What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repression of rugby league : Information to share and discussion.

Stallion

First Grade
@Stallion
  • 9's not on FTA
  • Lions not playing the Kangaroos next year
  • World Cup scheudling
  • Incompetent administrators

All issues that you have identified in that game. Is that not enough to show you that RL, not RU is our biggest enemy. If we got our house in order there would be nothing RU could do to stop us. We are doing the job for them at the moment. We need to stop playing the victim card and just sort ourselves out.

Yes. We agree. However other rival codes have their part to play. Some (RU) more than others. Not acknowledging that these external factors are champing at the bit to see the demise of rugby league is not wise. Both internally and externally rugby league is at fault and under threat. If it wasn't such a great product to view and play I would have thrown in the towel long ago. But it's not! It's the most entertaining, character building ,physically challenging and potentially universally accepted football code on earth, however the above mentioned reasons/factors are limiting it's reach and relevance.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Haven't used the word 'systematic ' In the hope of coNeal mentioned I'm sure it wouldn't be 'systematic '*your word not mine but perhaps more common than you think? Yes. Hopefully their may be some contributors that have experienced the same and that will add to positive /proactive discourse instead of having ones head in the sand and not seeing it as important.

You claimed that League was being repressed in schools in NZ Not a school, not some schools, but schools in general. By definition that would mean it was systematic. Do you even know what the word means?

So if you are sure it isn't "systematic" then it would mean its isolated and therefore make your entire argument null and void. are you sure you are a teacher?

Stallion

First Grade
You claimed that League was being repressed in schools in NZ Not a school, not some schools, but schools in general. By definition that would mean it was systematic. Do you even know what the word means?

So if you are sure it isn't "systematic" then it would mean its isolated and therefore make your entire argument null and void. are you sure you are a teacher?

Lol. Let there be no doubt, others including myself believe rugby league is being repressed not only in NZ but many places elsewhere around the world. I have articles I can quote you detailing these examples of repression. If you (as a rugby league fan) doubt the integrity of writers such as Dreaneen, I believe you are disingenuous as far as rugby league is concerned. I am of the opinion that rugby league is not been given a fair go in NZ and its lack of presence in that countries schools shows this repression. When I read that people have been caned for playing rugby league it adds to this belief.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Lol. Let there be no doubt, others including myself believe rugby league is being repressed not only in NZ but many places elsewhere around the world. I have articles I can quote you detailing these examples of repression. If you (as a rugby league fan) doubt the integrity of writers such as Dreaneen, I believe you are disingenuous as far as rugby league is concerned. I am of the opinion that rugby league is not been given a fair go in NZ and its lack of presence in that countries schools shows this repression. When I read that people have been caned for playing rugby league it adds to this belief.

Integrity?You do know that "Dreaneen" wants to kill League don't you? Have you actually looked at what his agenda is? no? I didn't think so. His quote from his profile "My dream is for rugby league and rugby union to merge into one code" he wants to kill two sports and create an abortion of a game.

It is your opinion, based on your feelings, not based on actual evidence. That's why you get such a hard time in here. You can't provide evidence to support your claims.

Normally unsourced allegations like you are making are deleted out of hand. Accusations require evidence. Do you want the website to go down that root?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Yes. We agree. However other rival codes have their part to play. Some (RU) more than others. Not acknowledging that these external factors are champing at the bit to see the demise of rugby league is not wise. Both internally and externally rugby league is at fault and under threat. If it wasn't such a great product to view and play I would have thrown in the towel long ago. But it's not! It's the most entertaining, character building ,physically challenging and potentially universally accepted football code on earth, however the above mentioned reasons/factors are limiting it's reach and relevance.

RL has been under threat since 1895, yet here we are in 2019 bigger than ever

Stallion

First Grade
Integrity?You do know that "Dreaneen" wants to kill League don't you? Have you actually looked at what his agenda is? no? I didn't think so. His quote from his profile "My dream is for rugby league and rugby union to merge into one code" he wants to kill two sports and create an abortion of a game.

It is your opinion, based on your feelings, not based on actual evidence. That's why you get such a hard time in here. You can't provide evidence to support your claims.

Normally unsourced allegations like you are making are deleted out of hand. Accusations require evidence. Do you want the website to go down that root?

