What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop seeks release

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Not done on purpose??? I can understand someone making the mistake but as soon as the message was posted, the guy surely could recognize the mistake and fix it but didn't. Wasn't a mistake.
Careful, your paranoia is showing. I can tell when an honest mistake has been made. Just accept it and drop it.

possm

Coach
It is very interesting to see Widdop returning to our worst coach ever after serving under Mary who many believe to be our most useless coach. To me it shows Widdop is not necessarily in it for success, it is just a means of employment.

I would not be surprised if there was a heated falling out between Mary and Widdop causing Widdop to ask for an immediate release which was later negotiated to be a release at the end of 2019.

Belta

Juniors
Boy talk about mind numbing.

Fortunately in a few weeks, (from March 16 onwards) at least our conversations will revert to analysing the football and how our new boys fit in.

Worryingly a fox sports article from a few weeks ago suggests that Widdop switching to fullback scenario may not be as set in concrete as some may think. My guess he’ll be our no. 1, and this whole debate about if Widdop is/was a good playmaker will be dead and buried.

———————————————————————————————————

Despite assumptions his arrival would shift captain Gareth Widdop to fullback, Norman hinted at the possibility of starting the season in the No.1 jumper.

“I prefer five-eighth. I feel like that’s where I’m going to get my best footy. But I can play fullback as well, and you’re probably see me back there this year,” he said.

“I’m probably more open to it because ‘Gaz’ is a quality five-eighth. We can help each other out there and be a bit more dangerous if we both pop up either side.”

DragonJ

Juniors
Careful, your paranoia is showing. I can tell when an honest mistake has been made. Just accept it and drop it.
Ok. Hmmm how can I put this politely? The guy is far from a rocket scientist or to put it another way, is someone who takes advice from a rival coach:rolleyes: or it wasn't a mistake.

getsmarty

Immortal
Joey warns Dragons over Widdop mistake

Tim Elbra
3 hrs ago

Rugby league Immortal Andrew Johns has warned the Dragons against the gamble of playing star five-eighth Gareth Widdop at fullback.

Wide World of Sports’ The Mole revealed the surprise plan in December and Dragons recruit Corey Norman has just said that he expects to share fullback/five-eighth duties with Widdop this season.

$
:copyright: AAP Images The Dragons' off-season headlines have been dominated by Gareth Widdop and rugby league Immortal Andrew Johns says the club is making a mistake with its superstar. Norman told NRL.com that both he and Widdop had nominated No.6 as their preferred position, with each player having evolved after playing No.1 earlier in their careers.

Johns said that St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor should think twice about disrupting Widdop’s game, given he’s established himself as a top five-eighth.

“It’s interesting how him and Corey Norman fit into the team, how that changes the way they attack with Widdop at fullback,” Johns told Wide World of Sports.

“He nearly won the Dally M (in 2017), he was on fire during last year. I don’t know if I’d move him to fullback. I think I’d keep him at six.”

$
:copyright: AAP
That would leave Norman to pick up the bulk of the fullback duties, with young flyer Matt Dufty apparently on the outer.

While Widdop is hoping to finish on a high note with the Dragons before taking up a Super League deal with Warrington next season, Norman is trying to revive his career after being released by Parramatta.

“I remember seeing him come through the grades at Brisbane as a young five-eighth/fullback. I thought, ‘This young bloke’s destined for the top’,” Johns said of Norman.

“But he lost his way a little bit last year and on the back of Parramatta, they had such an awful season.

“I think a new club will revitalise him; maybe getting out of Sydney, too, moving down to Wollongong. Without a doubt, he’s got the talent and the potential.”

The other key cog in the Dragons’ attack is rep halfback Ben Hunt, who is still trying to consistently live up to his $1 million per season price tag.

Johns said that Hunt’s form had nosedived after a tough experience in State of Origin last season, which led to another Dragons fade-out (the club finished seventh, before exiting in the second week of the finals).

$
“The first 12 rounds last season, he was the best player in the competition,” John said.

“I don’t know what happens to the Dragons; I don’t think they know what happens. They fall in a heap towards the end of the year.

“He {Hunt} copped so much criticism after the second Origin; I’m sure he’d like to have those plays again. I think it really affected him.

“I hope he comes back and plays well, because I love watching him play. I think he’ll have a big year.”

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rug...ons-over-widdop-mistake/ar-BBTo0Ip?li=AAgg0Zv

DragonJ

Juniors
He's been guilty of running sideways in the past, but that was greatly improved this year.
Reframing my words so that you can argue against a distorted representation of them is an old trick. Please stop it.

That sounds like a coaching issue to me. Your key playmaker's role would be to execute. But again, rabble is your word, not mine.

