What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Channel 9 the home of rugby league?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Good observation. It's things like this that rugby league is not being afforded. This is despite rugby league delivering top ratings in the tv world! It's strange a women's AFL show can be screened on FTA yet an international World nines has no such coverage!? It's ridiculous.

The AFLW are not on FTA for the ratings, they are there for political point scoring.

Stallion

First Grade
The AFLW are not on FTA for the ratings, they are there for political point scoring.

Well let's get some political point scoring happening for our female rugby league players. The comparative free to air coverage womens AFL gets would embarass the coverage afforded to women's rugby league. Something wrong there!

Last edited:

hutch

First Grade
Well let's get some political point scoring happening for our female rugby league players. The comparative free to air coverage womens AFL gets would embarass the coverage afforded to women's rugby league. Something wrong there!

Especially considering the standard of the wnrl was quite high due to the fact that these girls had played rugby league, touch or rugby union most of the lives. Aflw is a terrible spectacle.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Have you been paying attention? No matter what RL does it is wrong in the media. Women's RL won't get anywhere near the saloon passage that AFLW gets. I wish this wasn't the case but it is.

T-Boon

Coach
Have you been paying attention? No matter what RL does it is wrong in the media. Women's RL won't get anywhere near the saloon passage that AFLW gets. I wish this wasn't the case but it is.

I think you are right here but I also think it is victim mentality to a degree. The NRL makes the bed it lyes in. Need to work a lot harder and smarter to get political influence but it also costs money all of which the NRL clubs want given to them the greedy useless Fs.

Stallion

First Grade
I think you are right here but I also think it is victim mentality to a degree. The NRL makes the bed it lyes in. Need to work a lot harder and smarter to get political influence but it also costs money all of which the NRL clubs want given to them the greedy useless Fs.

Think you actually agreed with the point being raised about the NRL in a roundabout way. I will state this though "Friends in high places" does have an impact no matter what some think. This is absolutely the issue for the NRL. No "friends'=no influence= no clout. I know it seems too advanced for some however it's reality.

T-Boon

Coach
I will state this though "Friends in high places" does have an impact no matter what some think. This is absolutely the issue for the NRL. No "friends'=no influence= no clout. I know it seems too advanced for some however it's reality.

Totally, thats why I am worried the NRL is going to boot Beattie to the curb stupidly.
He might not be your cup of tea but he must have some friends/clout in Qld politics.
AFL would let him go but plant him in some position of influence.

Stallion

First Grade
Totally, thats why I am worried the NRL is going to boot Beattie to the curb stupidly.
He might not be your cup of tea but he must have some friends/clout in Qld politics.
AFL would let him go but plant him in some position of influence.

Yes. Agree. It's also the right people making decisions on appropriate tv coverage . Some of the decisions/mistakes have been monumental in so far as decent and appropriate FTA coverage of rugbybleague, particularly the international fixtures. It's been farcical and reeking of poor confidence and intent for a proven tv ratings winner in the Australian Kangaroos not being afforded primetIme tv exposure on FTA over the past year. And now we are witnessing a ludicrous scenario whereby noone in tv land can see the merits and demand for a Kangaroos v LIONS test in NSW! It's so dissapointing! A decent tv exec (with RL at heart)would have demanded such a match however nothing to be seen. Embarassing.

T-Boon

Coach
A decent tv exec (with RL at heart)would have demanded such a match however nothing to be seen. Embarassing.

Unfortunately I think nine is basically run from Melbourne and the exec, whoever that is, is probably living in Melbourne and is probably a big AFL fan (and is probably paid by the AFL to stuff NRL). This is the kind of thing that should be fixed by the NRL. The NRL should find the highest ranking nine official who lives in Sydney and spoil him/her rotten try to get him appointed to CEO and laughing.

Stallion

First Grade
Unfortunately I think nine is basically run from Melbourne and the exec, whoever that is, is probably living in Melbourne and is probably a big AFL fan (and is probably paid by the AFL to stuff NRL). This is the kind of thing that should be fixed by the NRL. The NRL should find the highest ranking nine official who lives in Sydney and spoil him/her rotten try to get him appointed to CEO and laughing.

Yes. It's a dilemma for rugby league. If things were totally market related rugby league internationals featuring the Kangaroos would be a must see fixture on FTA. However this is not happening despite the Kangaroos proven tv ratings success. So dissappointing!

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
Yes. It's a dilemma for rugby league. If things were totally market related rugby league internationals featuring the Kangaroos would be a must see fixture on FTA. However this is not happening despite the Kangaroos proven tv ratings .success. So dissappointing!

Actually, scrub my earlier comment.
I just looked it up and most of the nine management team (CEO is Hugh Marks) look like they are from Sydney. Unfortunately Hugh looks like a Rugby man as he went to Scotts College. I wonder if the management team changed when Nine and Fairfax merged?
Speaking of Fairfax. Now that Nine and the SMH are one and the same maybe we should totally fade out the News Limited dominance of the Dally Ms.

Stallion

First Grade
Actually, scrub my earlier comment.
I just looked it up and most of the nine management team (CEO is Hugh Marks) look like they are from Sydney. Unfortunately Hugh looks like a Rugby man as he went to Scotts College. I wonder if the management team changed when Nine and Fairfax merged?
Speaking of Fairfax. Now that Nine and the SMH are one and the same maybe we should totally fade out the News Limited dominance of the Dally Ms.

Yes. That answers a few questions. Once again another element of not having the 'friends in high places" scenario hurting rugby-league. No doubt this elite private school educated chanel 9 executive has been doing his bit against rugby league at this tv network. The elite private school lack of presence is hurting rugby league again. Sadly it's the state of NSW that has this relentless elite private school policy of not providing rugby-league as a sports option. Thankfully this sad and unfair sporting scenario has been dented somewhat in Brisbane with one of the elite private school organizations allowing rugby league due to parental pressure guided by fairness and equity. It was always union then AFL was accepted . The parents lobbied that rugby-league should have the same status and won through! Now the QRL gladly facilitates a term 3 rugby league comp in these Brisbane elite private schools.

Last edited: