What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

betcats

Referee
Well hopefully he is over all that. How dare these bloke have personal lives, they should eat, train and sleep, that is all. Footy would be so much simpler that way.

Last edited:

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
Any remember Sammy Elwin? Played with Cleary, Fish, CHN, May and those guys in the NYC.
He's captain/coach of Temora despite being only 23. Never made first grade but hasn't done to badly for himself.

Fangs

Coach
Any remember Sammy Elwin? Played with Cleary, Fish, CHN, May and those guys in the NYC.
He's captain/coach of Temora despite being only 23. Never made first grade but hasn't done to badly for himself.

I don't. But great highlights.

Not gonna replace winning a premiership but we have a lot of talent in this region.

Crashtest

Juniors
Interesting stats on decoy runners in an article on nrl.com. The Tigers came last in 2018 for the number of decoy runners used. And they also came last for tries scored.

The Rabbitohs came first for decoy runners used, by a long margin. And subsequently also came first for the number of tries scored.

Lets hope that this is something Cleary addresses this year with the Panthers, and that he can get more players in motion towards the defensive line, than he did with the Tigers last season.

On a side note, the Panthers under master coach Griffin came sixth for decoy runners.

stats-to-fix---tigers_20190115.jpg

Fangs

Coach
Interesting stats on decoy runners in an article on nrl.com. The Tigers came last in 2018 for the number of decoy runners used. And they also came last for tries scored.

The Rabbitohs came first for decoy runners used, by a long margin. And subsequently also came first for the number of tries scored.

Lets hope that this is something Cleary addresses this year with the Panthers, and that he can get more players in motion towards the defensive line, than he did with the Tigers last season.

On a side note, the Panthers under master coach Griffin came sixth for decoy runners.

Very interesting. Not surprised by the Tigers stats as we know how Cleary deals with attack. He has to evolve if we are to challenge for the title.

What to make of the Panthers under Griffin. At times they were absolutely impotent in attack. Both 2017 and 2018. Decoys and set plays weren't working at all, only late game out of the arse stuff from Kikau's edge kept us in there.

franklin2323

Immortal
Very interesting. Not surprised by the Tigers stats as we know how Cleary deals with attack. He has to evolve if we are to challenge for the title.

What to make of the Panthers under Griffin. At times they were absolutely impotent in attack. Both 2017 and 2018. Decoys and set plays weren't working at all, only late game out of the arse stuff from Kikau's edge kept us in there.

Ivan will get the same from me. I want to see a consistent spine before I will judge.

Have they said what coach is handing what skill? Who we bring on as attacking coach will be key to how we go

Fangs

Coach
Ivan will get the same from me. I want to see a consistent spine before I will judge.

Have they said what coach is handing what skill? Who we bring on as attacking coach will be key to how we go

Not sure but we won't win the premiership if we attack like the Tigers in 2018. It must be addressed.

franklin2323

Immortal
Not sure but we won't win the premiership if we attack like the Tigers in 2018. It must be addressed.

The Tigers have an ordinary roster. So if we play like them we have big issues.

I have put up the comparison before. 2017 was 2 points behind attack wise 2014. 2018 and 2016 was in front.

We averaged 21.5 points last year. that was with our full strength spine playing 200 mins of FG together all year. A coach that like Hook has no skill in coaching a good attacking structure.

So the skill is there but it is the consistency being a threat attacking the line that needs the help

mxlegend99

Referee
Our decoy runs under Hook:

2016 - 26.2 decoy runs - 16th in NRL (6th on ladder, week 2 of finals)
2017 - 46.4 decoy runs - 4th in NRL (7th on ladder, week 2 of finals)
2018 - 49.7 decoy runs - 8th in NRL (5th on ladder, week 2 of finals)

It's a stat that really doesnt seem to have much effect on a game one way or the other. Our best season in the past 15 years was 2014. We finished 4th on ladder and made week 3 of finals. 2016 we looked morelike a team with a future then 2017.

franklin2323

Immortal
Our decoy runs under Hook:

2016 - 26.2 decoy runs - 16th in NRL (6th on ladder, week 2 of finals)
2017 - 46.4 decoy runs - 4th in NRL (7th on ladder, week 2 of finals)
2018 - 49.7 decoy runs - 8th in NRL (5th on ladder, week 2 of finals)

It's a stat that really doesnt seem to have much effect on a game one way or the other. Our best season in the past 15 years was 2014. We finished 4th on ladder and made week 3 of finals. 2016 we looked morelike a team with a future then 2017.

We still had no halves in 2016. We looked better because Moylan and Bryce tore teams up.

2017 we go into the finals with Wallace busted. Edwards stuffed knee. No Moylan. and May doing his ACL in the 2nd semi.

No Edwards or Wallace from the spine that started the year last year. Both halves got end of year ops so weren't 100%

So the spine not being stable has been the main issue. That said I still think if Whare, Blake and RCG play against Canberra in 2017 we win. Hell even Hiku being fit so Dallen can play FB or Centre and we might win.

A fit spine and then we can see what the attack can look like

betcats

Referee
We still had no halves in 2016. We looked better because Moylan and Bryce tore teams up.

2017 we go into the finals with Wallace busted. Edwards stuffed knee. No Moylan. and May doing his ACL in the 2nd semi.

No Edwards or Wallace from the spine that started the year last year. Both halves got end of year ops so weren't 100%

So the spine not being stable has been the main issue. That said I still think if Whare, Blake and RCG play against Canberra in 2017 we win. Hell even Hiku being fit so Dallen can play FB or Centre and we might win.

A fit spine and then we can see what the attack can look like

We need a year like the Sharks had in 2016 injury wise. If we can get that luck we will be in the top 3 teams.

franklin2323

Immortal
We need a year like the Sharks had in 2016 injury wise. If we can get that luck we will be in the top 3 teams.

That is what disappointed me about the timing of both the last 2 coaches sacking. We never got to see their plans play out.

Maybe Ivan still brings the kids on like hook did. Maybe with a settled team Hook gets us further. A good year with injury will show where we sit

Crashtest

Juniors
That is what disappointed me about the timing of both the last 2 coaches sacking. We never got to see their plans play out.

Maybe Ivan still brings the kids on like hook did. Maybe with a settled team Hook gets us further. A good year with injury will show where we sit

Did Hook have a plan though? Besides his run hard tackle hard game plans.

TheFrog

Coach
Yep not allowing our 7 to kick in any sort of attacking situation.....I guess thats a plan?
Soward used to be allowed to kick. In the finish it was all he was good at. Suspect the coach was looking for improvements in Nathan's kicking game before giving him his licence.

Latest posts