What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL coaches should have to have a degree in communication

T-Boon

Coach
This is one of the things NRL coaches should have to have.
Some of them are terrible communicators to the fans (eg through press conferences where the fan gets to see them the most).
The game needs to drop the working class larrikin image. It is pre-historic.
There are too many Maloney's, Cordner's, Norman's, Flanagan's, Arthurs's.
Too many syllables are getting dropped. Yes is not pronounced "air".
Not enough DCE's, Cooper Cronks.

Did anyone notice when Israel Folau started playing union he started talking a lot smarter? It happened over night.

Sorry but I don't agree. I've seen plenty of Uni Graduates who are as dumb as a fencepost and have no idea on how to communicate, including those who did a Bachelor of Communications.

Secondly, I didn't know Maloney, Cordner nor Norman were coaches?

Thirdly being an effective communicator and being an eloquent speaker are not necessarily the same thing. It is no point be able to speak like Winston Churchill if, after you have finished, your audience has no idea what you were trying to say. Like him or not, all the players I've heard have never had an issue with Flanagan's communication skills.

T-Boon

Coach
But seriously this is a real pet hate of mine. There is just no excuse for the coaches to be poor surly communicators with the fans (via press conferences and such).
I don't care if they are brilliant with the players, if they cannot sell the game to the fan then they should not get past the job interview.

But seriously this is a real pet hate of mine. There is just no excuse for the coaches to be poor surly communicators with the fans (via press conferences and such).
I don't care if they are brilliant with the players, if they cannot sell the game to the fan then they should not get past the job interview.

Coaches are hired to ….. coach players. It is not their job to sell the game. Games and Premierships are not won by PR Campaigns.

Quicksilver

Bench

If he can get the team winning comps and playing attractive football I don't care if he never says a word.

Angry_eel

First Grade
This is one of the things NRL coaches should have to have.
Some of them are terrible communicators to the fans (eg through press conferences where the fan gets to see them the most).
The game needs to drop the working class larrikin image. It is pre-historic.
There are too many Maloney's, Cordner's, Norman's, Flanagan's, Arthurs's.
Too many syllables are getting dropped. Yes is not pronounced "air".
Not enough DCE's, Cooper Cronks.

Did anyone notice when Israel Folau started playing union he started talking a lot smarter? It happened over night.

I agree with you, somewhat. This image only attracts the tradies. Classic example is the Roosters. Roosters attract the bogan crowd of the Eastern Suburbs while the Swans get the Hipsters and families.

I agree with you, somewhat. This image only attracts the tradies. Classic example is the Roosters. Roosters attract the bogan crowd of the Eastern Suburbs while the Swans get the Hipsters and families.

Also, look at how successful the Tigers were when coached by that master orator Alan Jones.

Latest posts