What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corey Norman??

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Agree,
The clubs greatest 1/2 & one of my favourites of all time,Billy Smith was certainly no shrinking violet & you can add a few of his teammates too.
On a scale of 1 to 10 Corey would rate a 3 imo re his off field troubles. One of our golden boys currently has more problems coming up than Corey.

Yes, good ole Billy was certainty a problem child and loved his drink. I was told by those there that he would pick a fight with anyone, male or female.
Very punchy indeed.

Sadly, his best performances were only on the field.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Coffs,
We may need to hire a hotel porter to start carrying the baggage up to the room.
Hopefully its all behind him and but can someone please ban Dylan Napa from entering the St George and Illawarra districts.
We dont want any bad influences infecting our newborn.
Yes OKB, but once a tosser always a tosser. Although he slivered in via the slimey Eels to join the Dragons, I have serious doubts he will fit in! I hope I'm proven wrong.

Carlton

Juniors
I get your point that he isn't the complete player but that doesn't mean he should be dropped. He should continue his development in first grade because I guarantee, unlike Aitken and Lafai, other clubs will offer Dufty a NRL contract.
He would be a stupid loss. Like losing Ben Barba.

He has had time in first grade and his shortcomings did not improve during that time. The urban myth put forward for keeping him there is, that he has won us a number of games. Reality, he didn't, he played some good attack at times and played some crap attack at times. He also caused the team problems with poor defence, poor positioning, lack of effort, poor execution of taking kicks and lack of physicality.

What he showed in first grade is that he needs more time in ISP to work on these things. The trouble with this is next year he would be 24, he is not a junior. Raiders are looking at playing Cotric at fullback at 19? and he is already a much more complete footballer than Dufty. If we want a young gun then OK but we should be looking for the Cotrics and Pongias who have shown they are more rounded players.

Crush

Coach
He has had time in first grade and his shortcomings did not improve during that time. The urban myth put forward for keeping him there is, that he has won us a number of games. Reality, he didn't, he played some good attack at times and played some crap attack at times. He also caused the team problems with poor defence, poor positioning, lack of effort, poor execution of taking kicks and lack of physicality.

What he showed in first grade is that he needs more time in ISP to work on these things. The trouble with this is next year he would be 24, he is not a junior. Raiders are looking at playing Cotric at fullback at 19? and he is already a much more complete footballer than Dufty. If we want a young gun then OK but we should be looking for the Cotrics and Pongias who have shown they are more rounded players.
Disagree, he won us plenty.
Lucky for you it looks like you won't see much of him in first grade this year as McGregor also isn't a fan.

Carlton

Juniors
Disagree, he won us plenty.
Lucky for you it looks like you won't see much of him in first grade this year as McGregor also isn't a fan.

Scoring a try in a game we won doesn't mean he has won it for us. He was a part of a team and unfortunately let that team down with other aspects of his play.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Agree, Dufty certainly won a few for us and helped win a few more. He was an overall upgrade on both Dugan and Nighty at FB.

Yes, Dugan was a defensive fullback who saved our bacon many times.
Nighty not so much defence but good gusty attack and Duffy..... sheer blistering attack with little defence.
All three, great in their own way.
Hope Duffy doesn't get shafted from the team.
There is a place for him.

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
Yes, Dugan was a defensive fullback who saved our bacon many times.
Nighty not so much defence but good gusty attack and Duffy..... sheer blistering attack with little defence.
All three, great in their own way.
Hope Duffy doesn't get shafted from the team.
There is a place for him.
I don't know what they will do with Dufty this year OKB.
I reckon they will start the season with Norman at fullback.
The worst thing they could do is sit him on the bench getting splinters but knowing Mary thats probably what he will do.

possm

Coach
The worst thing they could do is sit him on the bench getting splinters but knowing Mary thats probably what he will do.

Mary will play Widdop at fullback, Norman at 6 and Dufty at fullback in ISP.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Crush,
I know others have mentioned how Steve Morris and Duffy share similar traits and i'm ok with Duffy being on the wing. Yes, he could come off the bench but I think he's too good a player to be left out of the starting team.