And the responsibility of ensuring that the side is well balanced with creativity? Recruitment to ensure the players are in the squad, assistant coaches to develop the blokes with aptitude, and the head coach to actually select them.

I haven't distorted or misrepresented anything you have said. I have merely ignored the embellishments and cut right to the chase.

It started when you posted the first quote. How often do you think it can be said of even mediocre playmakers "last season he started running across field less"? Then you tried to backtrack by stating the rest of the team had no idea then not liking how that sounded, Widdop had no idea what else to do so he ran across field.

Now you are blaming the coach. I agree the coach is to blame. To blame for being a utter moron in not seeing Widdop was completely and hopelessly unsuited to being the main playmaker 4.5 years ago! Something Widdop said he wanted and was paid to be.

It was a rhetorical question. It's the job of the main playmaker to ensure the team is organized and putting the right plays on more often than not. i.e. The accurate comments you made about the team being a rabble (I know you didn't use that particular word) was mostly as a result of Widdop being a f**king terrible playmaker. Unless you think McFooknuckle tells the team something like "run around a little and then pass to Gareth."

But you know what? What @Belta says is accurate. I think the nightmare is over. Widdop is going to be fullback and he is going to do well there. Having said that, @TruSaint brings up something very relevant. Widdop is going to be one of if not the highest paid fullback in the competition. IMO he will do well but no way in the world he will be near as good as fullbacks on less money like Tedesco (officially), RTS, Trejbovic. Just one final farce for McFooknuckle to preside over.

I think a good coach would call Widdop into his office and say something to the end of: "You wanted to get out of your contract. I wish you all the best in the ESL. But we have to do what's best for the club and rest of the team who aren't leaving. You will accept less money to play fullback or you will go to the ESL immediately and we will negotiate a payout." If he demanded anything more than around 150k, he would told "you will accept the 150k or you will play the year in the ISP"!

Imagine over 750k of the salary cap freed up while having to "make do" with Dufty at fullback or even Lomax or Field.

BTW it's pretty obvious we have Mr and Mrs Widdop snr and Mrs Widdop and one of two personal friends posting here. Let me ask you bluntly. Do you have any kind of personal relationship with Widdop?

Old Timer

Coach
I haven't distorted or misrepresented anything you have said. I have merely ignored the embellishments and cut right to the chase.

It started when you posted the first quote. How often do you think it can be said of even mediocre playmakers "last season he started running across field less"? Then you tried to backtrack by stating the rest of the team had no idea then not liking how that sounded, Widdop had no idea what else to do so he ran across field.

Now you are blaming the coach. I agree the coach is to blame. To blame for being a utter moron in not seeing Widdop was completely and hopelessly unsuited to being the main playmaker 4.5 years ago! Something Widdop said he wanted and was paid to be.

It was a rhetorical question. It's the job of the main playmaker to ensure the team is organized and putting the right plays on more often than not. i.e. The accurate comments you made about the team being a rabble (I know you didn't use that particular word) was mostly as a result of Widdop being a f**king terrible playmaker. Unless you think McFooknuckle tells the team something like "run around a little and then pass to Gareth."

But you know what? What @Belta says is accurate. I think the nightmare is over. Widdop is going to be fullback and he is going to do well there. Having said that, @TruSaint brings up something very relevant. Widdop is going to be one of if not the highest paid fullback in the competition. IMO he will do well but no way in the world he will be near as good as fullbacks on less money like Tedesco (officially), RTS, Trejbovic. Just one final farce for McFooknuckle to preside over.

I think a good coach would call Widdop into his office and say something to the end of: "You wanted to get out of your contract. I wish you all the best in the ESL. But we have to do what's best for the club and rest of the team who aren't leaving. You will accept less money to play fullback or you will go to the ESL immediately and we will negotiate a payout." If he demanded anything more than around 150k, he would told "you will accept the 150k or you will play the year in the ISP"!

Imagine over 750k of the salary cap freed up while having to "make do" with Dufty at fullback or even Lomax or Field.
Now you are calling Andrew Johns a fool because your pursuit of Widdop knows no boundaries.
Please make a post as to how bad Johns has got this wrong so as to enlighten us lesser mortals and then please send it to him and then come back with to us with his and your sub sequent response.
We all need a bit of comedy relief.

Crush

Coach
Joey warns Dragons over Widdop mistake

Tim Elbra
3 hrs ago

Rugby league Immortal Andrew Johns has warned the Dragons against the gamble of playing star five-eighth Gareth Widdop at fullback.

Wide World of Sports’ The Mole revealed the surprise plan in December and Dragons recruit Corey Norman has just said that he expects to share fullback/five-eighth duties with Widdop this season.

$
:copyright: AAP Images The Dragons' off-season headlines have been dominated by Gareth Widdop and rugby league Immortal Andrew Johns says the club is making a mistake with its superstar. Norman told NRL.com that both he and Widdop had nominated No.6 as their preferred position, with each player having evolved after playing No.1 earlier in their careers.

