What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to take the pacific!!

Burns

First Grade
People who think RL "owns" Tonga and Samoa are delusional.
We have test teams made of 95% Aus and NZ born players who never actually play in Tonga or Samoa, and a very small handful of Tongan or Samoan born players even at club level.
There is no pathway from Tonga or Samoa to professional Rugby League.

NFI
This x10000000000.

That all said, these nations are tiny anyway and as harsh as this will be, and there will be blowback etc - Wouldn't you rather Japan/United States over Tonga and Samoa? It's just money at the end of the day.

Knownothing

Juniors
These are poor countries and the young men who are born there need to find paid work of one kind or another. Professional sport is an obvious avenue for them. I doubt that they care much which sport it is, as long as they can earn some money for their families.

ed612313

Juniors
People who think RL "owns" Tonga and Samoa are delusional.
We have test teams made of 95% Aus and NZ born players who never actually play in Tonga or Samoa, and a very small handful of Tongan or Samoan born players even at club level.
There is no pathway from Tonga or Samoa to professional Rugby League.

NFI
The only people that have an interest in Union in both countries are the older generation.. As is 50 plus. Anyone under 50 is Rugby League.
Id be interested in knowing what you base your opinion on?
Me? Ive lived on each island for close to 2 years and have visited many times. Every village has a cousin that plays for some team at some level and whether they born in Samoa or not it doesn't matter. You clearly don't understand the cultures involved if you think a passport is a defining document for these people. But i agree re junior development. The structures are not in place.
I also agree 100% with PNG. It is an absolute gold mine for league and I'm basing that on 1 visit to the island. Huge population obsessed with league. But like Samoa and Tonga no junior structure whatsoever. Either way I've posted many a time about how i think PNG is the future for League and how the NRL needs to go about it. Its embarrassing the small mindness involved when it comes to PNG

adamkungl

Immortal
The only people that have an interest in Union in both countries are the older generation.. As is 50 plus. Anyone under 50 is Rugby League.
Id be interested in knowing what you base your opinion on?
Me? Ive lived on each island for close to 2 years and have visited many times. Every village has a cousin that plays for some team at some level and whether they born in Samoa or not it doesn't matter. You clearly don't understand the cultures involved if you think a passport is a defining document for these people. But i agree re junior development. The structures are not in place.
I also agree 100% with PNG. It is an absolute gold mine for league and I'm basing that on 1 visit to the island. Huge population obsessed with league. But like Samoa and Tonga no junior structure whatsoever. Either way I've posted many a time about how i think PNG is the future for League and how the NRL needs to go about it. Its embarrassing the small mindness involved when it comes to PNG

They may very well like and play the game but like I said, what good is it if there's no pathway to their national team, no pathway to higher level, their national team doesn't even visit once a year?

Latest posts