What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Kasiano

possm

Coach
Massive NO from me.
Sam Kasiano is one of the genuine grubs of the game.
Whatever impact he may have had at Canterbury a couple of years ago is ancient history now.
We don't need him and we don't want him at any price.
If in fact we have some cap room we should be looking for a replacement for Lafai.
A real centre partner for Lomax that will develop into a lethal combination.
As for the forwards, back our youngsters to fill the void.
We have plenty of options in the forwards if McGregor wants to be creative.

I say use the extra cap to front load a contract with the existing players and continue to do so until the trial is completed. In this way for example; the extra space is there for 2020 if the trial was to end prior to 2020.

SGI need to gain agreement with the NRL regarding this matter. I say the NRL will need to stump up any cap adjustments that need to be made while at the say time pay De Belin until the trial has ended.

slippery5

Juniors
My tip is for Aitken, Lafai and Lawrie to move on prior to their contract being up.
Lomax and Masters as our centres
Robson as our long term hooker but in rotation off the bench at 14 for now.
Not often do you come up with team selections I agree on, but this time I 100% agree. It's probably the only changes we need. We would then have a foundation for many years ahead with our current roster in all grades.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Not often do you come up with team selections I agree on, but this time I 100% agree. It's probably the only changes we need. We would then have a foundation for many years ahead with our current roster in all grades.
aitken and lafai perhaps but LAWRIE whats the kid done wrong in your expert opinion of course .......

Carrera28

Juniors
Surely Korbin Sims and Leilua can compete for the starting position and we can take our best junior forward and upgrade his contract and start blooding him? Potentially McInnes will be playing lock later in games anyway with Robson coming off bench to play hooker so I think all Kasiano gives us is some depth due to injuries for fatigue but he doesn't make the team stronger than what we already have.

Kasiano is not the future and he is just going to be a block in a couple of years for young kids.

Frank Facer

First Grade
12 months ago I would have said yes. I think Kasiano missed a lot of games due to injury last year. I didn't see much of him. When I think about it, he could be our second best prop, if he was at our club. I wouldn't say no to him, but if we were really interested in him, I would have another look at how he went last year. Another reason to sign him would be to weaken Melbourne.

slippery5

Juniors
aitken and lafai perhaps but LAWRIE whats the kid done wrong in your expert opinion of course .......
Nothing other than I think we are better suited to a larger Kerr type of player, also I've seen a bit of Timm play for the Falcons & he just keeps running into the defence with a bit more speed than I've seen Lawrie do.
You've got to ask your self why do you think they kept an eye on him playing up on coast if they thought they were satisfied ? Maybe others agree on my expert opinion, but he did show a little of what we have been looking from him in the last TWO games.

slippery5

Juniors
12 months ago I would have said yes. I think Kasiano missed a lot of games due to injury last year. I didn't see much of him. When I think about it, he could be our second best prop, if he was at our club. I wouldn't say no to him, but if we were really interested in him, I would have another look at how he went last year. Another reason to sign him would be to weaken Melbourne.
If you have seen him play in the Intrust cup like I have, you would rather resurrect Georgie Rose, more intent & passion in one boot than S.K.

ouryears

Bench
From what I saw, Bellamy couldn’t get Kasiano past a 6/10
I prefer we bought back Mcrone......seriously, Kasiano is a NOOO!

SGMax

Juniors
On one hand , if we can get him cheap...with our forwards environment, he may prove useful as an impact player. We can't expect as good a run with injuries as we had last year.
Then again, if we don't take him and other teams also pass, Storm may not be able to play Smith!

possm

Coach
On one hand , if we can get him cheap...with our forwards environment, he may prove useful as an impact player. We can't expect as good a run with injuries as we had last year.
Then again, if we don't take him and other teams also pass, Storm may not be able to play Smith!

If signing another forward is with funds provided by the ARLC in compensation for JDB, then I'm sure the ARLC would require that only the funds used to replace JDB will be compensated. I think to be provided with compensation SGI would have to show the purchase of a new player.

