What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

hindy111

Post Whore
What about the kids who are a little worried but their friends say nah we can get them tested so it sways them from NO to yes.
As a teen I experimented with many drugs. Once under influence you do not think the same. So the one pill you wanted to take that makes you feel so good may end up 4 or 5. And your always wanting too feel as good or better then the last time.

Gronk

Staff member
Your an idiot. You are clueless on the subject.

giphy.gif

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Pill testing has its pros and cons. As does all band-aid solutions.

If you are serious about reducing the risks posed by illegal drugs then you need to address the root cause of the problem.

A conversation about the pros and cons of pill testing is a clear case of pissing in the margins...you are all just fiddling in the wind!

Bazal

Post Whore

If you are serious about reducing the risks posed by illegal drugs then you need to address the root cause of the problem.

A conversation about the pros and cons of pill testing is a clear case of pissing in the margins...you are all just fiddling in the wind!

Honestly this thread has discovered a bigger issue, and that is the fact that it is apparently still legal to post Seinfeld gifs on the internet...

Surely we should have executed anyone who did so by now in a just society?

Happy MEel

First Grade

The most sensible comment on here about the topic. I find it interesting that people are so staunchly divided on this issue when it’s not really going to be the answer to or the cause of the drug related problems we have at these festivals.

Gronk

Staff member
The most sensible comment on here about the topic. I find it interesting that people are so staunchly divided on this issue when it’s not really going to be the answer to or the cause of the drug related problems we have at these festivals.

Ok pill testing does not pretend to be an answer or solution. It is a harm reduction strategy.

hindy111

Post Whore

Its sad. People go out to have fun and die. Of the hundreds of thousands consuming party pills it still is extremely rare for a death.
I lost a friend at 16yr old mate racing dirtbikes. A risk also involved. Sure it is not ilegal but you can see where it is going.
We can say the root of the problem is the dealers or the child? But some say its they escape from the mundane 9-5 jobs knowing theyl never afford a house etc. So is the sytem the fault?..

Who knows, I used to consume pills for the fun of it or if worked and was tired and wanted to go out with Mick it would wake me up. I never actually put any thought into it as to why I took them. Mick would just say youl feel good man and that was it.
Who else on here consumed them as a 18-25yld?

Bandwagon

Staff member
It hasn’t even proven to be that. There are just as many negatives as there are positives.

Everything has it's positives and negatives , but the claim here it hasn't proven to be effective is a nonsense. They have been doing it in Europe for some time, and the process is well developed and well researched.

As per your previous post I agree, it is a bandaid solution, however dismissing it because of that is a recipe to do nothing, because clearly there is no real appetite for any conversation around these drugs beyond the drugs = bad so criminalisation = good, type shit that we have had for ever.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
It hasn’t even proven to be that. There are just as many negatives as there are positives.

First, pill testing has been shown to change the black market. Products identified as particularly dangerous that subsequently became the subject of warning campaigns were found to leave the market.

Research also shows the ingredients of tested pills started to correspond to the expected components over time. This suggests pill testing might be able to change the black market in positive ways.

Third, pill testing changes behaviour: research from Austria shows 50% of those who had their drugs tested said the results affected their consumption choices. Two-thirds said they wouldn’t consume the drug and would warn friends in cases of negative results.

Visits to pill-testing booths create an important opportunity for providing support and information over and above the testing itself. They enable drug services to contact a population that is otherwise difficult to reach because these people are not experiencing acute drug problems. Indeed, the intervention has been used to establish contact and as the basis for follow-up work with members of not-yet-problematic, but nevertheless high-risk, groups of recreational drug users.

Finally, pill testing means we can capture long-term data about the actual substances present in the drug scene. And it creates the potential for an early warning system beyond immediate users. This is becoming all the more important as new psychoactive substances that may be used as adulterants are appearing more frequently.

https://ndarc.med.unsw.edu.au/node/301000974

hindy111

Post Whore
If they pill test is it only at festivals?
And certain festivals?Must it be a certain size?
Will they set up at the Tamworth music festival for example?
People are popping disco biscuits at raves,parties,clubs on a weekly basis. Targeting festivals only fixes what amount of drug takers if it does work?

Gronk

Staff member
If they pill test is it only at festivals?
And certain festivals?Must it be a certain size?
Will they set up at the Tamworth music festival for example?
People are popping disco biscuits at raves,parties,clubs on a weekly basis. Targeting festivals only fixes what amount of drug takers if it does work?

Your arguments align with the gun lobby when they say that cars kill,so might as well ban cars.

I am flabbergasted that you are trying to argue the case against pill testing. If it doesn’t cost you any money (promoters will pay) and saves just one life - isn’t that just fantastic?