What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will the Canterbury Bulldogs finish in 2019?

Where will the Canterbury Bulldogs finish in 2019?

• Total voters

___

Juniors
Yeh Tim, great comparison. We’ve since lost Mbye, Klemmer, Morris x 2 and Woods. 4 internationals and one that is now captain of the tigers. Can’t see anything but good times ahead :rolling_eyes:
"Since lost"?

Mbye and Woods both left midway through the year and we improved.

Morris twins are in the twilight of their career. Klemmer is the key loss as I already stated.
Woods was over-rated, I have no idea why we signed him. Mbye was all talk, no show. The Morris boys, as great as they are, are at the end of their careers. We can always buy reliable and fast wingers and centres - I think we're already safe in having solid replacements for them. Klemmer will be a loss, but I don't think that he's irreplaceable. We have gifted youngsters who will be hungry for FG time after winning the state and national championship last year. Now I still don't think that will be enough to get us into the finals, however it's something to build upon for 2020. All the teams who win comps don't achieve success overnight.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Are you suggesting that our 2019 roster is better than the 2018 roster?
No, you appear to have assumed that.
Woods was over-rated, I have no idea why we signed him. Mbye was all talk, no show. The Morris boys, as great as they are, are at the end of their careers. We can always buy reliable and fast wingers and centres - I think we're already safe in having solid replacements for them. Klemmer will be a loss, but I don't think that he's irreplaceable. We have gifted youngsters who will be hungry for FG time after winning the state and national championship last year. Now I still don't think that will be enough to get us into the finals, however it's something to build upon for 2020. All the teams who win comps don't achieve success overnight.
Basically - this. We're no guarantee of shooting up the table as the squad is largely the same.

It largely hinges on how well our depth signings perform - there's plenty of promise in some of the signings we've made - CHN and Sue in particular. But whether they actually fire is key to whether we can challenge for finals.

I think a lot also rests on whether Foran is fit and if he is, whether he can find his best form. When he's on, he's a great player, but sadly it's been several years since we've seen that at any consistent level.

No, you appear to have assumed that.

Basically - this. We're no guarantee of shooting up the table as the squad is largely the same.

It largely hinges on how well our depth signings perform - there's plenty of promise in some of the signings we've made - CHN and Sue in particular. But whether they actually fire is key to whether we can challenge for finals.

I think a lot also rests on whether Foran is fit and if he is, whether he can find his best form. When he's on, he's a great player, but sadly it's been several years since we've seen that at any consistent level.

I didn’t assume that Timothy, I asked a question

The squad isn’t largely the same. You took 5 of our best players out of the team that were there at the start of 2018. Like your optimism but sadly it’s misguided. Guys like Sue and CHN are ok but they aren’t taking us up the table

?????? Mbye was comfortably our best player before he left in 2018. What game were you watching?

Timmah

Staff member
I didn’t assume that Timothy, I asked a question
The fact you asked implies you assumed it was my train of thought. The concession of Klemmer being a significant loss should have answered it regardless.

The squad isn’t largely the same. You took 5 of our best players out of the team that were there at the start of 2018. Like your optimism but sadly it’s misguided. Guys like Sue and CHN are ok but they aren’t taking us up the table
A disingenuous attempt to continue the discussion and balance the "facts" in your favour but doesn't wash with me. As stated previously, Mbye and Woods left halfway through the year and we improved after their departure.

Anyway as I said I'm hopefuly we can move a couple of places up but I'm not expecting miracles.

The fact you asked implies you assumed it was my train of thought. The concession of Klemmer being a significant loss should have answered it regardless.

A disingenuous attempt to continue the discussion and balance the "facts" in your favour but doesn't wash with me. As stated previously, Mbye and Woods left halfway through the year and we improved after their departure.

Anyway as I said I'm hopefuly we can move a couple of places up but I'm not expecting miracles.

No Tim, just confused with your train of thought so thought I’d clarify

Of course I’m comparing the start of 2018 to the start of 2019. Why the f**k would I compare r20 or any other round to now? FMD. We improved? Lulz. We beat a garbage broncos team, Killed the dragons and just got over the line vs the warriors. Lost everything else including an eels game. By golly that excites me

Timmah

Staff member
No Tim, just confused with your train of thought so thought I’d clarify

Of course I’m comparing the start of 2018 to the start of 2019. Why the f**k would I compare r20 or any other round to now? FMD. We improved? Lulz. We beat a garbage broncos team, Killed the dragons and just got over the line vs the warriors. Lost everything else including an eels game. By golly that excites me
Then don't be excited, but you can't tell others not to be lol. I saw enough promise in the latter half of the season - we were far more competitive and played better footy after Mbye and Woods had one. I don't know the reasons for that but it happened. Diminish it all you want.

Probably last or second last.

But I have put some money on at $3.50 that they will get the wooden spoon in 2019.

Best bet for the spoon since the train wreck Knights sides of the past.

For mine worst prop rotation in the NRL.

Worst half combination in the NRL.

Horrible, horrible outside backs.

Lack of star power all over.

___

Juniors
Not expecting to make the top 8 but having said that I think we've got enough to avoid the spoon.

Timmah

Staff member
Not expecting to make the top 8 but having said that I think we've got enough to avoid the spoon.
The side the Raiders put up on Saturday wasn't too bad - a bit light on in the backs but otherwise their halves and forward pack was what we'd expect it to be in the regular season. We were full strength 1-13 for the first half and were quite dominant, Foran's form was fairly impressive. The key for him will be to maintain that like he did for half a season at NZ a few years back and his early years at Manly.

That said, I'm not holding my breath - injury will probably put a stop to that.

Timmah

Staff member
If Foran gets injured should we rely on LL to step up?
I imagine Lewis is locked in as his halves partner, it's more about who fills the gap if he does get injured. Meaney? JMK?

Maybe we can pick up Shaun Johnson after today's news...