What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter Beatte NRL 360 - expansion

tri_colours

Juniors
That is a different topic. Is the sport of Rugby League dying in Newcastle?

No? So we can see that fan loyalty actually just shifted to the united Newcastle team.

I live in the Newcastle area , played in the local juniors and can say with certainty it didn't. Many have turned to the knight but quiet a few haven't . The coverage of the local comp is almost non existent . The nights are very popular, even though 12 months ago they were struggling to keep there head above waters. Soccer has taken some of the slack up as has Union and AFL. The other codes get a lot more coverage than they used to.,

Stallion

First Grade
I'm not sure if you've spent much time around Australia but outside of NSW and Qland once beyond the ex pats it really doesn't. Majority of the public in half the country would be hard pushed to name a Sydney RL player or know which suburb the Panthers represented.

The expat supporters are the key to expansion champ. You lose a club. The game loses them and the free recommendation about how good the NRL is.Simple as that.

Stallion

First Grade
No one is saying we should lose ALL of the Sydney clubs. One or 2 would do it.

Lol . It's actually gone too far as it is! Losing a top flight club in northern Sydney has made the code very vulnerable within a population base of 1.2 million right now! I do suggest get the Bears back!(even if it's Central Coast-the hibernating bears fans will cop that!) No more blood letting. It's counterproductive and dilutes the relevance of the code in the city that has Australia's largest population and spawned it. Once again, I'm fine with additional clubs elsewhere. Let these so called administrative geniuses work out a decent draw and proceed onwards.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
I live in the Newcastle area , played in the local juniors and can say with certainty it didn't. Many have turned to the knight but quiet a few haven't . The coverage of the local comp is almost non existent . The nights are very popular, even though 12 months ago they were struggling to keep there head above waters. Soccer has taken some of the slack up as has Union and AFL. The other codes get a lot more coverage than they used to.,

Yes. Absolutely. I've noted this in the various schools I teach at. I'm also a born and bred Novocastrian whom played and coached locally. (trialled in Sydney as well)In some schools it's as if "Whats rugby league!?" I recall one school had a year 3/4 class and the boys were so proud of the fact they were playing AFL. One of the 20something year old male teachers sang a Collingwood theme song in front of me. This guy grew up in the North Coast of NSW! It's not as if I haven't acted on my concerns. Three years ago, I emailed the local development RL people and recommended Leaguetag for the primary schools. After initially making the mistake of targeting high schools, they eventually got it right and approached primary schools. Results like 73 schools attending a gala leaguetag day in East Maitland in 2017 and 54 schools attending another gala day in Belmont during term 4 of 2018 have been realised. Otherwise rugby league would be of virtually little relevance without the Leaguetag push in our local schools. Mind you the other codes have been pushing clinics as well! ( union,AFL &soccer ) Backyard league (although a bit vague in rugby league centric skills) has been about at a few Schools I've taught at. But nowhere near the amount I've seen from AFL and even union over the past 5 years.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The expat supporters are the key to expansion champ. You lose a club. The game loses them and the free recommendation about how good the NRL is.Simple as that.

Yep, those expats have been super valuable for the Storm. RL people there have really accepted them as their second team...

Its a shame people in Perth don’t have any team to follow just because Sydney needs one for every suburb

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

So youre saying people
Were turning to the Sydney (away from their old local loyalties) even before the local Knights were introduced.

Still seems like an arguement for rationalization in Sydney. If loyalties can shift so quickly in every other market, why is Sydnay different?

Stallion

First Grade
Yep, those expats have been super valuable for the Storm. RL people there have really accepted them as their second team...

Its a shame people in Perth don’t have any team to follow just because Sydney needs one for every suburb

I suggest that maintaining existing clubs is not the real reason for no Perth team. More like poor administrators whom don't have the gumption and proactive endeavor to add clubs to this competition that should have more clubs involved.

tri_colours

Juniors
So youre saying people
Were turning to the Sydney (away from their old local loyalties) even before the local Knights were introduced.

Still seems like an arguement for rationalization in Sydney. If loyalties can shift so quickly in every other market, why is Sydnay different?

