What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edwards or DWZ for fullback next year

Dwz or Edwards for full back

• DWZ

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Edwards

Votes: 33 67.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

betcats

Referee
Brought on by injury. How many bad games has Edwards played for us? Remember Ivan wanted Moylan at Tigs at FB too. If a ball playing FB is wanted Edwards gets it. Aside from the halves, Blake and the backrow no one should be assured a start

Exactly, Dallin didn’t train there all offseason last year and he still played great and got picked for the kiwis there. Mate you say no one is assured a spot at the same time saying there’s no way Dallin can be the first choice fullback. That’s a contradiction. Ivan could easily be leaning one way or the other.

Edwards is not a ball playing fb by any stretch, Dallin can pass the ball just as well as Edwards if not better. Edwards ball playing last season was disappointing, he was bombing chances.

I’ve no idea who is first choice, but Ivan was playing Dallin there 4 years ago whenever Moylan got hurt and constantly talked him up. Don’t be surprised if it’s Dallin and not Edwards.

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
Where did this myth that Edwards is a good ball playing fullback originate? He has been solid at best in that department.

Dallin for Kiwis did better at ball playing then Edwards has for us... in our jersey neither has really looked decent at ball playing though. But I feel that could be the 'gameplans' we used more than their ability.

It's a bit hard to show off skills the coach isn't trying to utilise. So its slso not fair to compare them in an area that they weren't really asked to do.

mxlegend99

Referee
Depends. Dallen is going to backup FB/Centre. On a team where all his mates are. He has a family and a team yet too peak... It would take a huge offer to move him I think
This will be his 6th season of NRL. He has played tests for his country at fullback.

Im not sure being our backup fullback would cut it today... because ideally we dont ever want to be on our backup option.

We're kidding ourselves if we don't think he will get offers to play fullback after 2018 and good money to go along with it. Unfortunately great form makes players a target.

betcats

Referee
Where did this myth that Edwards is a good ball playing fullback originate? He has been solid at best in that department.

Dallin for Kiwis did better at ball playing then Edwards has for us... in our jersey neither has really looked decent at ball playing though. But I feel that could be the 'gameplans' we used more than their ability.

It's a bit hard to show off skills the coach isn't trying to utilise. So its slso not fair to compare them in an area that they weren't really asked to do.

Because he played in the halves when he was younger or something like that.

betcats

Referee
And as far as their error rates are concerned, Dallin averaged exactly 1 error a game last season(20 errors in 20 games). Edwards averaged slightly over 1 error a game last year(10 errors in 8 games) so there is no splitting them there.

So it’s also a myth that Edwards makes less errors, Franklin seems to perpetuate a lot of myths round here. @franklin2323

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
Aekins might factor in to either Dallin or Edwards leaving if they don’t get the spot. He looks like a handy backup. Though if Dallin is picked on the wing I think he might stay anyway. We just brought his brother back and he is all about family.

franklin2323

Immortal
Exactly, Dallin didn’t train there all offseason last year and he still played great and got picked for the kiwis there. Mate you say no one is assured a spot at the same time saying there’s no way Dallin can be the first choice fullback. That’s a contradiction. Ivan could easily be leaning one way or the other.

Edwards is not a ball playing fb by any stretch, Dallin can pass the ball just as well as Edwards if not better. Edwards ball playing last season was disappointing, he was bombing chances.

I’ve no idea who is first choice, but Ivan was playing Dallin there 4 years ago whenever Moylan got hurt and constantly talked him up. Don’t be surprised if it’s Dallin and not Edwards.

Yet when the option was to put Dallin to fullback and Moylan 5/8th in 2014. It wasn't taken. Who is to say Ivan even rates Dallin as a fullback?

Where did I say Dallin was no chance? I said it was too soon. What if Edwards carves up in the trials? Do you not pick him because an injury lost him his spot last year

1st trial is usually fringe guys and guys coming back from injury. You'd think Edwards would play both. Dallin would get time back their too

franklin2323

Immortal
This will be his 6th season of NRL. He has played tests for his country at fullback.

Im not sure being our backup fullback would cut it today... because ideally we dont ever want to be on our backup option.

We're kidding ourselves if we don't think he will get offers to play fullback after 2018 and good money to go along with it. Unfortunately great form makes players a target.

Where would he go? Most have a pretty good fullback or one in the pipeline. He has played what 30 games at FB? The sample size is too small on either to say they are a FG fullback

betcats

Referee
Yet when the option was to put Dallin to fullback and Moylan 5/8th in 2014. It wasn't taken. Who is to say Ivan even rates Dallin as a fullback?

Where did I say Dallin was no chance? I said it was too soon. What if Edwards carves up in the trials? Do you not pick him because an injury lost him his spot last year

1st trial is usually fringe guys and guys coming back from injury. You'd think Edwards would play both. Dallin would get time back their too

Dallin was 18 in 2014 and only made his debut that year Ivan probably thought he wand the ready for it, it means f**k all. Who rushes a teenager out of nyc into fullback if they don’t have to? Most fullbacks start on the wing. Moylan was killing it at fb and Soward was killing it too.

Ivan talked about moving them both(Moylan and Dallin) when he was here, he literally talked up what a big career Dwz is going to have.

Last edited:

Abacus

Juniors
Tbf, DWZ got picked for NZ based on his form in his club position - back-up FB.

NZ lost RTS and they don't have a great deal of FB depth. Let's not make DWZ's selection there more than what it was.

betcats

Referee

NZ lost RTS and they don't have a great deal of FB depth. Let's not make DWZ's selection there more than what it was.

