What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team list Tuesday ! Trial vs Raiders

Delboy

First Grade
Until the team/coaching staff develop attacking plays outside of block plays and fullback sweeps in the opposition 20 we will struggle to score when we should.

That's the major factor from last night, and the blatantly obvious fact that once the starting props come off, the fall in production is too large. If we can't produce a better bench prop than Tim, we will continue to struggle.

The structures suck still

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Until the team/coaching staff develop attacking plays outside of block plays and fullback sweeps in the opposition 20 we will struggle to score when we should.

That's the major factor from last night, and the blatantly obvious fact that once the starting props come off, the fall in production is too large. If we can't produce a better bench prop than Tim, we will continue to struggle.

Spot on. Watching it again now and we are rubbish in the Opposition 20.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
What do you put that down to? Ability or lack of? Coaching/too much structure or not enough??
A bit of everything but that particular issue has a lot to do with coaching.

BA’s not great in that area and has them playing in a fairly predictable manner but he also has assistants who could help. I’d like to see them throw some different shapes at the opposition.

Which of the assistant coaches looks after attack - Potter, Murphy or Kidwell?

hindy111

Post Whore
A bit of everything but that particular issue has a lot to do with coaching.

BA’s not great in that area and has them playing in a fairly predictable manner but he also has assistants who could help. I’d like to see them throw some different shapes at the opposition.

Which of the assistant coaches looks after attack - Potter, Murphy or Kidwell?

When in opposition 20 you will have 2 strikes at them at best and maybe a nice kick at end.
Our issue in 18 was trying to score off every play inside 20 and not settin up for the one or 2 strikes.Not scoring inside the 20 isnt an issue. Your still winning. The key is a repeat set or give them the ball inside the 10. Then defend well and no penalties. At best they kick inside there 35-40mtr line and our full back/wing carts ball back to our own 35 on tackle one. You then batter it up 3 x and still get 1 strike at them followed by a kick. Eventualy they will wear down and you score.

If you dont score of the strike plays you just have to stick to the plan (unless chasing points late in game) Our issue is we dont. We give away a penalty or a shit kick etc....

I'd focus strike plays after 2 quick hit ups. Try and use Lane or Nikauore on the one on ones with the fullback trailing.... No poinnt hitting middle forwards on 3rd and 5th. These have to be strike plays when inside 20. No cocking about with 4 or 5 offloads either. 2 x quick hit ups and go. Then one quick hit up and go. If dont score compose for defense and be patient.

IFR33K

Coach
Don’t you think we look a little slow and clunky compared to other teams?

You left out predictable too.

And that’s without Nathan brown in the team last night too. He’s good for 2 hit ups a set, one guaranteed on 4th, that’ll make the team clunk even more :joy:

strider

Post Whore
Coaching. We have been shit in this department for years. I also think Moses is better from 40-50 out. I reckon he is better playing off the cuff where as inside the 10 we play to a (poor) structure and he gets cramped
We could adopt a new strategy when we get inside the 20 ... instead of someone taking a hit up we can take a hit back where they just run backwards 15 metres and we attack from there

#innovation

Kornstar

Coach
How many you think? It was quite full

There was no way they could know the crowd, it was free entry so you just walked in and no one “counted” in any way.

The grandstand was full at 6:10. The eastern side grass (hill) area was full, both ends had a very decent amount (the southern end was packed) of people and the western side at the sides of the stands were pretty full too.

I will take a stab and say 5,000 or at least close.

hineyrulz

Post Whore

Yep, nothing much has changed. Such a great idea to extend the contract of the attack coach. Murphy has done such a great job with our attack in the 5 years he was here.

Kornstar

Coach
Did anyone think the quarter time breaks ruined the game last night in any way?

It was stupid too because we forced a line drop out at quarter time and then the Raiders kicked off to start the second quarter. You should just start from where the play ended at the quarter break!!

Kornstar

Coach
Coaching. We have been shit in this department for years. I also think Moses is better from 40-50 out. I reckon he is better playing off the cuff where as inside the 10 we play to a (poor) structure and he gets cramped

Yeah i still maintain that we don’t pass the ball quick enough to the edges. You watch the good teams and their halves not only pass much longer but the speed at which they do it is incredible so the opposition doesn’t have a chance to react as quick.

With us it seems like slow motion so while we may be executing the actual movements we run out of room because of the time it took for the ball to get there. We don’t really do much at speed. The Rabbitohs last year perfected it and that’s why they were able to create so many over laps.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yeah i still maintain that we don’t pass the ball quick enough to the edges. You watch the good teams and their halves not only pass much longer but the speed at which they do it is incredible so the opposition doesn’t have a chance to react as quick.

With us it seems like slow motion so while we may be executing the actual movements we run out of room because of the time it took for the ball to get there. We don’t really do much at speed. The Rabbitohs last year perfected it and that’s why they were able to create so many over laps.
Everything we seem to do is in slow motion, especially in the opposition 20m zone. And lets not forget that sweep play out the back lol.

Latest posts