What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GB Lions Tour 2019

Pommy

Coach
What happens if the Lions tour is cancelled? What do England do?

I feel it would be 50/50 that there is no replacements lined up and England/Great Britain do not play a test this year.

I think England would still play a couple of games. Maybe France and someone else at Leigh.

Coastbloke

Bench
Has the RFL made any noises re the Tour. Seems odd that if rumours of the tour being cancelled are untrue then surely they would make a statement?

roughyedspud

Coach
There's not rumors that's it's untrue though..everyone knows the tour is in deep trouble...

And the idea of a England,Wales,France & Jamaica 4nations has received alot of positive comments...far more than a GB tour has lol

roughyedspud

Coach
There's not rumors that's it's untrue though..everyone knows the tour is in deep trouble...

And the idea of a England,Wales,France & Jamaica 4nations has received alot of positive comments...far more than a GB tour has lol

Great Britain tour in doubt It seems that the Great Britain Lions tour to New Zealand planned for autumn may not well not go ahead, report League Weekly. The New Zealand authorities feel that it is still not sure if the tour would generate a profit. The tour is supposedly to go ahead at the end of the season, but the fixture list has not been drawn up and the longer matters draw out, the less likely, according to League Weekly. The Kiwi authorities cannot understand why such an iconic brand as the Lions is struggling to pull in sponsorship.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/pos...ted-dispensation-great-britain-tour-in-doubt/

adamkungl

Immortal
Maybe they should have continued with the English shirt that just over a year ago nearly stole the World Cup under Australia's nose, that last year convincingly beat NZ 3 games to 1, that in 2 years is hosting a World Cup and hopes to sell out high capacity stadiums across the country?

Instead of bringing back an obsolete property that's damaging to those it claims to represent, and only holds nostalgia value to old blokes who have a dozen other reasons why the games gone to the dogs and they wont pay for it anyway

roughyedspud

Coach
Which is exactly what I've been saying since day one...

There was a easy out in all this too...instead of all the speculation about the lack of sponsors & money,further damaging a already garbage brand,they could have said

" Ireland & Scotland have important RLWCQ games at the same time as the proposed GB tour therefore we feel now is not the right time to take players away from teams with important games,we are committed to bringing back GB so we will work with our fellow home NGB's too find a suitable time to do so.."

And everyone would say...."fair enough"

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
An ENGLAND tour or a 4N with the already WC qualified teams are both fine ideas, but I doubt the England v GB issue is what has the NZRL struggling to find funding.

They just arent particularly good at finding funding for bloody well anything.
Or promoting NZ games.
Or running worthwhile competitions.

roughyedspud

Coach
Oh I agree it's not a GB v England issue...

It's the lack of a meaningful series for the NZRL to sell that's the issue...a 3 test series v GB or Eng would have sold

Perth Red

Post Whore
What happens if the Lions tour is cancelled? What do England do?

I feel it would be 50/50 that there is no replacements lined up and England/Great Britain do not play a test this year.

Opportunity for tonga and png to tour France and England maybe?

roughyedspud

Coach
Has anyone read mascords latest piece of bull$hit ?

http://rugbyam.co.uk/discord-what-can-british-rugby-league-learn-from-the-nrl-all-star-game/

From what I can gather, the proposed Great Britain Tour is now dependent on the NRL successfully negotiating with the Rugby League Players Association for the Australian players to drop their match payments so the green-and-golds can take part in the gazetted Pacific series.
If that happens, Great Britain will play in a series of triple headers on the back of this series, saving money for ground hire, promotion and the rest. They still won’t play Australia.
If the negotiations are unsuccessful, Britain may still just go to New Zealand but the Kiwis are concerned they’ll lose money on a two-Test series and could also baulk, scuppering the whole thing. GB have pencilled in a PNG visit on the way home.

So even though GB aren't playing Australia the tour depends on the RLPA reducing the green & golds match fee....

Does that make sense to anyone??

Storm13

Juniors

roughyedspud

Coach
The way I read it is when Australia plays NZ in the pacific series...GB will play Tonga as a curtain raiser..

Likewise when Australia plays Tonga GB will play NZ as a curtain raiser...

And then off to PNG...

If that's true then.......ffffuuuuuuccccckkkkkk ooooffffff

Storm13

Juniors
I honestly have no f**king idea what's happening.

Just add England and France to this competition and call it the Confed Cup.