No one is doing that. He got picked, made captain and played pretty well. That's just what happened.

Edwards is being talked up as a ball playing fullback who doesn't make many errors. Neither of those things are true. Don't get me wrong Edwards is brilliant id be happy to have him as FB but he isn't a ball player and he isn't particularly safe under the high ball. He is running fullback, that is his strength. They both are kind of similar actually, Dallin is just more aggressive and Edwards is a far better support player.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
2017 Edwards Ave 180m a game. 5th in the comp. 1st at the club
2018 ave 143m 2nd only to Aekins at the club

2017 Kick return metres. Edwards 3rd in the comp with 70.8

2018 Linebreaks he again was 2nd 0.8 a game. Blake was 0.6
2017 Linebreaks 0.6 a game. Blake 0.6 a game
2018 tackle bust 3.6 a game. 2nd to Blake 3.8
2017 tackle busts 5.9 a game. 6th in the comp only Mansour in front a Panthers

Has more kicks and kick metres in total then Dallin despite playing less games.
More line break assists than Dallin again in less games
Try assists Dallin 3. Edwards 2

a few of the 2017 comparisions can't be done due to Dallin on the wing. Though Blake is our best back and Edwards matches him in a few categories.

So again I ask what has Edwards done besides be injured to atleast not get a run at the fullback jersey?

franklin2323

Immortal

It would of been interesting if Aekins was able to play if DWZ keeps the one. He was good but nothing outstanding

betcats

Referee
2017 Edwards Ave 180m a game. 5th in the comp. 1st at the club
2018 ave 143m 2nd only to Aekins at the club

2017 Kick return metres. Edwards 3rd in the comp with 70.8

2018 Linebreaks he again was 2nd 0.8 a game. Blake was 0.6
2017 Linebreaks 0.6 a game. Blake 0.6 a game
2018 tackle bust 3.6 a game. 2nd to Blake 3.8
2017 tackle busts 5.9 a game. 6th in the comp only Mansour in front a Panthers

Has more kicks and kick metres in total then Dallin despite playing less games.
More line break assists than Dallin again in less games
Try assists Dallin 3. Edwards 2

a few of the 2017 comparisions can't be done due to Dallin on the wing. Though Blake is our best back and Edwards matches him in a few categories.

So again I ask what has Edwards done besides be injured to atleast not get a run at the fullback jersey?

Its hard to come up with Line break and try assists while playing half your games on the wing.

I didn't say Edwards doesn't deserve a run at fullback or did anything wrong. I just think Dallin has a higher ceiling and prefer his aggressiveness.

On that though Dallin played fb in 2015 and ran for atleast 180m and 200m a couple of time in his first few games there, his form at FB before he got hurt was awesome, he had done everything he should of to be the next in line after Moylan, so if that how you are deciding who plays there Dallin deserves first shot. That's not how it gets picked though.

We played our best footy last year when Dallin was 1, that stands out in my memory, we were on the fron foot a lotbecause he was aggressive chasing down kicks and getting there on the full. He has also developed into a leader now, something that suits a fullback. That's what I like about Dallin, his aggressiveness and his explosiveness. Its an attitude that our team desperately needs.

Edit: All that being said I can see why people prefer Dylan, he is going to be a great fullback and his effort and work ethic are second to none, I just think Dallin has it in him to be better.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Its hard to come up with Line break and try assists while playing half your games on the wing.

I didn't say Edwards doesn't deserve a run at fullback or did anything wrong. I just think Dallin has a higher ceiling and prefer his aggressiveness.

On that though Dallin played fb in 2015 and ran for atleast 180m and 200m a couple of time in his first few games there, his form at FB before he got hurt was awesome, he had done everything he should of to be the next in line after Moylan, so if that how you are deciding who plays there Dallin deserves first shot. That's not how it gets picked though.

We played our best footy last year when Dallin was 1, that stands out in my memory, we were on the fron foot a lotbecause he was aggressive chasing down kicks and getting there on the full. He has also developed into a leader now, something that suits a fullback. That's what I like about Dallin, his aggressiveness and his explosiveness. Its an attitude that our team desperately needs.

Edit: All that being said I can see why people prefer Dylan, he is going to be a great fullback and his effort and work ethic are second to none, I just think Dallin has it in him to be better.

That is why I didn't compare the 2 in 2017 stats just Edwards with the rest of the team or the comp. The comparison is against the 8 games Edwards played last year.

Higher ceiling how? one has had 6 pre seasons. one is in his 3rd both are very raw in terms of being a FG fullback. Both could be anything given their ages. I just hope form not injury sorts it out

betcats

Referee
That is why I didn't compare the 2 in 2017 stats just Edwards with the rest of the team or the comp. The comparison is against the 8 games Edwards played last year.

Higher ceiling how? one has had 6 pre seasons. one is in his 3rd both are very raw in terms of being a FG fullback. Both could be anything given their ages. I just hope form not injury sorts it out

That's fair. Higher ceiling because I think Dallin is more skilled and a better athlete and just more talented overall. Dylan just works harder. I think this competition for FB and a genuine chance at making it his own could be the key to unlocking his true potential, he just has to work harder to get the most out of his talents and skillset, something I think Dylan has already done.

If Dallin can win this battle and be given a genuine run at FB I think we will see him become a genuine star in the position. He has only ever played there as a back up, he's never trained there consistently as our first choice like Dylan and Moylan before him.