I think he'll be happy just being in the team and so will many fans.
Last year was just a start for him.
He will improve and the team will get the benefits from that.

How McGregor deals with this will say a lot about him as a coach................ or not.

Crush

Coach
Crush,
I know others have mentioned how Steve Morris and Duffy share similar traits and i'm ok with Duffy being on the wing. Yes, he could come off the bench but I think he's too good a player to be left out of the starting team.

I think he'll be happy just being in the team and so will many fans.
Last year was just a start for him.
He will improve and the team will get the benefits from that.

How McGregor deals with this will say a lot about him as a coach................ or not.
I agree with you mate, I would be satisfied with Dufty starting on the wing with a game plan to bring him into the game a lot.
I know a lot of the critics will say he is too small and we won't get out of our back 20 at times but its worth a crack.
He gives us the ability to score long range tries, something we have lacked for years.

BLM01

First Grade
I agree with you mate, I would be satisfied with Dufty starting on the wing with a game plan to bring him into the game a lot.
I know a lot of the critics will say he is too small and we won't get out of our back 20 at times but its worth a crack.
He gives us the ability to score long range tries, something we have lacked for years.

Sorry Crush...you should of stopped at Dufty "too small". Wing wont happen unfortunately these days it will prove too costly in the boring back 3 hit ups and metre eaters and the bombs to his wing.
See outside Periera we have not 1 back that can eat up yards out of the backfield except for Aitken. But if he is dropped for Lomax..well it wont work. In fact even if Dufty is not at a winger...who will do the backfield work? Lafai, Lomax, Widdop, Norman..nah!. We are in a bit of bother there and the focus the coach should be talking about insteag of gloating over depth in spine position is the flanks.
I get the comparison to Slippery but Dufty does not run straight. Slippery did and it is a total different gane now. Forwards let the backs do some of the hard work then get a 20 minute breather. The ball is lighter and gets kicked further etc.

Last edited:

possm

Coach

I'm tipping that two of our young gun wingers will be more than capable of scoring long range tries; that is if they are selected in first grade for 2019. Both Pearson and Ravalawa are capable of scoring long range tries.

Crush

Coach
I'm tipping that two of our young gun wingers will be more than capable of scoring long range tries; that is if they are selected in first grade for 2019. Both Pearson and Ravalawa are capable of scoring long range tries.
I hope you are right Possm.
The more I think about it the more I think that McGregor won't change too much at all for 2019. He might even leave the spine exactly as it was last year and use Norman as a the utility, hes that conservative.
He will not want to move Widdop from 6. I can see the press conference.
"Gareth and Ben formed a special partnership last year in the halves and if it wasn't for the injury to Gareth late in the season who knows where we could have finished. We believe our best chance at winning the premiership this year is with that halves combination.
We will look at 2020 next year but for now Gareth is our 6 and captain"

Bench
If Norman plays 5/8 in 2020 and Dufty doesn’t improve would it be worth considering Valentine Homes as fullback. I don’t see him making a big impact in the NFL

Frank Facer

First Grade
If Norman plays 5/8 in 2020 and Dufty doesn’t improve would it be worth considering Valentine Homes as fullback. I don’t see him making a big impact in the NFL
Of course it would be worth considering Holmes. In fact he would be my number one target. We should have some big money available to offer him. We are a club with very good roster right now, that would be appealing to Holmes. With the addition of Holmes at fullback, we would definitely have one of the top 4 teams in the comp and a great chance of winning the comp.

I know that he would be favored to go back to Cronulla or head to Nth Qld, but we should be going hard for his signature.

possm

Coach

Yes in other posts I have even gone a step further. If Holmes is available for 2020, replace all of the deadwood coming off contract with our young juniors with potential and sign Holms with the remaining salary cap. Holmes added to our spine will centainly give us the team who in future years can be very competitive and possibly win a few competitions. Backline of:

1. Holmes
2. Saab
3. Lomax
4. Pearson
5. Ravalawa
6. Norman
7. Hunt

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Agree but does the dickhead with the clipboard also agree......

Mark D

Juniors
Wondering if anyone knows or has heard from credible sources as to how Corey Norman is training ... Would be interested to know if he is having a real dig ?

Latest posts