What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey or Thurston, who is GOAT?

I think he was more referring to the role they played in the games.

Certainly true. Thurston didn’t figure much in the 2004 Grand Final...come to think of it, he didn’t do much in 2015, either. It was a very flat performance from him on the night, I thought Milford played all over him.

The CCM was laughable. He wasn’t in the top 5 players on the field that night. To be fair, Johns didn’t deserve the medal in 2001 either, but he certainly played a great game in both Grand Finals. Thurston was great in neither of his.

beave

Coach
Taints on both of their first, IMO.

I know it’s virtually illegal to mention this, being that it doesn’t fit the, ‘heroic son of coal miners come good’ narrative, but that 1997 Knights team were using PED’s & should have been stripped of the title.

Thurston was part of an illegally assembled football team (disgraceful they were able to stay together, much less add Andrew Ryan), & even then, they needed an abysmal call by Tim Mander to win them the match.

Roosters fan I take it??.....

Knight Vision

First Grade
Certainly true. Thurston didn’t figure much in the 2004 Grand Final...come to think of it, he didn’t do much in 2015, either. It was a very flat performance from him on the night, I thought Milford played all over him.

The CCM was laughable. He wasn’t in the top 5 players on the field that night. To be fair, Johns didn’t deserve the medal in 2001 either, but he certainly played a great game in both Grand Finals. Thurston was great in neither of his.
And Joey played the 1997 GF with a punchered lung

Knight Vision

First Grade
JT had a bigger motor and could cover tackle all day long being that he was slighter in build.
surely you jest? The bloke was always in the top 5 most missed tackles. A human turnstyle for quite literally an area that makes up 50% of the game......Defence . Thurston had the benifit of playing alongside some great players. Joey made others great players. Huge difference. I know who I'd choose if I had to select one of them to play for my life.......A Johns everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

Chin Music

Juniors
We’ve gone a bit off-topic here I just realised.

Surely we can all agree Johns is Thurston’s superior, at a minimum.
We can Albert “Adam” Stephenson,

Joey was a much better defender but Thurston was a lot more fit then barge ass. Thurston was always competitive though. His an ordinary human

beave

Coach
surely you jest? The bloke was always in the top 5 most missed tackles. A human turnstyle for quite literally an area that makes up 50% of the game......Defence . Thurston had the benifit of playing alongside some great players. Joey made others great players. Huge difference. I know who I'd choose if I had to select one of them to play for my life.......A Johns everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

clearly does not understand what a cover tackle is........

Thurston was better at cover tackles...but it’s a bit of a back-handed compliment. A lot easier to take blokes down when they’re running away from you than front-on.

Latest posts