What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

super_coach

First Grade
The problem we face is the NRL have Fox, Nine and a host of hack jurnos in their back pocket who have no choice but report what they are told. So most people outside of the Tigers are lapping all the media’s rubbish up.

This needs to end up in a court of law pronto where both sides will get a fair hearing

macnaz

Staff member
I was always of the belief that there had to be signatures on a contract. The fact that it was offered shouldnt mean jack. If i offer smith cronk and slater a 1m contract, and they dont accept, does that mean i should be over the cap by 3m because of it? I wonder who the mutt was that leaked all this anyway? Cant imagine farrah wanting to f**k up a cream gig
That is a VERY valid argument.
Ok . If we were to pay Farah way under his market value for 2019 with the promise of a financial pay back in the next few years as an ambassador, you would 100% expect that a contract WOULD HAVE TO be in place AND SIGNED or else there is no way shrewd Farah and his shit bag manager would ever agree to it with the risk of Weststiger's changing their mind next year and him having no proof.. and all the more so after already being shafted by the club previously.
Im no lawyer but the NRL would be clutching at straws in a court of law given what info we have so far to go on.

Hope it happens.. if its true Madge and the club has to be congratulated for making such a good signing while we are under significant NRL induced cap and media pressure.

Every other club under supposed salary cap issues can continue making signings, why can't we?

Das Hassler

Bench
Had to post this from Brad Walter..funny stuff indeed

"No club is bigger than the game and that is why NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg won’t take into consideration the fact lewd video footage of Canterbury recruit Dylan Napa was filmed while he was playing for the Roosters."

simmo05

Bench
Geez, i thought it was bloody excellent timing that the moment big papi leaves the roosters, the videos come out. The dogs shouldnt have to cop a suspension for that. Shit nrl management 101

Vic Mackey

Referee

Don’t really rate this guy. Fell over the line 20 times last year. MWZ would have looked like a star at left wing for Souths. Apart from being tall don’t think he’s better then Nofa or Thompson. Maybe an option for left center?

simmo05

Bench
Don’t really rate this guy. Fell over the line 20 times last year. MWZ would have looked like a star at left wing for Souths. Apart from being tall don’t think he’s better then Nofa or Thompson. Maybe an option for left center?
Unfortunately coaches are obsessed with big blokes, so i reckon thompson will be on the outer. Even though he was one our best last season

Vic Mackey

Referee
Unfortunately coaches are obsessed with big blokes, so i reckon thompson will be on the outer. Even though he was one our best last season

Yeah Cozza definetly our performed Nofa, however Nofa seemed low on confidence all year. Madge likes big aggressive blokes, both those guys might be in trouble.

Tiger05

First Grade
We have some options at left centre but Jennings gives us another option there. I think Nofo and Thompson deserve first shot at the wing positions. Nofo has performed consistently well for us and Thompson was one of our best last season.

gordsy

Juniors
Thompson over Nfo every day of the week for me. Thompson is guy who gives you 100% every play every game. Nofo is a tampon player.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Nofa's advantage over Thompson is his post-contact meters and ability to break a tackle. Having wingers that can do this to start off our sets from inside our 20 are extremely valuable and unfortunately Thompson just doesn't have the size to do this.

On the flipside, I don't know the stats but I'm sure Thompson had more linebreaks than Nofa. He is much faster and more elusive but I feel like when this comes to modern day wingers this isn't as important as size/strength close to the line. Nofa may be short but he's a chunky dude with legs like tree trunks

super_coach

First Grade
Apparently The NRL would not let Laurie Dayley take up a coaching role as a half coach because he has a contract with a company in the gambling industry.

Now I am not concerned about missing out on Laurie, but to me it’s the NRL showing what a bunch of hypocrites they are. It’s okay for them to be in bed with the gambling industry but not for a part time half coach. I wonder who would have more chance of influencing results..the NRL or Laurie Daley

Another brain dead call from HQ

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Tigers furious as NRL blocks attempt to appoint Daley as halves coach

By Adrian Proszenko
7 February 2019 — 12:00am

The NRL has blocked Wests Tigers’ attempt to employ Laurie Daley as a halves coach because his radio presenting job has ties to the betting industry.
The development comes as the joint-venture outfit backs away from its threat to take legal action against the governing body over the deregistration of chief executive Justin Pascoe.

New Tigers coach Michael Maguire was content to work with the existing support staff rather than make wholesale changes upon arriving at Concord. However, he was keen to make one key appointment - that of former Raiders, Blues and Kangaroos five-eighth Daley.
The pair have been good friends since their playing days together at Canberra and the Herald revealed last month that Maguire was keen for the former NSW coach to mentor the club’s rising and experienced halves including Luke Brooks, Benji Marshall, Josh Reynolds and Tyson Gamble.

However, the NRL ruled Daley’s other job, as co-host of Sky Sports Radio's Big Sports Breakfast, could create a potential conflict of interest. Sky Sports Radio is owned by Tabcorp and Daley provides rugby league tips on one of the segments. Under the NRL rules, registered participants are prohibited from having ties with betting operators.
“Laurie checked with the integrity unit and then withdrew from the Wests Tigers role,” an NRL spokesman said.
The decision has infuriated the Tigers, who are still smarting over the NRL's decision to provisionally deregister Pascoe. The club is also facing the prospect of a $750,000 fine - as well as the removal of $639,000 out of this year’s salary cap - for failing to disclose a post-retirement ambassadorial deal that was struck with Robbie Farah when he left for South Sydney in 2016. With the NRL’s final decision still pending - the Tigers have submitted their response to the breach notice and are hoping for a reduction in the penalty - club officials didn't want to publicly comment on the Daley ruling. The decision means the club won’t be able to tap into the experience the 244-game veteran and former Blues coach could bring to the black, white and gold.
“I understand the rules and you always have to protect the integrity of the game,” Daley said.
“That’s about protecting me and also protecting them.

“I would have like to have been involved, most definitely. But I understand their decision and I fully endorse and support it. It’s the right thing to do.”

Daley has aspirations to one day become a head coach, but would have to give up his radio job to do so. Asked if that was a sacrifice he was prepared to make, the 49-year-old said: “That’s something for down the track, I’ll see what happens.”
Daley’s involvement with the radio station won’t force him to stand down as the coach of the Indigenous All Stars side, which takes on the Maori at AAMI Park on February 14. He is also an Australian selector.
“The All Stars game is a one-off celebration of indigenous culture and does not require ongoing contact with the players, so we welcome his involvement for one game a year under those circumstances,” the NRL spokesman said.

Two of the Tigers’ biggest names, Marshall and Moses Mbye, have suffered mini setbacks during the off-season. Mbye suffered a PCL rupture in his knee last week, while Marshall was hampered by a slight hamstring strain. Both players have emerged relatively unscathed and are expected to recover in time to get a trial game in before the season proper begins.
It caps a tumultuous off season for the Tigers that has also resulted in Michael Chee Kam and new recruit Zane Musgrove being charged with assault for alleged off-field incidents.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ti...nt-daley-as-halves-coach-20190206-p50w4i.html

Latest posts