What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frizell

rednwhites

Juniors
Absolute inspiration. Nothing new about it I know, but his kamikaze running style just went up a notch during the finals. Talk about missed opportunities tonight, if he had just had a back following him up he would have popped a pass for a try at least once tonight. Was absolutely busted by the end of the game. I believe he has played better with Hunt in the team this year and can work off him on damaging angles, not just as a ramming rod on the edge. He will keep getting picked for NSW and Australia but selfish me wants him to be able to play completely unhindered this time of year. He strikes me as a definite premiership winning player. Just hope it can be with us.

getsmarty

Immortal
ab6q0120.jpg

REPRESENTATIVE

Why Frizell's family is supporting Tonga
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Thu 18 Oct 2018, 03:30 PM

Australian second-rower Tyson Frizell's grandfather has never travelled to watch him play but he will be among the capacity crowd at Mt Smart Stadium for Saturday night's historic Test between the Kangaroos and Mate Ma'a Tonga.

"He has come over to watch Tonga but also to support me," Frizell said. "That is how much this game has had an effect on the Tongan community."

Frizell is eligible to play for Tonga through his mother Sophia and his brother Shannon, who made his international rugby debut this year for the All Blacks after he was born and raised in the island kingdom.

However, the St George Illawarra star never considered joining the likes of Andrew Fifita and Jason Taumalolo in defecting to Tonga for last year's World Cup and wants to continue playing in the green and gold jersey for as long as he can.

"I love playing for Australia, that has always been a dream and a goal of mine, and as long as I have that opportunity I will be doing everything I can to play for Australia," Frizell said.

"It is all I ever wanted to do, but I am pretty excited to be playing against Tonga and I am expecting a lot of people to watch."

Kangaroos v Tonga preview

The 27-year-old recalled going to watch Tonga play at Campbelltown Stadium in 2006 with his family and said most relatives on the side of his mother, who is the eldest of eight siblings, would be supporting him – but not the Kangaroos.

"We've never seen a game like this," Frizell said. "I have got a lot of family who have come over to see this game, more so because Tonga are playing.

"Other than my mum, they are probably all going to go for Tonga. They will be supporting me as much as possible but in the back of their minds they are hoping Tonga win.

"It is the first time my grandfather has travelled to watch one of my big games so this is pretty huge for him. That is what rugby league does, it gets everyone involved culturally."

Frizell also has an awareness of the significance of this Test in Tonga as he and his family would travel to the Pacific nation on a regular basis during his childhood to visit Shannon, who was adopted but denied entry to Australia by immigration authorities.

The brothers would play rugby union together in village tournaments and Frizell said the success of Mate Ma'a Tonga at last year's World Cup had a huge impact.

"Games like this give kids something to aspire to. They can dream that one day they will get to pull on the red jersey," he said.

"Growing up I spent a lot of my holidays in Tonga, especially with Shannon being over there, and I know how hard it is to come from the islands and be able to play NRL or Super Rugby. That is why I am so proud of him. He has exceeded all expectations, probably even his own.

"I am very proud of my Tongan heritage, and I like what the boys are doing by playing for Tonga and helping to put Tonga on the map."

aus-train-181017_101.jpg

Kangaroos forward Tyson Frizell. :copyright:Shane Wenzlick/NRL Photos
Frizell concedes Australian supporters will be massively outnumbered on Saturday night and is looking forward to the atmosphere after watching Tonga's World Cup games in New Zealand last year.

However, he insisted the Australian players are just as passionate about the international game as their Tongan rivals and they are determined to put in a good performance after last Saturday's 26-24 defeat by New Zealand.

"I wouldn't say they are more passionate about the jersey, because I am very passionate about the Australian jersey," he said. "They definitely have a passionate fan base but that is Tonga in any sport and when they are doing well everyone is going to back them.

"We will probably have about 500 supporters and everyone else will be going for Tonga. I would say half of Tonga will be here. It is a small island and because of that it is not too often you see the country do well in sport.

"I am so happy for what they have done because of my background – as a fan and also being of Tongan heritage. It should be really exciting."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/10/18/why-frizells-family-is-supporting-tonga/

Gm5

Juniors
f**ksake saw this thread and thought he'd injured himself at training. Nearly had a heart attack :joy:

denis preston

First Grade
Absolute inspiration. Nothing new about it I know, but his kamikaze running style just went up a notch during the finals. Talk about missed opportunities tonight, if he had just had a back following him up he would have popped a pass for a try at least once tonight. Was absolutely busted by the end of the game. I believe he has played better with Hunt in the team this year and can work off him on damaging angles, not just as a ramming rod on the edge. He will keep getting picked for NSW and Australia but selfish me wants him to be able to play completely unhindered this time of year. He strikes me as a definite premiership winning player. Just hope it can be with us.

Running on to the ball but stepping back into the defense was puzzling. Would have thought the coaches would have been on to that. He is big and fast so a great pass from Hunt.Norman or Widdorp surely would get him outside his man ? Perhaps he can only hold the ball & fend off on one side only ? Great player though.

possm

Coach
Running on to the ball but stepping back into the defense was puzzling. Would have thought the coaches would have been on to that. He is big and fast so a great pass from Hunt.Norman or Widdorp surely would get him outside his man ? Perhaps he can only hold the ball & fend off on one side only ? Great player though.

I'd say Mary's only plan was to dominate the middle forwards of the opposition and everything else would flow from there. Frizell running back into the middle at big props and hookers along with our middle forwards running up field in behind the markers would do a similar job. That's our 'power play plan'.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Another player killed by Mary ..
Here we have an absolute weapon in attack.. Big/Strong/Fast.

But compare Friz on the right to Tariq on the left and you see some issues.

