What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG hunters

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The quick solution to this is like what the NRL clubs do with talented schoolboys from New Zealand who are identified at an early age of say 13-15 years old and brought over to Australia on scholarships.

Long term solution however is to get young kumuls aged from say 16-20 years old playing in the Queensland cup youth leagues either for the hunters or for Australian based Queensland cup sides.

One solution might even be partnering with a few sports high schools and the Australian governments international development fund...

Get schools to open places for Islander/PNG kids on RL scholarship, get the Aus Gov to pay for it as way of improving the Islander communities (if these kids are successful, they will probably want to give back to their home however they can)

Perth Red

Post Whore
One solution might even be partnering with a few sports high schools and the Australian governments international development fund...

Get schools to open places for Islander/PNG kids on RL scholarship, get the Aus Gov to pay for it as way of improving the Islander communities (if these kids are successful, they will probably want to give back to their home however they can)

Nailed it, USA colleges do this sort of thing all time. Nrl should be lobbying for it for png and other poorer island nations.

Tommyturbo

Juniors
There should be more in nrl. Gary lo somewhat superstar from world cup only playing french elite did spend some time at castleford last season.​

mikail-eagle

Bench
Just thought I'd mention that a few other former Hunters players will be playing in French Elite 1 this year.

1. Gary Lo (Wing) was with Castleford early year but returned home after some indiscretion. Was with the Hunters for the first 2 seasons. He is joining Carcassonne

2. David Loko (2ndrow) - Premiership winning 2nd rower with the Hunters in 2017. Spent last year playing in the Ipswich Competition in Brisbane with the Fassifern Bombers. He is joining Limoux

Henry Wan Noki (Prop) - Was stood down from the Hunters in mid 2017. He got into some trouble in Sydney following the Kumuls Pacific Test win over Fiji that year . He is also joining Limoux

4. Nickson Borona (2ndrow) - Had 2 seasons with the Hunters in 2015 & 2016. Joined Villeneuve last year and will be there again this year.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
All 3 of barra’s Kumuls played in the friendly against Wigan yesterday in absolutely horrendous conditions of strong winds and driving heavy rain which made the pitch resemble something out of WW1.

Coastbloke

Bench
Just thought I'd mention that a few other former Hunters players will be playing in French Elite 1 this year.

1. Gary Lo (Wing) was with Castleford early year but returned home after some indiscretion. Was with the Hunters for the first 2 seasons. He is joining Carcassonne

2. David Loko (2ndrow) - Premiership winning 2nd rower with the Hunters in 2017. Spent last year playing in the Ipswich Competition in Brisbane with the Fassifern Bombers. He is joining Limoux

Henry Wan Noki (Prop) - Was stood down from the Hunters in mid 2017. He got into some trouble in Sydney following the Kumuls Pacific Test win over Fiji that year . He is also joining Limoux

4. Nickson Borona (2ndrow) - Had 2 seasons with the Hunters in 2015 & 2016. Joined Villeneuve last year and will be there again this year.

I've always liked the idea of more PI players in the Elite 1 on the proviso that the Comp stepped up to a fully professional 12 team competition.

There'a stack of Fijians in the the Top14 RU comp. The PI players would probably enjoy the South of France more than England's North as well lol

Walter sobchak

First Grade

Any news on kuni minga??

Pommy

Coach
I've always liked the idea of more PI players in the Elite 1 on the proviso that the Comp stepped up to a fully professional 12 team competition.

There'a stack of Fijians in the the Top14 RU comp. The PI players would probably enjoy the South of France more than England's North as well lol

Don’t be ridiculous it’s full of French.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Was probably bound to happen since Wayne Bennett was the one behind it.

https://www.radionz.co.nz/internati...bane-broncos-cancel-trial-game-vs-png-hunters

Brisbane Broncos cancel trial game vs PNG Hunters

Next month's pre-season trial match between the Papua New Guinea Hunters and Brisbane Broncos rugby league teams in Port Moresby has been cancelled.