I'm not commenting on tangents about what Dreaneen aspires for rugby league/union. What I do know is that article is very informative on the repression of rugby league in South Africa and touches on other areas of repression around the world. To my way of thinking and most reasonable people that's valid and proactive discourse on rugby league. Your INPUT is NOT!

Te Kaha

First Grade
I'm not commenting on tangents about what Dreaneen aspires fir rugby league. What I do know is that article is very informative on the repression of rugby league in South Africa and touches on other areas of repression around the world. To my way of thinking and most reasonable people that's valid and proactive discourse on rugby league. Your INPUT is NOT!

so you trust someone who makes unsourced unspecified comments in an opinion piece, because it agrees with your confirmation bias but ignore what else he says because they don't....

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
That's an opinion. Many will agree with me and some like yourself will not. It's also quite possible that such treatment of rugby league playing students is more widespread than you think. It would be great if some other Kiwis that experienced such treatment came forward. Perhaps it's not the done thing for Kiwis? However worth discussing.
I have provided a very high profIle example in Graham Lowe. That's evidence enough. The rest will hopefully be discovered/ unearthed with proactive contributors rather than reactive accusers.
It's not an 'opinion'. You've attempted to extrapolate a single event into systemic bias with no substantive evidence (i.e. not your opinion or your feeling or your suspicion, none of which are admissable as evidence).

If your claim that such treatment is more widespread then you are required to provide sources to substantiate that claim.

Until such time, what amounts to a conspiracy theory and nothing more is not worth discussing.

Valheru

Coach
Agree. Rugby league has been vulnerable since it's break from union. Just believe it has not reached anywhere near the relevance and popularity it deserves.

I have asked you this before and you haven't been able to provide a proper response but will ask again

What do you mean by deserve?

Quite clearly you believe RL is the best sport on earth, an opinion i agree but that is not enough to say that it should be the most popular sport worldwide.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Glad you mentioned that.As one of the most incompetent scheduling decision and incredible "coincidence": The night of the rugby league world cup final also featured a day night Ashes test match in Adelaide.This significantly (*halved? ) the viewing audience for the cup final. At the time rugby union people had influence on Ashes tour scheduling and rugby league hired (leading into the world cup and conveniently a month before it) an AFL administratIve person to 'look after ' the rugby league world cup scheduling. GO FIGURE!

lol, now I'm really confused. Was it union or AFL's fault? Its hard to keep up with the conspiracies!!

Perth Red

Post Whore
No I am stating that Rugby you union is intent on limiting rugby league. It will go to immense lengths to make sure rugby league isn't regarded as internationally relevant. Thus code is trying to hold itself up as the dominant rugby code by undermining rugby-league events and rugby league's ability to draw anear impressive audience. If you subscribe to a belief that rugby league is far more attractive to view then this logic and scheming is not beyond this very powerfully and influential code. They are very much big picture and insidiously unsportsmanlike to the nth degree. The examples are and I'm sure more to follow: France, South Africa, non recognition of rugby league lobbying at GSAIF , no elite private presence of rugby league in Australia schools.....etc. (*the list goes on ) It's not beyond to plot things to undermine rugby-league's progress way in advance of reality. They have done it before and will do.it again. I have a compiled array of repression examples and am happy to quote theme for the so called "rugby league" fans that doubt that union has been extremely underhanded and manipulative in their actions toward rugby league.

96eea10de6d6f4e51e6775fc7337cf4c.jpg

Stallion

First Grade
It's not an 'opinion'. You've attempted to extrapolate a single event into systemic bias with no substantive evidence (i.e. not your opinion or your feeling or your suspicion, none of which are admissable as evidence).

If your claim that such treatment is more widespread then you are required to provide sources to substantiate that claim.

Until such time, what amounts to a conspiracy theory and nothing more is not worth discussing.

My opinion is that you are wrong! It is clearly an opinion based on telltale evidence which some of you choose to deflect and ridicule.

Timmah

Staff member
My opinion is that you are wrong! It is clearly an opinion based on telltale evidence which some of you choose to deflect and ridicule.
"Telltale evidence" is not substantive.

As per this forum's guidelines which are clearly laid out, you are to provide sources to back your claim.

Failing to do so will result in further consequences.

Stallion

First Grade
I have asked you this before and you haven't been able to provide a proper response but will ask again

What do you mean by deserve?

Quite clearly you believe RL is the best sport on earth, an opinion i agree but that is not enough to say that it should be the most popular sport worldwide.

