What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tiger05

First Grade
I think we really stuffed this one up. Pascoe shouldn't have considered that deal.

In stating that I can't criticise him or the Tigers too much. I definitely can't criticise Go for her comments. We haven't done anything that other clubs don't do all the time but it was done at the wrong time. The punishment should be reduced significantly.

Front-Rower

First Grade
I think we really stuffed this one up.

We did in the fact we signed Farah to play. I still believe this is the main cause of all the angst. If any other club such as *cough* the Roosters did this with one of their so called better players and got away with it, everyone here would be up in arms.

Tiger05

First Grade
We did in the fact we signed Farah to play. I still believe this is the main cause of all the angst. If any other club such as *cough* the Roosters did this with one of their so called better players and got away with it, everyone here would be up in arms.

I don't see the re-signing as being an issue but maybe that has caused the reaction. He is probably being paid fairly now whereas in the past he was overpaid.

gordsy

Juniors
From memory his salary wasn't that much it's just the way we split it that wasn't great
ie three mill contract over 4 years.
We paid him 800k in the first two years then 2.2 in the final two years. It's still 3 mill over 4 years. So he's getting the same amount of cash it's just the way the contract is split makes it look bad when it really isn't.

Front-Rower

First Grade
I don't see the re-signing as being an issue but maybe that has caused the reaction. He is probably being paid fairly now whereas in the past he was overpaid.

Take the Tigers glasses off for a minute. Farah was moved on with the the promise of a cushy gig when he decided to retire. 2 years later he is signed again on a low value playing contract, with the promise of a job still on the offer.

I side with Pascoe that it was probably a huge balls up and oversight, but from the outside in, it looks dodgy as f***

macnaz

Staff member
Gordsy.. its my understanding the ambassador role had absolutely zero to do with his contract at the time.
Yes he was on a very large back ended deal but that was paid out fully when he went to Souths.
As far as re signing him causing a problem thats a possibility but that was 6 months before all the NRL outcome .. why would it take that long to act if it was such major dramma .

Das Hassler

Bench
If nothing was signed ( nothing was)...nothing agreed to ( nothing was according to all parties involved) and nothing was acted on then what crime has been commited?....and that's NOT being naive. ...seeing as Johnny Morris had a gig at the Sharks straight after he hung the boots up should his final year contract money be investigated as well?

macnaz

Staff member
They probably didnt make it public or had an actual contract on paper floating around as we suppose to have.

gordsy

Juniors
Gordsy.. its my understanding the ambassador role had absolutely zero to do with his contract at the time.
Yes he was on a very large back ended deal but that was paid out fully when he went to Souths.
As far as re signing him causing a problem that's a possibility but that was 6 months before all the NRL outcome .. why would it take that long to act if it was such major drama .
My post was in reference to people saying Robbie was over paid. You can make a case that he was or he wasn't. The silly thing is you pay a bloke 750 k over 4 years , people are fine with that.
If you pay the same bloke 400k for the first two years and then 1.1 mill for two years, it's a bit rich to call him over paid. Over the length of the deal it's the same amount just a different way of paying the contract.

Lets be honest every knows there are untold wrorts going on in the NRL,the WT are like an old mate that got caught scanning his avocado as a brown onion in Woolies compared to clubs like the Broncos,Storm and Rorters that are ruthless like banks and think they are untouchable.

Tiger05

First Grade
Take the Tigers glasses off for a minute. Farah was moved on with the the promise of a cushy gig when he decided to retire. 2 years later he is signed again on a low value playing contract, with the promise of a job still on the offer.

I side with Pascoe that it was probably a huge balls up and oversight, but from the outside in, it looks dodgy as f***

I don't see the re-signing as a problem. It's the post career contract that was used to sweeten the deal to get him out of the club that is the issue.

If it is a breach which I think it technically is the breach occurred when JT was here.

Tiger05

First Grade
My post was in reference to people saying Robbie was over paid. You can make a case that he was or he wasn't. The silly thing is you pay a bloke 750 k over 4 years , people are fine with that.
If you pay the same bloke 400k for the first two years and then 1.1 mill for two years, it's a bit rich to call him over paid. Over the length of the deal it's the same amount just a different way of paying the contract.

Robbie being overpaid screwed this club over. He hasn't been a top level player for years and he was being paid as a marquee star. We did the same thing with Woods.

super_coach

First Grade
The Tigers May have stuffed up but it was not premeditated, there was no back lane meetings, no email trail, no brown paper bags, no relatives on the payroll at the leagues club and most importantly they gained no advantage. Greenberg and his commission make it out to be a massive and we planned attemp to rort the system.

As I have said before, they make the laws, than police the laws and than make judgement on the laws. You would probably have more chance in China getting a fair hearing.

Everyday this drags on for the more disadvantaged the Tigers are

gordsy

Juniors
The Tigers May have stuffed up but it was not premeditated, there was no back lane meetings, no email trail, no brown paper bags, no relatives on the payroll at the leagues club and most importantly they gained no advantage. Greenberg and his commission make it out to be a massive and we planned attemp to rort the system.

As I have said before, they make the laws, than police the laws and than make judgement on the laws. You would probably have more chance in China getting a fair hearing.

Everyday this drags on for the more disadvantaged the Tigers are

The point is this if Robbie takes up the deal next year it's very easy to argue that he signed for less this year because of the after footy deal. We farked up no doubt but totally agreed it's not that bad on the scale of things. Hopefully we show some sack and take the nrl on re this and don't just bent over and allow Todd to go in raw.

gordsy

Juniors
Robbie being overpaid screwed this club over. He hasn't been a top level player for years and he was being paid as a marquee star. We did the same thing with Woods.
True but we didn't have to say yes to those deals. We need to learn to use the media better to keep players in line or do what we want.

simmo05

Bench
I was always of the belief that there had to be signatures on a contract. The fact that it was offered shouldnt mean jack. If i offer smith cronk and slater a 1m contract, and they dont accept, does that mean i should be over the cap by 3m because of it? I wonder who the mutt was that leaked all this anyway? Cant imagine farrah wanting to f**k up a cream gig

Tiger05

First Grade
True but we didn't have to say yes to those deals. We need to learn to use the media better to keep players in line or do what we want.

I agree that we have to manage our cap well. We can't keep paying guys top dollar when they aren't performing. If they want to leave they should go.

The NRL really need to have a good look at themselves,they virtually now have to look at every player that has taken a position with their former club after playing,only an idiot would believe the WT invented this proposal.

gordsy

Juniors
The NRL really need to have a good look at themselves,they virtually now have to look at every player that has taken a position with their former club after playing,only an idiot would believe the WT invented this proposal.
Maybe most of them retire and then get that gig instead of announcing it whilst playing ?
But we all know most of the salary caps breaches are because someone told the Nrl not the nrl finding out of their own.

Tiger05

First Grade

This is the big issue isn't it. Any job post career at the club you played at is a potential scam. I don't understand how they can police this.

Latest posts