What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repression of rugby league : Information to share and discussion.

Pommy

Coach
The posts I have made in the past were about the bias that was taking place when I was coaching League and refereeing here in NZ.
I only started posting about this when I could see that Stallion's posts were drawing abuse instead of discussion
This bias continues in countries around the world and is well documented.

The abuse was always two way.

Stallion

First Grade
The only thing that is evidence of is that at the school he attended he was canned for playing League. It does not show anything else. It was also fifty years ago.
It doesn't explain or give credence to anything you have claimed.

It's a fact ! This has happened and I suspect this had happened elsewhere. Yes I have no written proof except for Graham Lowe's experience.However where their is smoke their is fire. What is startling though that you are very dismissive of this disgraceful treatment of a boy playing a sport of his choice! That's the bit I just can't accept from a so called rugby league fan.TRIVIALISING it doesn't bode well for your regard of rugby league. This happened and their is a likelihood that it could have happened to othersee. You don't see this as a concern? That's concerning in itself!

Te Kaha

First Grade
Lol. Not end of. Rugby league can and should be much more popular. It has proven to be extremely popular when the Warriors make grandfinals. This popularity shows its potential. Some of us don't sell this sport of rugby league short. Some do.

And two years ago it was averaging under 100K viewers with the rest of NRL getting around 50K. Last year there were reports of the Warriors getting 200K when they were winning Everybody loves a winner and nobody likes a loser. This only on Sky, with only the Warriors on FTA delayed. Hell even AFL gets four games a week live on FTA on Duke.

That just means the Warriors and Kiwis have to keep winning. There is certainly no guarantee of that.

Te Kaha

First Grade
It's a fact ! This has happened and I suspect this had happened elsewhere. Yes I have no written proof except for Graham Lowe's experience.However where their is smoke their is fire. What is startling though that you are very dismissive of this disgraceful treatment of a boy playing a sport of his choice! That's the bit I just can't accept from a so called rugby league fan.TRIVIALISING it doesn't bode well for your regard of rugby league. This happened and their is a likelihood that it could have happened to othersee. You don't see this as a concern? That's concerning in itself!

in that entire waffle the only two words that are important are "I suspect " that means you don't have evidence to support your claims and you don't even know if your claims are true.

Posters on here "suspect" you are nothing more than a "bot"... that claim is equally as valid as anything you have posted since they have the same level of evidence to support them.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
He is not dismissive of the treatment Lowe reportedly suffered, but your use of Lowe's alleged treatment as evidence of that behaviour being systemic.

"I suspect this has happened elsewhere" and "where there is smoke there is fire" are hearsay statements with no evidentiary facts to support them. Please refrain from making such statements.

Stallion

First Grade
If it is well documented, then you will have no trouble researching this, provided credible and clear links to factual evidence to assert your claim.

Anything else is just bluff and bluster.

You call it "bluff and bluster"!? What if it is true. What's the end result? Rugby league continues to struggle and no improvement of the situation! So instead of accusing people of lies what about some proactive discourse and genuine concern. You turn a blind eye. End result : Rugby-league goes nowhere.

Te Kaha

First Grade
You call it "bluff and bluster"!? What if it is true. What's the end result? Rugby league continues to struggle and no improvement of the situation! So instead of accusing people of lies what about some proactive discourse and genuine concern. You turn a blind eye. End result : Rugby-league goes nowhere.

Then stop making accusations without evidence!.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It is not proactive discourse if you are unable to provide substantive evidence to support your claims.

You are being asked to support your claims, please do so. It is very simple.

If you are unable to support your claims, then refrain from making them until such time you can.

Stallion

First Grade
Didn’t those kids watch the World Cup last year on free to air? Obviosuly this is t the answer to spreading the game then.

Glad you mentioned that.As one of the most incompetent scheduling decision and incredible "coincidence": The night of the rugby league world cup final also featured a day night Ashes test match in Adelaide.This significantly (*halved? ) the viewing audience for the cup final. At the time rugby union people had influence on Ashes tour scheduling and rugby league hired (leading into the world cup and conveniently a month before it) an AFL administratIve person to 'look after ' the rugby league world cup scheduling. GO FIGURE!

Stallion

First Grade
And two years ago it was averaging under 100K viewers with the rest of NRL getting around 50K. Last year there were reports of the Warriors getting 200K when they were winning Everybody loves a winner and nobody likes a loser. This only on Sky, with only the Warriors on FTA delayed. Hell even AFL gets four games a week live on FTA on Duke.

That just means the Warriors and Kiwis have to keep winning. There is certainly no guarantee of that.

I look at it differently to you. I believe that's potential.

Stallion

First Grade
in that entire waffle the only two words that are important are "I suspect " that means you don't have evidence to support your claims and you don't even know if your claims are true.

Posters on here "suspect" you are nothing more than a "bot"... that claim is equally as valid as anything you have posted since they have the same level of evidence to support them.