I'm glad we agree about rugby league. That's a good start. I'm stating that the many barriers and obstacles rugby league has faced has detrimentally affected it's growth worldwide and in Australia. If these barriers /obstacles like : the banning of the code in France, the rare access to elite private schooling, the non recognition of it as an international sport which has negated various countries govt funding of this code, the jailing of entrepreneurs in the UAE seeking to start up rugby-league, the banning of rugby league in various military regimes for many decades and the lack of high powered business support (*due in some way to lack of elite school presence of rugby league worldwide) and more if you would like me to go on, has hindered the ability for this code to grow. On top of this, incompetent internal administration has its role as well. Rugby league has not achieved what the code deserves in so far as popularity worldwide and its relevance is concerned. As we both admire this supreme football code that's the 'deserve' bit of the comment you asked for.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
No I am stating that Rugby you union is intent on limiting rugby league. It will go to immense lengths to make sure rugby league isn't regarded as internationally relevant. Thus code is trying to hold itself up as the dominant rugby code by undermining rugby-league events and rugby league's ability to draw anear impressive audience. If you subscribe to a belief that rugby league is far more attractive to view then this logic and scheming is not beyond this very powerfully and influential code. They are very much big picture and insidiously unsportsmanlike to the nth degree. The examples are and I'm sure more to follow: France, South Africa, non recognition of rugby league lobbying at GSAIF , no elite private presence of rugby league in Australia schools.....etc. (*the list goes on ) It's not beyond to plot things to undermine rugby-league's progress way in advance of reality. They have done it before and will do.it again. I have a compiled array of repression examples and am happy to quote theme for the so called "rugby league" fans that doubt that union has been extremely underhanded and manipulative in their actions toward rugby league.

Ok but specifically what rugby union people had control over the ashes, in the wall of text you forgot the key point. Facts please.

Timmah

Staff member
I'm glad we agree about rugby league. That's a good start. I'm stating that the many barriers and obstacles rugby league has faces has detrimentally affected it's growth worldwide and in Australia. If these barriers /obstacles like : the banning of the code in France, the rare access to elite private schooling, the non recognition of it as an international sport which has negated various countries govt funding of this code, the jailing of entrepresents in the UAE seeking to start up rugby-league, the banning of rugby league in various military regimes for many decades and the lack of high powered business support (*due in some way to lack of elite school presence of rugby league worldwide) and more if you would like me to go on, has hindered the ability for this code to grow. On top of this incompetent internal administration has its role as well. Rugby league has not achieved what the code deserves on so far as popularI ty worldwide and its relevance is concerned. As we both admire this supreme football code that's the 'deserve' bit of the comment you asked for.
This is probably your most impressive post so far. More of this and less of the conspiracies and you'll likely get a better response to what you're trying to discuss.

Stallion

First Grade
I'm glad we agree about rugby league. That's a good start. I'm stating that the many barriers and obstacles rugby league has faced has detrimentally affected it's growth worldwide and in Australia. If these barriers /obstacles like : the banning of the code in France, the rare access to elite private schooling, the non recognition of it as an international sport which has negated various countries govt funding of this code, the jailing of entrepresents in the UAE seeking to start up rugby-league, the banning of rugby league in various military regimes for many decades and the lack of high powered business support (*due in some way to lack of elite school presence of rugby league worldwide) and more if you would like me to go on, has hindered the ability for this code to grow. On top of this incompetent internal administration has its role as well. Rugby league has not achieved what the code deserves in so far as popularIty worldwide and its relevance is concerned. As we both admire this supreme football code that's the 'deserve' bit of the comment you asked for.

Thanks Timmah!

Stallion

First Grade
This is probably your most impressive post so far. More of this and less of the conspiracies and you'll likely get a better response to what you're trying to discuss.

Thanks Timmah. I've probably assumed a prior knowledge on a rugby league website. That's probably frustrated some of my responses. Suppose we are all learning.

Stallion

First Grade
Ok but specifically what rugby union people had control over the ashes, in the wall of text you forgot the key point. Facts please.

I'm aware of a few rugby union people(Pat Howard and someone else?) involved with the Cricket Australia over this time leading into the Rugby league world cup. Just noticed a coincidence of an Ashes cricket day/night test match clashing with the rugby league world cup final date as a tad too coincidental.

Last edited: