What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG hunters

mikail-eagle

Bench
The Wynnum Manly Seagulls have by-passed the Hunters and gone straight down to the Digicel Cup to sign Edwin Ipape from the Lae Tigers.

Tigers’ Ipape joins Wynnum Manly

LAE Snax Tigers and PNG LNG Kumuls five-eighth Edwin Ipape left the country on Sunday to join Brisbane Q-Cup club Wynnum Manly Seagulls for the 2019 season.
According to Tigers coach Stanley Tepend, Ipape is on a sports visa and contracted for one year for the Gulls.

Tepend said Ipape flew down to Brisbane over the weekend and had his first team training on Monday.
“It’s early yet but they have watched him play in the Digicel Cup and have high expectations for him at the club,” Tepend said.

“There are also two Hunters players, Edene Gabbie and Rhadley Brawa, already with the Seagulls and with Ipape going direct to Q-Cup from Digicel Cup is a good recognition for our competition where players can go direct to other Intrust clubs apart from through the Hunters.”

Tepend speaking well of Edwin said he was a talented players with the required attributes (speed, vision, kicking and passing skills) to be a successful footballer.
He said Ipape would benefit from training in Australia and experiencing the life style.
“Tigers through its sponsor Lae Biscuit and owner Ian Chow and brother Adrian Chow have both supported Edwin and are happy to have him with the Seagulls.

“It’s another massive contribution that the Chow family has done to make sure another young kid from Tigers and PNG can get a chance.
“We hope Edwin can make the most of this opportunity and follow in footsteps of another Tigers man in Justin Olam to the NRL.
“It’s only early and there is a lot of work to be done for Edwin and we can only wish him all the best and the rest is up to him now,” Tepend said.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
The Wynnum Manly Seagulls have by-passed the Hunters and gone straight down to the Digicel Cup to sign Edwin Ipape from the Lae Tigers.

Tigers’ Ipape joins Wynnum Manly

LAE Snax Tigers and PNG LNG Kumuls five-eighth Edwin Ipape left the country on Sunday to join Brisbane Q-Cup club Wynnum Manly Seagulls for the 2019 season.
According to Tigers coach Stanley Tepend, Ipape is on a sports visa and contracted for one year for the Gulls.

Tepend said Ipape flew down to Brisbane over the weekend and had his first team training on Monday.
“It’s early yet but they have watched him play in the Digicel Cup and have high expectations for him at the club,” Tepend said.

“There are also two Hunters players, Edene Gabbie and Rhadley Brawa, already with the Seagulls and with Ipape going direct to Q-Cup from Digicel Cup is a good recognition for our competition where players can go direct to other Intrust clubs apart from through the Hunters.”

Tepend speaking well of Edwin said he was a talented players with the required attributes (speed, vision, kicking and passing skills) to be a successful footballer.
He said Ipape would benefit from training in Australia and experiencing the life style.
“Tigers through its sponsor Lae Biscuit and owner Ian Chow and brother Adrian Chow have both supported Edwin and are happy to have him with the Seagulls.

“It’s another massive contribution that the Chow family has done to make sure another young kid from Tigers and PNG can get a chance.
“We hope Edwin can make the most of this opportunity and follow in footsteps of another Tigers man in Justin Olam to the NRL.
“It’s only early and there is a lot of work to be done for Edwin and we can only wish him all the best and the rest is up to him now,” Tepend said.
Was Ipape cut from the 2019 hunters camp or still part of the remaining squad??

mikail-eagle

Bench
Was Ipape cut from the 2019 hunters camp or still part of the remaining squad??

He was part of the orignal Hunters 63 man squad that started preseason training in December.
But he was let go just before christmas. His coach at the Lae Tigers is also part of Michael Marum's inner circle so they probably knew back than about his move to Wynnum Manly.

He was being touted as the perfect replacement for Ase Boas at the Hunters so now they have to find somebody else.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
He was part of the orignal Hunters 63 man squad that started preseason training in December.
But he was let go just before christmas. His coach at the Lae Tigers is also part of Michael Marum's inner circle so they probably knew back than about his move to Wynnum Manly.

He was being touted as the perfect replacement for Ase Boas at the Hunters so now they have to find somebody else.
Good stuff.

If you get time ME can you compile a list of kumuls currently playing in the Queensland and NSW cups and NRL please marra. Obviously excluding the hunters :smirk:

mikail-eagle

Bench
Good stuff.

If you get time ME can you compile a list of kumuls currently playing in the Queensland and NSW cups and NRL please marra. Obviously excluding the hunters :smirk:

Current Kumuls playing in Aust.