Papua New Guinea Rugby Football League CEO Reatau Rau said the Broncos management and new coach Anthony Seibold cancelled the trial match last weekend.

"The 'trial' was former coach Wayne Bennett's plans," Rau said.

"However, when new coach Anthony Seibold took the reins last December he and his staff and management had their priorities and the trial match against the SP Hunters was not one of them".

Rau said initially it was suggested that a Broncos development squad would come to Port Moresby to take on the Hunters but "last weekend they decided that no Broncos team would travel up".

He said it was disappointing news but "we respect that decision and the trial match against the Brisbane Broncos scheduled for February 23, 2019 in Port Moresby is now officially cancelled".

The Broncos beat the Hunters 26-12 in the inaugural match between the National Rugby League and Intrust Super Cup teams last February.

The Hunters will now go into the new season without any pre-season matches under their belts.

"We can't do much about it," said head coach Michael Marum.

"Other Intrust Super Cup clubs offered to host a trial in Brisbane but the logistics and costs involved to arrange this at this stage is enormous. Therefore we will not have a trial match but prepare as well as we can for the first game on March 10."

The PNG Hunters open their 2019 campaign away to Tweed Heads Seagulls in Brisbane on 10 March.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Final Squad announced today.
The first 15 are all continuing players. No 16 to 31 are all new with where/which clubs they are coming from.

1. Adex Wera
2. Baundo Aba
3. Butler Morris
4. Charlie Simon
5. Dilbert Issac
6. Enoch Maki
7. Ila Alu
8. Junior Rau
9. McKenzie Yei
10. Moses Meninga
11. Patrick Morea
12. Stanton Albert
13. Wawa Paul
14. William Mone
15. Epel Kapinias - Rabaul Gurals
16. Gairo Kapana - Rabaul Gurias
17. Kevin Appo - Port Moresby Vipers
18. Daniel Tapol - Hela Wigmen
19. Jerry Teme - Hela Wigmen
20. Joe Frank - Waghi Tumbe
21. Joe Joshua - Lae Tigers
22. Junior Rop - Lae Tigers
23. Brendon Nima - Goroka Lahanis
24. Nick Hasu - Goroka Lahanis
25. Shane Haro - Port Moresby Vipers
26. Woods Kawage - Enga Mioks
27. Kaupa Rex - Southern Confederate
28. Justin Yoka - Highlands Confederate
29. Jordan Pat - Highlands Confederate
30. Jack Oii - Port Moresby Rugby League
31. Bland Abavu - Fassifern Bombers, Ipswich

mikail-eagle

Bench
The National Newspaper in PNG has been putting up a few articles about the new faces at the Hunters. I will be posting some of those stories on here.

I will start off with Epel Kapinias.
21 year old forward from the Agmark Rabaul Gurias.

https://www.thenational.com.pg/epel-not-taking-size-for-granted/

Epel not taking size for granted

By JACK AMI

THE SP PNG Hunters’ search for size could be answered by the inclusion of Epel Kapinias.
The East New Briton, who is a 186cm tall and weighs 102kg, made coach Michael Marum’s initial 60-man squad in the off-season and is now one selection away from making the final 25 for the 2019 Intrust Super Cup.
But unlike some other big men who have made Marum’s squads over the years, Kapinias seems a keeper with the humble 21-year-old taking nothing for granted, least of all his physical attributes.
Being a product of the East New Britain rugby league scene as well as a member of the iconic Agmark Gurias Kapinias banks on his dedication to training and trying to master the skills needed to move to the next level of rugby league.
Kapinias said he was surprised when called up to the off-season training camp after playing only six matches in the Digicel Cup competition last year.
Kapinias echoed what other rookies have said regarding the Hunters system.
“Hunters training is very intense and quiet a lot different from the Gurias and training twice a day is a very tiring experience but you have to really get prepared to be doing it over and over and do it right,” he said.
“As one of the new players, we are all going through the transition which is hard and challenging but I think its building our confidence and we are all getting better.”
Kapinias said 11 weeks of training he had come to appreciate what the Hunters stood for and added that the senior players had been helpful while Marum and his staff had been pushing them to reach new heights which he was grateful for.

