What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corey Norman??

TruSaint

Referee
Ditto on my last post - I honestly think he was bought to replace Widdop for 2019 but Widdop then decided to stick around for this year. Now we have to make him fit. I also believe that he is not an upgrade on our current 6 or 1.

all good, i replied to your earlier post mate.

DragonJ

Juniors
So by your analogy we should also sign some of the Dogs and Knights players as they have stitched us up nicely several times over the last few years whilst they were shit teams as well.
Over the last few years we have lost so many games to lowly sides and some of those by horrendous margins we actually don't have enough space to fit all the players who schooled us.
PS
In almost all of those games our forwards got smashed on the day so don't get too boisterous about our pack because whilst it is good it ain't invincible.

Absolutely I would love the club to sign that winger who Dufty ran away from in defence and Hopoate for a reasonable price! Wouldn't you? Maybe more but the Morris twins are getting too near the end of their careers. I'd prefer the club took a punt on younger wingers as it has done. Foran is a little too injury prone. Would prefer Norman. Don't need forwards.

I can recall Newcastle beating us but I can't remember them putting a big score on us. But anyway, I'd love the club to sign Ponga. I'd prefer Hunt to Pearce and I don't rate any of their other backs particularly highly.
Over the course of the past few years, where we have chosen to take the 2 points on multiple occasions during a game, and ended winning by a margin of say 2-6 points, are there to see. Under pressure Widdop has been a great goal kicker. Its not something to be overlooked. Has he missed the occasional sitter, yes, but in general and in big games he has delivered.

Lomax should be and probably will be the goal kicker this year and hopefully for many years to come. The bottom line is that for whatever reason, the Widdop era has been spectacularly unsuccessful.

Ditto on my last post - I honestly think he was bought to replace Widdop for 2019 but Widdop then decided to stick around for this year. Now we have to make him fit. I also believe that he is not an upgrade on our current 6 or 1.

I believe Widdop is going to sign a deal with ESL and not be with us for round 1 this year. I haven't watched all their games but judging by the games where they have played us recently, Norman is going to be a spectacular signing.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Absolutely I would love the club to sign that winger who Dufty ran away from in defence and Hopoate for a reasonable price! Wouldn't you? Maybe more but the Morris twins are getting too near the end of their careers. I'd prefer the club took a punt on younger wingers as it has done. Foran is a little too injury prone. Would prefer Norman. Don't need forwards.

I can recall Newcastle beating us but I can't remember them putting a big score on us. But anyway, I'd love the club to sign Ponga. I'd prefer Hunt to Pearce and I don't rate any of their other backs particularly highly.

Lomax should be and probably will be the goal kicker this year and hopefully for many years to come. The bottom line is that for whatever reason, the Widdop era has been spectacularly unsuccessful.

I believe Widdop is going to sign a deal with ESL and not be with us for round 1 this year. I haven't watched all their games but judging by the games where they have played us recently, Norman is going to be a spectacular signing.
Widdop's flying British airways

avocado

Juniors
I'm tipping our centres for round 1 to be Lomax and Lafai.
Widdop is likely to play fullback.
Pearson would be odds on to be one of the wingers.
Norman to 6.
I’m also hopeful of this. Perera and Ravalawa can fight for the other wing spot.
Pretty excited about Pearson. People have questioned why he hasn’t played first grade but the two wingers in front of him were world class.

getsmarty

Immortal
The Dragons' conundrum of what to do with Corey Norman?

The St George Illawarra Dragons had a close look at Jarryd Hayne until he faced criminal charges last year. Now they have signed Corey Norman, so it is clear that the Dragons were after a playmaker to cover the uncertainty regarding Gareth Widdop continuing with the club.

But now they have another playmaker on the books what do they do with Corey Norman?
If Widdop is leaving in 2020 then the Dragons clearly need to play Corey Norman in the Halves, which presumably means that Widdop will go to fullback forcing the incumbent Dufty out of that position.

Norman did not have a good year by his standards in 2018, but he clearly has an attacking spark which could lift the Dragons in 2019. Dufty showed great speed from fullback last year and for a small player was able to demonstrate substantial durability over the season.

At the very least, it is clear that Dragons have great depth now in the halves, but they also have the ability to switch and swap players from fullback into the halves during a game which should give them a depth of attacking options.

But all this leaves Dufty either playing in the ISP, on the wing like ex-Dragons great slippery Morris or coming off the bench as an impact player with his acceleration against tiring opponents.

Apart from height – or rather lack of it, I fancy Dufty as a winger who can come in-field during the game to try to make a break when the opportunity arises. Putting Dufty on the bench is in my view – not the preferred alternative.

Otherwise, the Dragons are essentially the same team as last year but one year wiser and perhaps stronger and more confident, but the sexual assault charges hanging over Dragons forward De Belin will obviously be a major distraction during the season, which they tried to avoid by not hiring Hayne.

With Widdop currently a captain, I would suggest that the Dragons will give consideration to a dual captaincy this year with a view to Widdop possibly leaving in 2020.

I expect Dragons to make the top four in the NRL this year, with their forwards being slightly stronger and their backs having more attacking options with Corey Norman in the halves.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/01/11/the-dragons-conundrum-of-what-to-do-with-corey-norman/

Crush

Coach
Dufty has to be in the starting team. Dropping him to ISP is craziness. If it isn't at fullback then chuck him on the wing (yes I know he is tiny, yes I know he can't catch high balls).
Leaving someone with his speed and skills out altogether is ludicrous.

possm

Coach
Dufty has to be in the starting team. Dropping him to ISP is craziness. If it isn't at fullback then chuck him on the wing (yes I know he is tiny, yes I know he can't catch high balls).
Leaving someone with his speed and skills out altogether is ludicrous.