Johns said that St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor should think twice about disrupting Widdop’s game, given he’s established himself as a top five-eighth.

“It’s interesting how him and Corey Norman fit into the team, how that changes the way they attack with Widdop at fullback,” Johns told Wide World of Sports.

“He nearly won the Dally M (in 2017), he was on fire during last year. I don’t know if I’d move him to fullback. I think I’d keep him at six.”

$
That would leave Norman to pick up the bulk of the fullback duties, with young flyer Matt Dufty apparently on the outer.

While Widdop is hoping to finish on a high note with the Dragons before taking up a Super League deal with Warrington next season, Norman is trying to revive his career after being released by Parramatta.

“I remember seeing him come through the grades at Brisbane as a young five-eighth/fullback. I thought, ‘This young bloke’s destined for the top’,” Johns said of Norman.

“But he lost his way a little bit last year and on the back of Parramatta, they had such an awful season.

“I think a new club will revitalise him; maybe getting out of Sydney, too, moving down to Wollongong. Without a doubt, he’s got the talent and the potential.”

The other key cog in the Dragons’ attack is rep halfback Ben Hunt, who is still trying to consistently live up to his $1 million per season price tag.

Johns said that Hunt’s form had nosedived after a tough experience in State of Origin last season, which led to another Dragons fade-out (the club finished seventh, before exiting in the second week of the finals).

$
“The first 12 rounds last season, he was the best player in the competition,” John said.

“I don’t know what happens to the Dragons; I don’t think they know what happens. They fall in a heap towards the end of the year.

“He {Hunt} copped so much criticism after the second Origin; I’m sure he’d like to have those plays again. I think it really affected him.

“I hope he comes back and plays well, because I love watching him play. I think he’ll have a big year.”

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rug...ons-over-widdop-mistake/ar-BBTo0Ip?li=AAgg0Zv
Finally someone speaking sense.
Moving Widdop out of the 6 this year would be madness.
If they really have to drop Dufty then it should be Norman at 1 this year.
But if it were me I would start the season like this
1. Dufty
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
9. McInnes
14. Norman

DragonJ

Juniors
Now you are calling Andrew Johns a fool because your pursuit of Widdop knows no boundaries.
Please make a post as to how bad Johns has got this wrong so as to enlighten us lesser mortals and then please send it to him and then come back with to us with his and your sub sequent response.
We all need a bit of comedy relief.

There is no "pursuit of Widdop". Quite the opposite. As you can see in the last paragraph, even though I think he will do well at fullback, unless he were to accept a pay cut I'd have him playing in the ESL with a minimal payout from us or on his full salary playing in the ISP.

As for Andrew Johns, firstly what club is he employed by? Still Manly? Perhaps we could get DCE to give us advice as well.
And aside from that, Andrew Johns moral shortcomings are well known.

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach

BTW it's pretty obvious we have Mr and Mrs Widdop snr and Mrs Widdop and one of two personal friends posting here. Let me ask you bluntly. Do you have any kind of personal relationship with Widdop?
I tried to engage in good faith. But this is utter dribble.

getsmarty

Immortal
There is no "pursuit of Widdop". Quite the opposite. As you can see in the last paragraph, even though I think he will do well at fullback, unless he were to accept a pay cut I'd have him playing in the ESL with a minimal payout from us or on his full salary playing in the ISP.

As for Andrew Johns, firstly what club is he employed by? Still Manly? Perhaps we could get DCE to give us advice as well.
And aside from that, Andrew Johns moral shortcomings are well known.

With all due respect , I think Mr Johns knows a lot more about footy than both you & me. Your Widdop bashing is getting boring...we get it, you don't rate him...how about giving everyone a break.

Your new here, so treat people with a little respect, otherwise you come off as a troll constantly looking for an argument. Have a great day.

Last edited:

DragonJ

Juniors
Everything. From talking about Hayne eating pu$$y to suggesting Widdop accept $150k for 2019 and everything in between. You're a troll. Nothing more, nothing less.
That would be 150k from the Dragons and whatever he is being paid in the ESL, Mrs Widdop. And you may not like the idea of eating pu$$y but if both parties like it and want it, it's none of your f**king business!
With all due respect , I think Mr Johns knows a lot more about footy than both you & me. Your Widdop bashing is getting boring...we get it, you don't rate him...how about giving everyone a break.

Your new here, so treat people with a little respect, otherwise you come off as a troll constantly looking for an argument. Have a great day.
No! I am one of the few who is on topic. Most of you are talking about me. Widdop is a fine player. I wouldn't go so far as to say "a star player" but about as good as a fringe SOO player. Just not as a playmaker at which he is very poor.