I doubt very much that Kasiano would be the player we are looking for. I'd say we would need a first grade lock who can play long minutes and how has great attacking skills and bruising defence.

I'd like to think we now have all the depth we need in the prop rotation for 2019:
Vaughan
Graham
K Sims
Lawrie
Kerr
Timm
Latimore
Allgood
Blacker

So an experienced first grade lock is probably the ideal player we should target to replace JDB.

Hopefully, we still have salary cap available to fill the 30th spot in our top 30, an outside back position.

Jersey No 14

Juniors
PS.
I have my doubts whether Graham can go the distance.
Another positive reason.
And as before - there will be injuries

SGMax

Juniors
If signing another forward is with funds provided by the ARLC in compensation for JDB, then I'm sure the ARLC would require that only the funds used to replace JDB will be compensated. I think to be provided with compensation SGI would have to show the purchase of a new player.

I doubt very much that Kasiano would be the player we are looking for. I'd say we would need a first grade lock who can play long minutes and how has great attacking skills and bruising defence.

I'd like to think we now have all the depth we need in the prop rotation for 2019:
Vaughan
Graham
K Sims
Lawrie
Kerr
Timm
Latimore
Allgood
Blacker

So an experienced first grade lock is probably the ideal player we should target to replace JDB.

Hopefully, we still have salary cap available to fill the 30th spot in our top 30, an outside back position.

Your statement may be more valid next year but if we are serious about being a threat for the title this year, we can't take a chance on so many young forwards.

Lawrie, Kerr, Timm, Allgood, and Blacker may show promise but they are not proven first graders yet and we can't fill a hole from a state of origin lock with a developing player without taking a risk.

Kasiano may not be the powerhouse he once was but I am sure he can provide impact and impose himself on our opponents.

It would be such a pity if this was a year where we got close but the JdB situation weakened us just enough to derail our premiership.
If not Kasiano then we should be looking for someone established and dominant to allow our young forwards to develop in their own time.

possm

Coach
Your statement may be more valid next year but if we are serious about being a threat for the title this year, we can't take a chance on so many young forwards.

Lawrie, Kerr, Timm, Allgood, and Blacker may show promise but they are not proven first graders yet and we can't fill a hole from a state of origin lock with a developing player without taking a risk.

Kasiano may not be the powerhouse he once was but I am sure he can provide impact and impose himself on our opponents.

It would be such a pity if this was a year where we got close but the JdB situation weakened us just enough to derail our premiership.
If not Kasiano then we should be looking for someone established and dominant to allow our young forwards to develop in their own time.

They are the players Millward has given Mary to do the job. These two old boys surely know what they are doing so there is nothing more to say; just get on with it.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
My tip is for Aitken, Lafai and Lawrie to move on prior to their contract being up.
Lomax and Masters as our centres
Robson as our long term hooker but in rotation off the bench at 14 for now.
Agree with your view on who the centres will eventually be but I would be very surprised if Lawrie doesn't play SOO before he is done, as long as he continues to improve on 2018, so I hope we don't lose him.

rednwhites

Juniors
With the nature of the game where contracts aren't worth squat, we just have to wait a little while and someone better then Kasiano will come along to fill the void.

SGMax

Juniors
They are the players Millward has given Mary to do the job. These two old boys surely know what they are doing so there is nothing more to say; just get on with it.

Stubborn much?
FMD get over yourself.

Crush

Coach
Great news! We are not likely to be able to use JDB salary cap at all now so we don't have to sign Kasiano!
Just picture it like JDB did his ACL on the first tackle of charity shield to make it palatable.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I just read a headline from the SMH saying Kasiano firming as DeBelin's replacement. I like it. I think he has the potential to be one of the best props in the game. We needed another decent prop on our roster. We would also be weakening Melbourne's front row depth. Can Mary get Kasiano and Norman to perform. If so, I think we are in for a big season, but then Mary will probably pick Aitken and Lafai in the centres, with Pereira and Lomax on the wings, so that will dent my confidence.

Maybe Graham can fire Kasiano up?

Many props mature later in their career's. Kasiano is 28, so he should be peaking now.

Latest posts