about the girl that got kidnapped and kept out the back in a tent for 18 years by a deadshit couple and kept as a sex slave and had a few kids. Disturbing stuff but the recovery and aftermath of it is a good read

axl rose

Bench
Just finished “a stolen life” about the girl that got kidnapped and kept out the back in a tent for 18 years by a deadshit couple and kept as a sex slave and had a few kids. Disturbing stuff but the recovery and aftermath of it is a good read

Jaycee Lee Dugard. There is a doco and a few interviews with her on youtube. Disturbing to say the least but a must read. I believe this pedo who held her already had a record, when the Parol Officers went around to check on him they simply knocked on the door and did not even check his house. The pedos car was also in the backyard of which her father gave a licence plate number and description. They also had reports from neighbours of kids in his backyard and still did nothing. Meanwhile, she is locked up, repeatedly raped, and pregnant at 12 or 13. Im not saying detective work is easy but the level of incompetence is mind-boggling.

Last edited:

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Jaycee Lee Dugard. There is a doco and a few interviews with her on youtube. Disturbing to say the least but a must read. I believe this pedo who held her already had a record, when the Parol Officers went around to check on him they simply knocked on the door and did not even check his house. The pedos car was also in the backyard of which her father gave a licence plate number and description. They also had reports from neighbours of kids in his backyard and still did nothing. Meanwhile, she is locked up, repeatedly raped, and pregnant at 12 or 13. Im not saying detective work is easy but the level of incompetence is mind-boggling.
So they could work in the bunker?

Fat Tony Kandos

Juniors
Gabriel Said Reynolds, The Qur'an and The Bible (Qur'an translation by Ali Quli Qarai) (Yale University Press, 2018).

Heavy, but interesting. Pretty much points out how much each text has in common with the other.

@Chin Music this may interest you...

Iafeta

Referee
I am a bit of a history buff, love my history.

Currently reading Rubicon by Tom Holland. It’s about the lead in to Caesars assassination and the Romans in general. Brilliantly written. It’s not dry at all. It just flows like the fantastic drama that it all was.

And Andrew Jackson by HW Brands. I like the Totalus Rankium podcast and the one on Andrew Jackson portrayed a larger than life maniacal goose in the White House. And I was super confused about the “why” in relation to his redneck cowboy leadership style. But HW Brands is a great writer and is bringing to life an era I couldn’t imagine before and it brings clarity and understanding to some of it all.

Fascinating.

Perth Tiger

Bench
I am a bit of a history buff, love my history.

Currently reading Rubicon by Tom Holland. It’s about the lead in to Caesars assassination and the Romans in general. Brilliantly written. It’s not dry at all. It just flows like the fantastic drama that it all was.

He does write a very enjoyable history narrative. I have read Persian Fire which is about the Greek and Persia wars and it was also very good.

Latest posts