Linebreaks - Tariq 13, Friz 5
Tries - Tariq 10, Friz 5 (most off kicks)
Per game Tariq has him for tackle breaks also but that is symptomatic of who Tariq runs at.

There is something really off with the lines that Friz runs and that is all on Mary.

Friz should be right up there with line breaks and tries from running but simply isnt and the way he runs means that our entire right edge loses so much potency. Opposition edge players should be absolutely shitting themselves at the sight of Friz barrelling down on them but instead he is dealt with by Props/Hookers up the middle.

Whilst this assists with the power game up the guts it limits the effectiveness of Hunt and our right centre/wing.

If anything - if JDB were to be stood down there is such an immediate and obvious benefit to the attacking structures on the right. Frizz into 13 where he essentially plays, Tariq on the right edge and someone like Luc on the left who can be just as damaging as Tariq and like Sims he is an edge who knows how to run correct lines.

Frizz is a great player who could be exceptionally great.

Mary is an idiot..

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade

Per game Tariq has him for tackle breaks also but that is symptomatic of who Tariq runs at.

There is something really off with the lines that Friz runs and that is all on Mary.

Friz should be right up there with line breaks and tries from running but simply isnt and the way he runs means that our entire right edge loses so much potency. Opposition edge players should be absolutely shitting themselves at the sight of Friz barrelling down on them but instead he is dealt with by Props/Hookers up the middle.

Whilst this assists with the power game up the guts it limits the effectiveness of Hunt and our right centre/wing.

If anything - if JDB were to be stood down there is such an immediate and obvious benefit to the attacking structures on the right. Frizz into 13 where he essentially plays, Tariq on the right edge and someone like Luc on the left who can be just as damaging as Tariq and like Sims he is an edge who knows how to run correct lines.

Mary is an idiot..
As I said watch him in a Blues jumper...straighter line running, just someone got to put him to part hole will do. He will do the rest with a good timed pass of someones shoulder or have a little bloke running off him when he gets through the line
Nth Qld make the same mistake with Taumalolo. He still does some damage but also plays too much in the middle running one out.

RufusRex

Post Whore
As I said watch him in a Blues jumper...straighter line running, just someone got to put him to part hole will do. He will do the rest with a good timed pass of someones shoulder or have a little bloke running off him when he gets through the line
Nth Qld make the same mistake with Taumalolo. He still does some damage but also plays too much in the middle running one out.

At least NQld play JT in the 13 meaning they can actually have an edge on the edge.

If you want an example of how ineffective Frizz is look at this video specifically the footage at 3:40 where Tariq playing right edge holds his line outside hunt. Tyson just doesn't score these tries for us.

https://www.nrl.com/tv/news/match-highlights-roosters-v-dragons---round-20-2018-637133/

Curiously this hightlights package shows off a number of other things
1. Aitken's "defence"
2. Leilua's skill
3. Widdop's kick first mentality when other options are available
4. Dufty's positional play

PS - this is what an edge forward can do:
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/18/the-best-of-tariq-sims-2018-season/

possm

Coach

Mary is an idiot..
I agree. What we are missing is a lock willing to run straight and hard rather than just stepping forward looking to pass. Frizell would be the only player capable of improving the performance of our lock position.

However, is Leilua ready to step-up again this season and smash opposition inside backs and edge forwards?

BLM01

First Grade
At least NQld play JT in the 13 meaning they can actually have an edge on the edge.

If you want an example of how ineffective Frizz is look at this video specifically the footage at 3:40 where Tariq playing right edge holds his line outside hunt. Tyson just doesn't score these tries for us.

https://www.nrl.com/tv/news/match-highlights-roosters-v-dragons---round-20-2018-637133/

Curiously this hightlights package shows off a number of other things
1. Aitken's "defence"
2. Leilua's skill
3. Widdop's kick first mentality when other options are available
4. Dufty's positional play

PS - this is what an edge forward can do:
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/18/the-best-of-tariq-sims-2018-season/
All fair points.
That was 1 poor performance which they did not even improve on for weeks later.
Someone tell AItken drop your shoulder and drive in an up under Mitchell's fend might help instead of running sideways trying to grab him up high.
Poor Flo
I still luv Widdop as a player but yes at times (which he did stop early last year) tended to be kick happy when going to the line as an attacking play.
Dufty needs to learn if the coaching staff have eyes that when you think a play is covered by others you still might be needed as was the case in this game.

grouch

First Grade
Taumalolo is one of the best players in the world, sure he could cut loose and probably score more tries on the edge but the Cowboys get more value out of him at lock. He's the thrust for the whole team - his power creates the momentum in their sets and dragging in defenders creates the opportunities for those edge runners. Not a mistake - they won a comp with him there!

BLM01

First Grade
Taumalolo is one of the best players in the world, sure he could cut loose and probably score more tries on the edge but the Cowboys get more value out of him at lock. He's the thrust for the whole team - his power creates the momentum in their sets and dragging in defenders creates the opportunities for those edge runners. Not a mistake - they won a comp with him there!
Disagree partly.....won a comp 2015. Teams are ready for him as much can be
My comments relate to last year.
Cowboys relying on him too much now and he is doing it on his own and playing like a prop..not a lock. Then they have to give him nearly 30 minutes off the field either side of half time because he is too exhausted.
Did not have the same impact last year than 2017 and prior.

SBD82

Coach
Disagree partly.....won a comp 2015. Teams are ready for him as much can be
My comments relate to last year.
Cowboys relying on him too much now and he is doing it on his own and playing like a prop..not a lock. Then they have to give him nearly 30 minutes off the field either side of half time because he is too exhausted.
Did not have the same impact last year than 2017 and prior.
He did have the same impact once Scott and McLean returned.

When green was interchanging those 3 back into the game at the 60 minute mark late in the season their impact was devastating.