What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boxing

Willie Ray

Bench
aaahomer.jpg Does anyone know who the poor old 'Spam in a Can' is that Hodges is 'fighting'?
Guessing he might resemble this guy...

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
View attachment 27017 Does anyone know who the poor old 'Spam in a Can' is that Hodges is 'fighting'?
Guessing he might resemble this guy...

Dunno. He looked fit but obviously wasn’t worth shit, Hodges swarmed him and stopped him in about a minute without actually looking that impressive, looked like he missed as many shots as he landed.
We probably need a “footy players who think they can box” discussion thread, there’s enough there. I reckon Hodges vs Vatuvei could be next up, I’d put the house on Manu personally. He beat a guy who wasn’t a total tomato can and that uppercut was deadly:

ram raid

Bench
Dunno. He looked fit but obviously wasn’t worth shit, Hodges swarmed him and stopped him in about a minute without actually looking that impressive, looked like he missed as many shots as he landed.

He was a feather-fisted gumby. Perfect first opponent really. Hodges even said after the fights that he got caught .. but it obviously didn't hurt him.

I like the way Hodges stood over the guy every time he floored him. All class.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
From a pure marketing point of view a Gal vs SBW / Hodges vs Vatuvei, NZ vs Aus double bill would put bums on seats. Question is probably whether SBW is interested.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Gallen should fight Mundine. I would be as big as Green / Mundine.

Never gonna happen. Gallen is a heavyweight, fighting at around 100kg. Mundine fights at super middleweight at under 76kg. He’s not going to Go up three divisions to fight Gal in his own class, and Gal isn’t going to drop the 10kg he’d need just to drop down one division to cruiserweight.

Boxing really does need to introduce a weight limited heavyweight class though, it’s pretty tough for boxers in the 90-100kg range to compete with some of the behemoths put there these days.

shiznit

Coach
Never gonna happen. Gallen is a heavyweight, fighting at around 100kg. Mundine fights at super middleweight at under 76kg. He’s not going to Go up three divisions to fight Gal in his own class, and Gal isn’t going to drop the 10kg he’d need just to drop down one division to cruiserweight.

Boxing really does need to introduce a weight limited heavyweight class though, it’s pretty tough for boxers in the 90-100kg range to compete with some of the behemoths put there these days.
Nahh... that’s what makes the Heavyweight division special... it’s the only open weight division.

That’s why they call the HW champ the baddest man on the planet...

Adding a limit to the HW division or adding a super heavyweight division just takes away the shine from the division.

ram raid

Bench
Nahh... that’s what makes the Heavyweight division special... it’s the only open weight division.

Adding a limit to the HW division or adding a super heavyweight division just takes away the shine from the division.

I reckon Mundine is a light heavy at natural, he's emaciated at the weight he fights at now. Gallen could go down to light heavy or they could find a catch weight. I think Gal could beat him!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

I think you'd need to keep the open division as "heavyweight" as the name has all the history but just add another division for fighters below about 100kg.

shiznit

Coach
Haha all good.
I know his opponent wasn't much but he looked slick today, a heavyweight shouldn't be able to move like that
Yup... switching stances... throwing a lead uppercut ffs... :joy::joy:

Who the f**k does that at his size?

If he doesn’t fight Wilder or Joshua... I’d love to see him fight Parker... but i don’t know if they ever would... they are pretty good mates.

There’s a video out there of Tyson, Joseph Parker and Manu Vatuvei absolutely trolleyd doing a haka... :joy::joy:

Apparently it was after Parker’s fight with Hughie Fury and it caused Tyson’s split from his uncle...

abpanther

Staff member
Love watching Fury fight, unlike most heavyweights who are slow footed sluggers he fights more like a welterweight, quick hands, great angles and good combinations.

Plus his personality is great, such an entertainer

Latest posts