So you continue to trivialize and dismiss Graham Lowe's very real experience ! Say no.more! Lol

Te Kaha

First Grade
So you continue to trivialize and dismiss Graham Lowe's very real experience ! Say no.more! Lol

And how to I "trivialize" it? He said it happened, i have never found him to be a liar so it most probably happened.

What it doesn't support is your statement that League is being "repressed" and that there is systematic repression in NZ. You have yet to provide a single piece of evidence to support that.

Pommy

Coach
Glad you mentioned that.As one of the most incompetent scheduling decision and incredible "coincidence": The night of the rugby league world cup final also featured a day night Ashes test match in Adelaide.This significantly (*halved? ) the viewing audience for the cup final. At the time rugby union people had influence on Ashes tour scheduling and rugby league hired (leading into the world cup and conveniently a month before it) an AFL administratIve person to 'look after ' the rugby league world cup scheduling. GO FIGURE!

What rugby union people had influence on ashes tour scheduling, this is the problem you just throw out these comments without evidence to back it up.
Also are you saying rugby league should schedule itself around other sports?

Stallion

First Grade
He is not dismissive of the treatment Lowe reportedly suffered, but your use of Lowe's alleged treatment as evidence of that behaviour being systemic.

"I suspect this has happened elsewhere" and "where there is smoke there is fire" are hearsay statements with no evidentiary facts to support them. Please refrain from making such statements.

That's an opinion. Many will agree with me and some like yourself will not. It's also quite possible that such treatment of rugby league playing students is more widespread than you think. It would be great if some other Kiwis that experienced such treatment came forward. Perhaps it's not the done thing for Kiwis? However worth discussing.

Stallion

First Grade
It is not proactive discourse if you are unable to provide substantive evidence to support your claims.

You are being asked to support your claims, please do so. It is very simple.

If you are unable to support your claims, then refrain from making them until such time you can.

I have provided a very high profIle example in Graham Lowe. That's evidence enough. The rest will hopefully be discovered/ unearthed with proactive contributors rather than reactive accusers.

Te Kaha

First Grade
That's an opinion. Many will agree with me and some like yourself will not. It's also quite possible that such treatment of rugby league playing students is more widespread than you think. It would be great if some other Kiwis that experienced such treatment came forward. Perhaps it's not the done thing for Kiwis? However worth discussing.

Or it never happened and you are making things up.

I have provide a very high profIle example in Graham Lowe. That's evidence enough. The rest will hopefully be discovered/ unearthed with proactive contributors rather than reactive accusers.

No it is NOT evidence enough. you are claiming systematic repression. One instance does not show systematic!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
My experience with Stallion has generally been that he makes sweeping statements and claims (some I agree with and some I don't) but when pressed and questioned provides zero hard evidence to back up the statements. I have not resorted to abusing him but have received many insults in return simply by disagreeing with him and asking for evidence that what he says is true.

Stallion

First Grade
Or it never happened and you are making things up.

No it is NOT evidence enough. you are claiming systematic repression. One instance does not show systematic!

Haven't used the word 'systematic ' In the hope of coNeal mentioned I'm sure it wouldn't be 'systematic '*your word not mine but perhaps more common than you think? Yes. Hopefully their may be some contributors that have experienced the same and that will add to positive /proactive discourse instead of having ones head in the sand and not seeing it as important.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
@Stallion
  • 9's not on FTA
  • Lions not playing the Kangaroos next year
  • World Cup scheudling
  • Incompetent administrators

All issues that you have identified in that game. Is that not enough to show you that RL, not RU is our biggest enemy. If we got our house in order there would be nothing RU could do to stop us. We are doing the job for them at the moment. We need to stop playing the victim card and just sort ourselves out.

Stallion

First Grade
What rugby union people had influence on ashes tour scheduling, this is the problem you just throw out these comments without evidence to back it up.
Also are you saying rugby league should schedule itself around other sports?

No I am stating that Rugby you union is intent on limiting rugby league. It will go to immense lengths to make sure rugby league isn't regarded as internationally relevant. Thus code is trying to hold itself up as the dominant rugby code by undermining rugby-league events and rugby league's ability to draw anear impressive audience. If you subscribe to a belief that rugby league is far more attractive to view then this logic and scheming is not beyond this very powerfully and influential code. They are very much big picture and insidiously unsportsmanlike to the nth degree. The examples are and I'm sure more to follow: France, South Africa, non recognition of rugby league lobbying at GSAIF , no elite private presence of rugby league in Australia schools.....etc. (*the list goes on ) It's not beyond to plot things to undermine rugby-league's progress way in advance of reality. They have done it before and will do.it again. I have a compiled array of repression examples and am happy to quote theme for the so called "rugby league" fans that doubt that union has been extremely underhanded and manipulative in their actions toward rugby league.