Epel-Kapinias-.jpg

mikail-eagle

Bench
Next up is Gairo Kapana
Rugby Union 7's player who converted to the Agmark Gurias last year.

https://www.thenational.com.pg/kapana-eager-to-make-cut/

Kapana eager to make cut

By BENJAMIN KOITAKA

PAPUA New Guinea Hunters training squad member Gairo Kapana says he is determined to put in the extra work to make the final cut at the end of the month.

Hunters coach Michael Marum has trimmed his 60-man squad to 32, with a few more to released as they continue preparations ahead of their Queensland Intrust Super Cup opener on March 9.

Kapana’s switch from rugby to rugby league is seen as an important decision to further his sporting career.

He played with the Pukpuks for three years and toured countries such as Fiji, Australia and Hong Kong.
“I only played two games for the Agmark Gurias in the Digicel Cup last year after switching codes but the coach has seen a lot of potential in me,” Kapana said.
“I want to be in be in the final squad.
“I learnt a lot with the Gurias after making the switch.”
Kapana said rugby league was tougher than his former sport.
“My aim is to make the final squad,” he said.
“I want to be one of the first players from Aroma to be included in the final squad.
“My favourite position is on the right wing.
“I’m really putting in a lot of work during pre-season training.
“If I get into the final squad, I will show what I can offer.
“I want to thank the people back at Aroma and my family for their support.
“I played for three years with the Pukpuks sevens side from 2016.
“I toured Fiji, Sydney, Hong Kong.
“I also competed at the Commonwealth Games last year.”

Kapana.jpg

mikail-eagle

Bench
Meet Jack Oii

Oii, from nowhere into the Hunters

By JACK AMI
LEARNING his trade on the hard and uncompromising surface of Ipi Park, Hohola, to being part of the country’s national club, the SP PNBG Hunters, the rise of Jack Oii has been practically overnight.
The 21-year-old was playing in the Hohola off-season competition this time last year and was a Magani first grader in the Port Moresby Rugby League.
But Hunters coach Michael Marum has an eye for talent and knew who to get when he was forced to let several backs go from his initial 60-man pre-season squad.
Oii came on Marum’s radar after his efforts in helping Magani win their first premiership in 40 years last season.
Oii may not have any Digicel Cup or even Confederation experience but Marum, who has turned talented youngsters into stars (Israel Eliab, Edene Gabbie and Garry Lo come to mind) chose to keep the Kukipi, Gulf man in his 31-man squad sees something in the three-quarter that he will most use this season.
Oii’s involvement in off-season competitions however has ended with Marum instructing the 183cm, 83kg centre to focus on staying injury free and getting fitter, stronger, bigger and better for the Q-Cup.
“I wasn’t expecting to get in after the 60-man squad was already picked but they thought I was good enough so here I am. I am just happy to be here and I’m learning and enjoying the experience.” Oii said.
“This is the biggest thing that has happened to me (making the Hunters) and I’m thankful to the Hunters.”
Oii is the grandson of former Magani great John Mora, who played in the pre-Independence days Papuan Rugby League.
Oii got his chance in senior grade playing under coach Chris Enara at the Tox Mix Dogs in the Hohola off-season league. His only representative touches have come at junior level – Moresby North West U14s (2014) and U18s (2016).
Oii said the biggest lesson he had learned from Hunters training so far was to “get the basics right”.
“All these weeks of training and learning the Hunters system has been really good,” he said.
“Our seniors like Adex Wera, Enoch Maki and Stanton Albert have supported us throughout especially when coach Michael has been tough on us.”

Hunters-2.jpg

Latest posts