1. Justin Olam - Melbourne Storm
2. Zev John-Melborune Storm/Victoria Thunderbolts
3. Rhyse Martin - Bulldogs
4. Nene McDonald-Cowboys
5. Daniel Russell - Cowboys
6. Kyle Laybutt - Cowboys ??
7. Lachland Lam - Roosters
8. James Segeyaro- Sharks ??
9. Nixon Putt- North Devils
10. Rhadley Brawa- Wynnum Manly Seagulls
11. Edene Gabi- Wynnum Manly Seagulls
12. Edwin Ipape- Wynnum Manly Seagulls

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Current Kumuls playing in Aust.

4. Nene McDonald-Cowboys
Thanks ME.

What about rod griffin? Richard&seb pandia? And Tyson Martin?

mikail-eagle

Bench
Thanks ME.

What about rod griffin? Richard&seb pandia? And Tyson Martin?

Ooops sorry I forgot about them.

I think Tyson Martin is now retired.
So a complete list should be;

4. Nene McDonald-Cowboys
13. Richard Pandia-Ipswich Jets
14. Sebastin Pandia -Ipswich Jets
15. Luke Page - Burleigh Bears
16. Tommy Butterfield - East Tigers
17. Kurt Baptiste - Roosters
18. Rod Grifin- Townsville Blackhawks ?

Perth Red

Post Whore
In UK you have
Ase and Watson Boas at Featherstone Rovers
David Mead at Les Catalans
Wellington Albert Widnes

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
What the hunters has done for the PNG national side is given them a solid core of professional players. I agree that it would be nice for more in the top leagues but i think that will come. For now they are building a really solid base and improving the national side. In 10 years time i reckon there will be lots of PNG players across NSW/QLD cup and in NRL teams and i think this will make the PNG national team really strong.

PNG as a national team have so much potential...

The stereotypical PNG guy (like most of the Pacific nations) is big and fast. With RL at the most popular sport (so all of the kids with athletic potential will be dreaming of RL) and the population (so a lot of kids dreaming), they should be able to leapfrog NZ and even England on the world rankings.

The passion is there and the players are definitely there. All they need is the coaching and development...

Last edited:

Walter sobchak

First Grade
PNG as a national team have so much potential...

The stereotypical PNG guy (like most of the Pacific nations) is big and fast. With RL at the most popular sport (so all of the kids with athletic potential will be dreaming of RL) and the population (so a lot of kids dreaming), they should be able to leapfrog NZ and even England on the world rankings.

The passion is there and the players are definitely there. All they need is the coaching and development...
Stereotypically kumuls are quite short but very stocky and physical and like other pacific nations lack creativity in the halves.

Also I couldn’t agree more with you about PNG’s potential. They have a fairly decent sized population of 8.5 million which is fast growing every year and RL is the national sport. Like you say the kumuls just need structure and pathways for their top athletes and regular international RL games.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Stereotypically kumuls are quite short but very stocky and physical and like other pacific nations lack creativity in the halves.

Also I couldn’t agree more with you about PNG’s potential. They have a fairly decent sized population of 8.5 million which is fast growing every year and RL is the national sport. Like you say the kumuls just need structure and pathways for their top athletes and regular international RL games.

I think a lot of the creativity bit comes from lack of proper coaching and development pathways from a young age. Until you have the resources to have high quality coaches, nutrition programs, elite jnr squads at age groups regular elite competition etc it wont matter how many kids play the game. I'm not sure what is happening under the Hunters to address this at a schools or Jnr football level?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Id put that down to a lack of high-level coaching for the kids...

In West Sydney, if a kid shows potential, they will be hotboxed in one of a dozen systems that give them access to some of the worlds best RL coaches.

In the Islands, if a kid shows potential, they will stay in their same local team and just try their best. That can work fin with the forwards/backs (not brilliant, but fine). But when it comes to the playmakers, these guys need ingrained instincts that they are learning at 10.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
I think a lot of the creativity bit comes from lack of proper coaching and development pathways from a young age. Until you have the resources to have high quality coaches, nutrition programs, elite jnr squads at age groups regular elite competition etc it wont matter how many kids play the game. I'm not sure what is happening under the Hunters to address this at a schools or Jnr football level?
The quick solution to this is like what the NRL clubs do with talented schoolboys from New Zealand who are identified at an early age of say 13-15 years old and brought over to Australia on scholarships.

Long term solution however is to get young kumuls aged from say 16-20 years old playing in the Queensland cup youth leagues either for the hunters or for Australian based Queensland cup sides.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Id put that down to a lack of high-level coaching for the kids...

In West Sydney, if a kid shows potential, they will be hotboxed in one of a dozen systems that give them access to some of the worlds best RL coaches.

In the Islands, if a kid shows potential, they will stay in their same local team and just try their best. That can work fin with the forwards/backs (not brilliant, but fine). But when it comes to the playmakers, these guys need ingrained instincts that they are learning at 10.
Get the kumul schoolboys from ages 12-16 to tour Queensland and NSW in the hope of being spotted and signed up on scholarships like the kiwi kids.

Latest posts