Do you judt talk to hea
So youre saying people

Another point you seem to be blindly missing. Sydney , the area you want to kill of - at least dilute , is the most important piece of advertising landscape in the country. Something the AFL would dearly love to get there hands on and would if you had any say in how the game was run . :confused:

The game had never better in better shape :confused:

And At a time when the ARL were looking for ways to reduce clubs in Sydney you wanted them to sign contracts that would commit the ARL to the clubs.:confused:

Back arse logic at its best.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
iALSO

I also noticed that 3 of the top 4 are Sydney Clubs. The Roosters are one of the wealthier clubs and the Panthers is arguably the largest brand name in sport

List of largest sporting brands(2013)

1. Penrith
3. Bulldogs
11. Parramatta
15. Brisbane
18 Canberra
20 Roosters

True, but I was asking based on brand recognition and fan base, not necessarily finances. I think you will find the Storm are right up there now and the Warriors are a powerful brand because of, not only being the only RL brand in NZ but their ability to pull expats to their games in Australia.

Stallion

First Grade
True, but I was asking based on brand recognition and fan base, not necessarily finances. I think you will find the Storm are right up there now and the Warriors are a powerful brand because of, not only being the only RL brand in NZ but their ability to pull expats to their games in Australia.

With respect : it looks like THE RESPECT that should be afforded the Sydney clubs is not being shown by some on this site. The NRL would not exist had it not been for the magnificent rivalry and chemistry of the clubs so many people adore / dislike and are familiar with. This is being forgot by the "get rid of a club in Sydney faction ". The disrespect is astounding. And I'm all for additional clubs from elsewhere but don't kill the golden goose that laid the golden eggs!

tri_colours

Juniors

In todays game though , finances /advertising are pretty much the be all and end all of everything., and any success is not going to happen without them. The East Coast is the most financial area in Australia , with Sydney being the jewel in the crown and any thoughts of splitting or diluting our advantages would be dissasterous for the game

King hit

Coach
Everything wrong with the game is Cronullas fault.

Says the guy who supports a club with the most unpopular tactics in the game, have the most hated player/players in the comp, an army of deluded fans and have committed the most disgraceful graphic salary cap abuse ever seen.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Says the guy who supports a club with the most unpopular tactics in the game, have the most hated player/players in the comp, an army of deluded fans and have committed the most disgraceful graphic salary cap abuse ever seen.
Most unpopular tactics in the game, most hated player/players, an army of deluded fans, consistent pattern of flagrantly cheating... I’m confused, PR doesn’t support Cronulla as well does he?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Do you judt talk to hea

Another point you seem to be blindly missing. Sydney , the area you want to kill of - at least dilute , is the most important piece of advertising landscape in the country. Something the AFL would dearly love to get there hands on and would if you had any say in how the game was run . :confused:

The game had never better in better shape :confused:

And At a time when the ARL were looking for ways to reduce clubs in Sydney you wanted them to sign contracts that would commit the ARL to the clubs.:confused:

Back arse logic at its best.

Prey do tell how afl would manage that with just 1.5 clubs? If they can do it with so few clubs why do we need so many to hold it? Despite the loss and merger of Sydney clubs in recent times the tv audience remains strong in Sydney suggesting more rationalisation will have little impact mid to long term on tv audiences or advertising $.

Perth Red

Post Whore

You missed off most successful lol
Could be worse we could be systemic drug cheats.

King hit

Coach
You missed off most successful lol
Could be worse we could be systemic drug cheats.

Openly supporting systemic salary cap fraud when it favours you and laughs it off. They were successful because they fielded an ILLEGAL team which they went to great FRAUDELENT lengths to HIDE it from the rest of the comp giving them leg ups which they benifeted from. And they are still are lead by the same 2 men that lead them through those years. Your hypocrisy in hating the Sharks when your club has broken the most rules on and off the field and have more influence over referees than any other club is unbelievable.

148AFF3A-43D6-4EA5-AFD3-785C604FFBE8.jpeg

tri_colours

Juniors
Prey do tell how afl would manage that with just 1.5 clubs? If they can do it with so few clubs why do we need so many to hold it? Despite the loss and merger of Sydney clubs in recent times the tv audience remains strong in Sydney suggesting more rationalisation will have little impact mid to long term on tv audiences or advertising $.

If You start using Sydney clubs as feeder clubs qr merge entities your going to lose thousands even millions of fans. Many might come back , many will be lost to league. Many of the ones that do come back will never have the same passion and conviction levels .

Less viewer means lower rating!

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Openly supporting systemic salary cap fraud when it favours you and laughs it off. They were successful because they fielded an ILLEGAL team which they went to great FRAUDELENT lengths to HIDE it from the rest of the comp giving them leg ups which they benifeted from. And they are still are lead by the same 2 men that lead them through those years. Your hypocrisy in hating the Sharks when your club has broken the most rules on and off the field and have more influence over referees than any other club is unbelievable.

View attachment 26233

Do you really want me to list drugullas black marks over the last decade? Lol

Latest posts