As for Andrew Johns, is he still employed by Manly? If so, why not ask DCE give us some advice as well? I'm sure he knows much more about the NRL than I do. Andrew Johns is evidently smarter than some of our supporters but he isn't that smart that he should even think about playing mind games with us!!!

Last edited:

True_Believer

Juniors
That would be 150k from the Dragons and whatever he is being paid in the ESL, Mrs Widdop. And you may not like the idea of eating pu$$y but if both parties like it and want it, it's none of your f**king business!

So why are you talking about Haynes personal business when you've just said it's no-ones business? You are such a wanker - you have zero clue about anything you are raving on about. Absolutely zero. You just keep digging yourself deeper and deeper. Like I said, you're a troll - and you aren't even good at it. You're trying, but failing miserably.

DragonJ

Juniors
So why are you talking about Haynes personal business when you've just said it's no-ones business? You are such a wanker - you have zero clue about anything you are raving on about. Absolutely zero. You just keep digging yourself deeper and deeper. Like I said, you're a troll - and you aren't even good at it. You're trying, but failing miserably.
Look Mrs Widdop, you are really starting to annoy me. I don't speak badly of your husband or son. I only state the fact he isn't a playmaker. Obviously! Look at the results since seemingly our painfully stupid coaching staff took advice from a rival coach and tried to build a team around that 'dominant playmaker'. @muzby may fall for that but he isn't much more intelligent than McFooknuckle! We have survived this catastrophe and I believe will come out the the other side stronger. Does this contradict my basic position that Widdop as a playmaker has been an unmitigated disaster? No, I don't think think so.
I mentioned Hayne and his love for eating pu$$y because it was on topic. I believe Widdop will do well at fullback. I believe it suits his game. He can pass a little and run a little and organize thing a little. Defence is still a problem. Qualities which suggest he could do well at fullback.

Now, if i haven't already told you, if you want to talk about me, great. Start a new thread about me. If anything is mentioned there I have an strong or relatively strong opinion about is mentioned, I will probably reply.

Having said that, I think Widdop will do well at fullback but there is no way in the world he will be a better fullback than Hayne. Of course the club can't sign Hayne now but if not for this nasty business, only a McFooknuckle-like idiot would keep Widdop on the books to play fullback and not sign Hayne.

True_Believer

Juniors
Look Mrs Widdop, you are really starting to annoy me. I don't speak badly of your husband or son. I only state the fact he isn't a playmaker. Obviously! Look at the results since seemingly our painfully stupid coaching staff took advice from a rival coach and tried to build a team around that 'dominant playmaker'. @muzby may fall for that but he isn't much more intelligent than McFooknuckle! We have survived this catastrophe and I believe will come out the the other side stronger. Does this contradict my basic position that Widdop as a playmaker has been an unmitigated disaster? No, I don't think think so.
I mentioned Hayne and his love for eating pu$$y because it was on topic. I believe Widdop will do well at fullback. I believe it suits his game. He can pass a little and run a little and organize thing a little. Defence is still a problem. Qualities which suggest he could do well at fullback.

Now, if i haven't already told you, if you want to talk about me, great. Start a new thread about me. If anything is mentioned there I have an strong or relatively strong opinion about is mentioned, I will probably reply.

Having said that, I think Widdop will do well at fullback but there is no way in the world he will be a better fullback than Hayne. Of course the club can't sign Hayne now but if not for this nasty business, only a McFooknuckle-like idiot would keep Widdop on the books to play fullback and not sign Hayne.

TrollFace.jpg

possm

Coach

Interesting to see the Mole and 'Joey Johns' sprooking the playmaker talents of Widdop while suggesting that Norman should be happy to wear the number 1 jumper in 2019. Opposition teams and those commentators who are always bagging the Dragons are terrified of the thought Norman would improve the playmaking role and Widdop would absolutely thrive in the fullback role at the Dragons.

I would suggest that if the Dragons could maintain their brick wall defence while at the same time have Widdop, Norman, Hunt two big fast wingers on the field, the Dragons would be even better than last season.

Of course Mary will need to change his ways by rotating the forwards - carrying a young up and coming prop on the bench each game and to manage the bench in a way that would provide maximum impact on the field while at the same time protect the forward pack from the devastating effects of fatigue.

True_Believer

Juniors
It is very interesting to see Widdop returning to our worst coach ever after serving under Mary who many believe to be our most useless coach. To me it shows Widdop is not necessarily in it for success, it is just a means of employment.

I would not be surprised if there was a heated falling out between Mary and Widdop causing Widdop to ask for an immediate release which was later negotiated to be a release at the end of 2019.

So the fact that the Wolves came 4th in the regular season and made the final in 2018 has nothing to do with the decision?