What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20 year anniversary for the joint venture

DragonJ

Juniors
1. Boyd (I don't like him either but give credit where due. He was great for us.)
2. B. Morris
3. Gaz
4. Cooper
5. Nightingale
6. Mundine
7. Ben Hunt (I want to say Hornby but as a halfback, Ben Hunt is surely much better.)
8. Bailey
9. Brown
10. Weyman
11. Frizz
12. Creagh
13. DeBelin

14. Young
15. Vaughan
16. Smith (the Kiwi second rower from Melbourne, not the prop though it was hard to leave the prop out)
17. Hornby

I'm probably forgetting some.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
  1. Boyd
  2. Morris
  3. Gasnier
  4. Cooper
  5. Nightingale
  6. Soward
  7. Hornby
  8. Costigan
  9. Young
  10. Weyman
  11. Scott
  12. Creagh
  13. Smith
  14. Fien
  15. Merrin
  16. Prior
  17. Saffy

I’m all about results.

383376-matt-cooper.jpg

RufusRex

Post Whore
There is a difference between best players and best careers with us ...
There are blokes whose injuries curtailed what would have been fine careers (Head immediately comes to mind) and blokes who played their best footy away from us (Priddis/Fitzgibbon)
There are blokes who benefitted from being great in a structure and guided by the best coach (Hornby the prime example) and blokes who if coached by Bennett early in their career would have been even better than their careers showed (Ryles?)

I will go with the 17 i most enjoyed watching

1. Darius Boyd
2. Nathan Blacklock
3. Mark Gasnier
4. Matt Cooper
5. Brett Morris
6. Anthony Mundine
7. Matt Head
8. Jason Ryles
9. Nathan Brown
10. Craig Smith
11. Ben Creagh
12. Tariq Sims
13. Brad Mackay

14. Wayne Bartrim
15. Beau Scott
16. Michael Weyman
17. Tyson Frizell

DragonJ

Juniors
There is a difference between best players and best careers with us ...
There are blokes whose injuries curtailed what would have been fine careers (Head immediately comes to mind) and blokes who played their best footy away from us (Priddis/Fitzgibbon)
There are blokes who benefitted from being great in a structure and guided by the best coach (Hornby the prime example) and blokes who if coached by Bennett early in their career would have been even better than their careers showed (Ryles?)

I will go with the 17 i most enjoyed watching

1. Darius Boyd
2. Nathan Blacklock
3. Mark Gasnier
4. Matt Cooper
5. Brett Morris
6. Anthony Mundine
7. Matt Head
8. Jason Ryles
9. Nathan Brown
10. Craig Smith
11. Ben Creagh
12. Tariq Sims
13. Brad Mackay

14. Wayne Bartrim
15. Beau Scott
16. Michael Weyman
17. Tyson Frizell
Good team. I gave Ryles a lot of thought but in the end, for me he was just behind Weyman, Vaughan and Craig Smith. But having said that, he was a mile behind Luke Bailey who you have inexplicably left out.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Good team. I gave Ryles a lot of thought but in the end, for me he was just behind Weyman, Vaughan and Craig Smith. But having said that, he was a mile behind Luke Bailey who you have inexplicably left out.

It is role based almost ... Bailey and Weyman compete for the same spot to me .. but weyman did it better.
I always rated Ryles over Bailey ... Bailey had the better discipline but Ryles was so much better in running/defence ... Bailey was just really good (exceptional) vanilla to me.

BLM01

First Grade
My favourites from 1999 (some we should of kept)

1. Ben Hornby (could put Darius)
2. Nathan Blacklock
3. Mark Coyne
4. Matt Cooper
5. Brett Morris
6. Anthony Mundine
7. Hunt (could put Hornby here)
8. Bull Bailey
9. Brownie for his mouse trap play and pass into Thompson's head
10. Horse Weyman
11. Frizzell
12. Craig Fitzgibbon
13. Brad Mackay

14. Lance Thompson
15. Beau Scott
16. Jeremy Smith
17. Not a bench player but Widdop
18th Man.. Flo
19th Man - Gaz
Coach - McGregor...joking!...Benny hands down

grouch

First Grade
There are blokes who benefitted from being great in a structure and guided by the best coach (Hornby the prime example)
Gotta love a Rufus backhanded compliment for Hornby. Never mind that Hornby earnt rep honours at all levels prior to Bennett even joining the club.

On talent alone I would put him above Ben Hunt, then throw on top of that the fact that he is the most-capped player in St George history, was the club captain when we broke the drought, and in that game produced the exact opposite of a Ben Hunt grand final moment, and it's a no-brainer. Hornby should have the number 7 and the (c) in this 20 year team!

NRL+Grand+Final+Dragons+v+Roosters+XlW4I06STwol.jpg

Anyway yeah my team would look a lot like muzby's, perhaps with room made for Blacklock, Timmins, Mundine and Frizzell.

giboz71

First Grade
My team;

Hornby
Morris
Gasnier
Cooper
Nightingale
Barrett
Head
Ryles
Young
Bailey
Creagh
Thompson
Timmins

Not necessarily the best team, but a team that all graduated from the St George or Illawarra junior systems.

Funnily enough, it’s pretty much the 2005 team except the wingers (swap Morris and Nighty with Best and Wes).

That’s the team I wanted most to go all the way, no team will ever have that proportion of juniors win the comp.

71saintsimon

Juniors
1ben Hornby. 2brett Morris 3mark gasnier 4matt copper 5 Nathan blackock. 6 Anthony Mundine 7 Trent Barrett 8 Luke Bailey 9 dean young. 10 Paul Vaughn 11 Ben creagh 12 beau Scott 13 Tyson frizzel. 14 tariq sims 15 Jeremy Smith 16 Neville costigan. 17 micheal Waymen Coach Wayne Bennett or David Waite , Water boy Nathan brown. Ball boy Steven price Reserve water boy Paul McGregor

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Your a hard man putting Ryles ahead of Craig Smith, even Weyman.

To me, Ryles costs us more games than won us.
Smith was a great captain and gave his all and Wyman was peaking with us.
Bailey was an excellent player for us as well.

I was trying to think who the player was that, 'had a head like a smacked A-hole' .............. and the name, Darren Tracey came to me. Every opposition player hated him but l liked his mongrel style.

Anyway, to each their own.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
1ben Hornby. 2brett Morris 3mark gasnier 4matt copper 5 Nathan blackock. 6 Anthony Mundine 7 Trent Barrett 8 Luke Bailey 9 dean young. 10 Paul Vaughn 11 Ben creagh 12 beau Scott 13 Tyson frizzel. 14 tariq sims 15 Jeremy Smith 16 Neville costigan. 17 micheal Waymen Coach Wayne Bennett or David Waite , Water boy Nathan brown. Ball boy Steven price Reserve water boy Paul McGregor

You win!
...... Reserve waterboy takes the cake.

Darius Boyd
Brett Morris
Mark Gasnier
Matt Cooper
Nathan Blacklock
Anthony Mundine
Ben Hornby
Tyson Frizell
Lance Thompson
Tariq Sims