What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hold the women’s competition in summer

siv

First Grade
I do however like the concept of the NRL-W competition running as a pre-season competition of 1 round robin series and a final until it gets beyond 8 teams when it can operate as a properly in a home/ away series and 5 team finals

Pommy

Coach
In what way, I simply made a point that it would provide a solution to the big problem that the women's NRL comp has in expanding and the impact it has on the Women's ISP comp and the corresponding QLD comp. I don't necessarily agree with it, but its a valid point. The big thing stoppign it is that the NRL want the Women's NRL GF on the same day as the mens.

Its also the first time I have commented on anything like this, so I think the Christmas Cheer has you a bit confused.

I just want to congratulate you on an entire post without mentioning Souths, well done.

I can’t imagine Women’s RL in summer being a great show.
With all respect to the women who took part as part timers in the WNRL the second halves of most games last season really showed where their fitness was. Having them play in summer would do the sport no favours at all. That could equally be said of the men’s game but being full timers they would at least be able to mitigate it better.

kbw

Bench
I just want to congratulate you on an entire post without mentioning Souths, well done.

I could cop the broken record comment for that :)
that stuff is all fun and games, but really its too easy, bit like taking the piss out of Trump.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
2018 was a momentous year for women’s rugby league. We saw the first women’s NRL competition and women’s state of origin.

Despite its huge successes, the women’s NRL competition found itself drowned out by the far more established and superior men’s competition.

The solution to providing the girls with an entire market to capture is to hold their league competition over summer. There is a huge market of league hungry fans who are looking for something to watch other than cricket or greyhound racing. The summer girls comp would allow the NRL to have a year round product, and may also curb the media’s propensity to headline grab over the NRLs off season.

Thoughts and opinions?
No one should play football in the Australian summer.

It is obscenely stupid. The Australian sport watching public have a mode - March to early-October = footy - mid-October to February = cricket

It is obscenely stupid. The Australian sport watching public have a mode - March to early-October = footy - mid-October to February = cricket

Surely you could combat that by either going the Tennis route (a shorter game), or quartering up the 80 minutes.

siv

First Grade
Well your going to get more of it after Roosters now have NRLW team, W Touch RL Mens Touch RL and mixed Touch RL teams

But once they pull on a NRL jersey they become the opposition for 15 other club fans

Wizardman

First Grade

Agree....in this heat, way too hard...which affects the standard and health of the players. A no for me.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Surely you could combat that by either going the Tennis route (a shorter game), or quartering up the 80 minutes.
The push for equality in women, especially in sport has taken off in recent times.

It'll be a shit look if a bunch of blokes decided to make the games shorter and play it almost as exhibition/fun in the summer.

Degrading as f**k.

This Year?

Immortal
White knight on cue. Classically attacking the poster rather than the point being made.

Having watched a game at the start of the season, I wondered why this competition wasn't standalone, and why did it have to piggyback the finals series, after a full season of being saturated with football.

But I'm sure I'm just being sexist

I suggest you read the OP again. I did find it dumb to suggest a winter sport be played over summer and to compare rugby league to cricket or greyhound racing. I did find it sexist that the OP suggests women's rugby league to be used to curb the media's prosperity to grab a headline during the men's comp off season. It has nothing to do with being a "white knight". I couldn't give a shit what women think about me.

Maybe it was not the OP's intention and I apologise to the OP if that is the case, but that was the way I interpreted the post.

siv

First Grade
Perfect opportunity to play NRLW in Jan / Feb

On a beach and televised live at 7:30pm

T-Boon

Coach
I agree that playing in summer is the way to go.
I think the reason they don't want to do it this way is that it will cost the clubs more money in promotion and ground hire and the NRL clubs (especially Sydney) are the tightest, greediest bunch of scum in Australian sport.

Timbo

Staff member
It was 35 degrees today and summer is almost over.

But, sure, play a full contact sport in weather like that.

siv

First Grade
You would play at night Thu Fri Sat Sun eg 6pm or 8pm

Grow the comp to be 2 pools of 8 teams over 7 weeks and 2 final weeks eg 1A v 2B and 2A v 1B

RL on TV is dead at the moment so why not

Let GF day be NSW Cup Wpremiers v QLD Cup Wpremiers

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If the comp grows to 16 teams total, squashing it into 7 weeks is foolish and stupid. Playing it in summer doubly so.

T-Boon

Coach
If the comp grows to 16 teams total, squashing it into 7 weeks is foolish and stupid. Playing it in summer doubly so.

Why they play HM & SG Ball at this time of year? Play the games at night. Two groups of 8 - 7 games each. The winner of each group play in a final.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Why they play HM & SG Ball at this time of year? Play the games at night. Two groups of 8 - 7 games each. The winner of each group play in a final.
Wait, you have such little respect for our elite level women's competition you want to compare it to U16 and U18 pathways competitions?

T-Boon

Coach
Wait, you have such little respect for our elite level women's competition you want to compare it to U16 and U18 pathways competitions?

This took a strange turn. Were we not talking about playing in the heat?

siv

First Grade

The 3 to 7 week format can be used to grow the NRLW from 4 to 16 without impacting other competitions until ready to replace NSW Cup/QLD Cup as the pregame for all NRL club games

But using NRLW as a content filler like the AFL do would work. You just play at night. NRLW final in the week before season kickoff also would make it a season highlight