Dufty's pluses are speed and anticipation in attack, his negatives are Defence, High Ball, Positional Play, Rag Doll ……

Attend to and fix the negatives and Dufty may end up being first choice fullback. ISP is the no risk place to do this.

Gareth67

First Grade
I have told the silly beggars time &time again - Norman to fullback, Widdop and Hunt as our half’s . And the speed machine Duffy off the bench . Perhaps Widdop and Norman can alternate their respective roles during the match .

Lomax in the centers with Pierra and Pearson on the wings . If the maestro can take his time with getting the right combinations working ( as do most other coaches ) then the Dragons will reap the rewards at the business end of the season.

possm

Coach
I have told the silly beggars time &time again - Norman to fullback, Widdop and Hunt as our half’s . And the speed machine Duffy off the bench . Perhaps Widdop and Norman can alternate their respective roles during the match .

Lomax in the centers with Pierra and Pearson on the wings . If the maestro can take his time with getting the right combinations working ( as do most other coaches ) then the Dragons will reap the rewards at the business end of the season.
Norman is signed for 3 years and Widdop is leaving at the end of 2019. So at some stage Norman needs to work on combinations with Hunt in the halves. Why waste a year keeping Widdop at 6.

Now if Norman fails to perform at 6, then there is an alternative but until that happens, the most logical selection is Widdop at fullback and Norman at five-eighth.

Dufty to ISP until he rectifies his deficiencies in his skill-set or until Widdop is not available.

We need to select our two quickest and fittest wingers. I am hoping they will be Pearson and Ravalawa purely because of size and speed. I'm sure our wingers will have much more opportunities in 2019.

Crush

Coach
Dufty's pluses are speed and anticipation in attack, his negatives are Defence, High Ball, Positional Play, Rag Doll ……

Attend to and fix the negatives and Dufty may end up being first choice fullback. ISP is the no risk place to do this.
Dufty can work on his weaknesses while playing 1st grade and helping us win games for mine.
Screw wasting a minute with this kid in ISP. He must be playing NRL if we are to be a chance this year.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
It's unfortunate that the bench limit is 4

Maybe the NRL should consider a NFL style "special teams" that a coach can bring on when the team is in attack

But seriously, we can't fit everyone onto the bench. We need 2 for prop rotation and a 2nd row forward, at the moment we assume those would be K.Sims (after he serves his suspension probably Lats will slot in until then) and Lawrie. The 2nd row forward would be Leilua (again assuming JDB plays, if not then probably Host would be the next best fit), so that leaves only 1 spot. There are players who probably deserve to be there, but the structure?. I'm thinking here of Robson, who should be on the bench as our forward utility (hooker, 2nd row), then there is Dufty (assuming either Norman or Widdop play fullback), who would be a real spark off the bench amongst very tired forwards. If Dufty does play fullback, then Norman or Widdop would have to warm the bench. Other contenders for that bench spot could be Host (see JDB comment above), Field and Aitken (assuming Lomax plays right centre) or even Lomax (if Aitken plays right centre).

There are so many variable right now and predicting what will happen against what we want to happen, will certainly do ALL our heads in.

Gareth67

First Grade
Norman is signed for 3 years and Widdop is leaving at the end of 2019. So at some stage Norman needs to work on combinations with Hunt in the halves. Why waste a year keeping Widdop at 6.

Now if Norman fails to perform at 6, then there is an alternative but until that happens, the most logical selection is Widdop at fullback and Norman at five-eighth.

Dufty to ISP until he rectifies his deficiencies in his skill-set or until Widdop is not available.

We need to select our two quickest and fittest wingers. I am hoping they will be Pearson and Ravalawa purely because of size and speed. I'm sure our wingers will have much more opportunities in 2019.

Possum there are not too many members of this forum who remember how Widdop changed our fortunes in 2018 & 2015 in the semifinals, the Dragons , IMO , need him there at seasons end . Corey will undoubtedly have the opportunity of understanding Hunts plays realatively quickly considering he himself has play many games at 5/8 in the past .

Whilst Widdop is still a Dragon let’s use the man to the best of his ability, otherwise its a bit like throwing the hot water out of the bath before you have used it .

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
It's unfortunate that the bench limit is 4

Maybe the NRL should consider a NFL style "special teams" that a coach can bring on when the team is in attack

There are so many variable right now and predicting what will happen against what we want to happen, will certainly do ALL our heads in.

Correct about us contemplating the variables.

Norman and Widdop wont be on the bench IMHO. I know the debate over Dufty is very divisive, but he would be a waste on the interchange, and sorry to say, he would be massacred on the wing.

Your pink text is more fitting for Matt at the minute. Sadly, or gratefully, the NRL doesnt have such squads.

To me, he wont be in the 17, barring injury.

possm

Coach
Dufty can work on his weaknesses while playing 1st grade and helping us win games for mine.
Screw wasting a minute with this kid in ISP. He must be playing NRL if we are to be a chance this year.

No more risking the result of games with players that do not have the elementary skills to perform in first grade. I say gain the skills and be selected without fear of non-performance.

Crush

Coach
No more risking the result of games with players that do not have the elementary skills to perform in first grade. I say gain the skills and be selected without fear of non-performance.
I get your point that he isn't the complete player but that doesn't mean he should be dropped. He should continue his development in first grade because I guarantee, unlike Aitken and Lafai, other clubs will offer Dufty a NRL contract.
He would be a stupid loss. Like losing Ben Barba.

Latest posts