What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team list Tuesday ! Trial vs Raiders

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Don’t you think we look a little slow and clunky compared to other teams?
We did last year for two reasons:

1. The crackdown on the ruck meant the ten wasn’t policed out wide. We were a team built to shift the ball early so this hurt us more than any other team.

2. When we tried to adjust and go through the middle instead we just didn’t have the cattle. Or the pigs.

But I thought we looked good against Canberra’s reserve grade side, considering the time of year. Every team is rusty to start the year.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah i still maintain that we don’t pass the ball quick enough to the edges. You watch the good teams and their halves not only pass much longer but the speed at which they do it is incredible so the opposition doesn’t have a chance to react as quick.

With us it seems like slow motion so while we may be executing the actual movements we run out of room because of the time it took for the ball to get there. We don’t really do much at speed. The Rabbitohs last year perfected it and that’s why they were able to create so many over laps.
No, they looked good out wide because the forced defences to compress beforehand.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
We did last year for two reasons:

1. The crackdown on the ruck meant the ten wasn’t policed out wide. We were a team built to shift the ball early so this hurt us more than any other team.

2. When we tried to adjust and go through the middle instead we just didn’t have the cattle. Or the pigs.

But I thought we looked good against Canberra’s reserve grade side, considering the time of year. Every team is rusty to start the year.
I meant slow and clunky in the Opposition 20.

Big Pete

Referee
I thought it was an impressive display from Paulo. He ran with plenty of vigor through out the game and it didn't seem to matter how many players the Raiders got into the tackle he was still bending the line or producing second phase play. For a few years now, Arthur has been looking to replace Paulo with similar style players and it hasn't worked out for him. Now he's got the real thing and it's going to work out for the team and by the looks of it Paulo.

The Eels kept it pretty simple through out and if you add Brown and Ma'u to that rotation they'll generate more momentum and give the likes of Moses, Gutherson and Brown more to play off of. Gutherson in particular impressed me with his cut-out to Parry and then the vision to kick through for Jennings. If Arthur can get him more involved, it bodes well for the Eels.

Another couple of players who impressed me were Salmon and Utoikamanu. If nothing else, the Eels have their utility player in Jaeman. He's a very busy player, but what I like is that he wasn't selfish either. He was taking the runs that needed to be made and was doing a good job on the Raiders around the ruck. It remains to be seen, but if he's up to it defensively, he could be the player to fill that problematic right centre position for the Eels.

Meanwhile Utoikamanu looks so agile for a guy his size. I'm sure Arthur will be patient with him and have him play for the Magpies first, but if he finds his feet, it won't be long until he's a part of that rotation.

The two concerns for Parramatta were the ruck defence and the three-quarters. When the Raiders got a proper dummy half out there, the Eels began to look really vulnerable around the play the ball and the Raiders scored two very soft tries. Meanwhile Jenko was easily covered by a rookie centre and Hoffman didn't make the most of the ball he was given. Maybe the Eels will end up throwing caution to the wind and putting Ferguson there, but it's difficult to score points when you just don't have the weapons.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Guy, guys, guys - it was a trial.

Relax.

The scoreline does not matter.

I am sure the most important things in Arthur's mind were (not necessarily in order):

1. No injuries

2. Giving Dylan Brown a run against "proper" NRL players

3. Experimenting with adding youth to the side

I'm not saying Arthur is the greatest coach ever, but I wouldn't read too much into a trial.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Guy, guys, guys - it was a trial.

Relax.

The scoreline does not matter.

I am sure the most important things in Arthur's mind were (not necessarily in order):

1. No injuries

2. Giving Dylan Brown a run against "proper" NRL players

3. Experimenting with adding youth to the side

I'm not saying Arthur is the greatest coach ever, but I wouldn't read too much into a trial.
We are f**ked and the fact that you cant see this is f**ked!

hindy111

Post Whore
Trials mean not a lot.

I'd expect them to ramp it up against the Panthers in the next trial. There is still 4 weeks to go. And plenty of players wont reach peak fitness till about round 4 anyhows.
As much as Mannah was woefull you have to wonder what a guy like him would get from a trial? Most likely only a few younger guys would of been busting nut to show coach.