What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hold the women’s competition in summer

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
This took a strange turn. Were we not talking about playing in the heat?
You compared it to U16 and U18 competitions. Not me.
Why can't it be played during winter?
The 3 to 7 week format can be used to grow the NRLW from 4 to 16 without impacting other competitions until ready to replace NSW Cup/QLD Cup as the pregame for all NRL club games

But using NRLW as a content filler like the AFL do would work. You just play at night. NRLW final in the week before season kickoff also would make it a season highlight
We get it, you hate the idea of a National Comp interfering with your precious state comps

siv

First Grade
We get it, you hate the idea of a National Comp interfering with your precious state comps

At the moment NRLW doesnt have enough teams to play as a full season winter sport eg April to September

It is acting as a TV content replacement for the old NYC during the final series, with NRL plans for exclusion rather than inclusion. Which wont work if the NRL wants to play NRLW prior to NRL mens on match days for all 16 clubs

And we are in the middle of a dead RL TV period up until March 9 weekend

AFL have successfully setup exactly what this thread has proposed and I saw it get 150k viewing audience recently

Timmah

Staff member
At the moment NRLW doesnt have enough teams to play as a full season winter sport eg April to September

It is acting as a TV content replacement for the old NYC during the final series, with NRL plans for exclusion rather than inclusion. Which wont work if the NRL wants to play NRLW prior to NRL mens on match days for all 16 clubs

And we are in the middle of a dead RL TV period up until March 9 weekend

AFL have successfully setup exactly what this thread has proposed and I saw it get 150k viewing audience recently
You are literally proposing it stays at this time of year as it expands to 16 teams :joy:

T-Boon

Coach
You are literally proposing it stays at this time of year as it expands to 16 teams :joy:

What is your opposition to it being played in the summer. Do you insist on womens sport being a footnote to mens sport?

Timmah

Staff member
What is your opposition to it being played in the summer. Do you insist on womens sport being a footnote to mens sport?
LOL you want it to be played in the heat of summer and you try to turn it around as though I'm insisting it's a footnote?

Other sports are already clogging the landscape at this time of the year.

T-Boon

Coach
LOL you want it to be played in the heat of summer and you try to turn it around as though I'm insisting it's a footnote?

Other sports are already clogging the landscape at this time of the year.

Summers not an issue as the games will be at night and if need be play in Qs.
Like what, there is virtually no sport to watch at this time of year. I am forced to watch A-league if I want sport.

Timmah

Staff member
Like what, there is virtually no sport to watch at this time of year. I am forced to watch A-league if I want sport.
BBL, A-League, AFLW and NRL & AFL pre-seasons all on at this time of year.

Pommy

Coach

A league isn’t sport.

Having amateurs or semi pros play in summer is a f**king stupid idea even at night.
Give it a few weeks and fully pro men will be dead on their feet playing in quarters in the first couple of rounds.

T-Boon

Coach
Having amateurs or semi pros play in summer is a f**king stupid idea even at night.
Give it a few weeks and fully pro men will be dead on their feet playing in quarters in the first couple of rounds.

I get that the heat is an issue.
What I don't get is why so many others can handle it (AFLW, SG ball, HM cup, A-League, cricket, pre season trials). Why cant the women handle it for say 6 rounds?

T-Boon

Coach

Most NRL clubs have played 2 trials already. This makes no sense.

Timmah

Staff member
What I don't get is why so many others can handle it (AFLW, SG ball, HM cup, A-League, cricket, pre season trials). Why cant the women handle it for say 6 rounds?
Because "handling it" shouldn't be the defaulting resting pulse for the benefit of the women's game.

Another advantage holding it end of season is having it after the state cup competitions, which is where AFLW is struggling.

T-Boon

Coach
Because "handling it" shouldn't be the defaulting resting pulse for the benefit of the women's game.

Another advantage holding it end of season is having it after the state cup competitions, which is where AFLW is struggling.

I think it is worth weighing up playing in the heat v playing second fiddle to the mens comp. Second fiddle in RL gets close to zero attention.

Timmah

Staff member
I think it is worth weighing up playing in the heat v playing second fiddle to the mens comp. Second fiddle in RL gets close to zero attention.
NRLW stood up well given it was during the Finals, I wouldn't be baulking at the current arrangement unless it was a total disaster.

Pommy

Coach

What do you mean it makes no sense? Every year we have at least one game where the NRLs duty of care is brought in to question. Last year I believe it was manly vs eels at Brookvale.

Timbo

Staff member

So your solution to getting it more attention is to have it compete against cricket and tennis. In summer.

OK then.

T-Boon

Coach
So your solution to getting it more attention is to have it compete against cricket and tennis. In summer.

OK then.

I am thinking start it in February with the final being in early March the week before the NRL season kicks off. Not sure that time frame really clashes with cricket or tennis.
One thing about having it during the mens finals is that if your team does not make the finals a lot of people switch into off season mode. I have to be honest as an Eels fan (and basically hating all the teams that made the finals) I completely switched off RL by the time the WNRL stated and I totally forgot the womens comp was even on.
Compare that with this time of year when I am even gearing up for SG ball and HM games not to mention pointless trials.

Timbo

Staff member
I am thinking start it in February with the final being in early March the week before the NRL season kicks off. Not sure that time frame really clashes with cricket or tennis.
One thing about having it during the mens finals is that if your team does not make the finals a lot of people switch into off season mode. I have to be honest as an Eels fan (and basically hating all the teams that made the finals) I completely switched off RL by the time the WNRL stated and I totally forgot the womens comp was even on.
Compare that with this time of year when I am even gearing up for SG ball and HM games not to mention pointless trials.

In this scenario it'll never be able to expand to be longer than a four week competition, because if it goes any earlier it'll be up against the Big Bash League and the Australian Open, and any later it'll get swallowed by the early rounds of the NRL.

Not to mention - it's still hot as f**k. It was 38 degrees yesterday.

Just accept that women like playing football too and they have a right to play a winter sport at a time appropriate to the code. If you don't like it, if it offends you somehow, if you think the awful wimmen are somehow taking away from the men, then don't watch it. Simple.

T-Boon

Coach
In this scenario it'll never be able to expand to be longer than a four week competition, because if it goes any earlier it'll be up against the Big Bash League and the Australian Open, and any later it'll get swallowed by the early rounds of the NRL.

When it expands play it overlapping the start of the NRL season for as long as necessary (say first 8 rounds or so). While everyone is still keen on watching NRL.

The beauty of that is they could pick origin teams based on the full season and so then just go into a representative season of SoO and then test matches. Gold.

Because top flight senior rugby league is much more rigorous than any of those.

Hate to shatter your bubble, but regular first graders don't put in 100% in trials.

Latest posts