What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion Team Names

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Just thought I'd put this up to get the creative juices flowing and see what people's thoughts are. If you could introduce a new team to the NRL then what would you name them? Where would they be based? what is their logo/moniker?

They could be in a yet-to-be included region, a current club/area in need of a revamp, or a completely hypothetical team in a perfect NRL where every region has their team. I'll be interested to see what people come up with.

A few that I can think of off the bat:

Port Adelaide Destroyers (thinking about all the ship building that goes on down there)
Rockhampton Dingoes
WA Vipers
South Melbourne Musketeers

flippikat

Bench
Some ideas for NZ-based expansion clubs...

I think a 2nd NZ club from the South Island (Based in Christchurch, some games in Dunedin, Nelson or Invercargill) could be called the Keas - named after the alpine parrot. In provincial league here, the Canterbury (Christchurch) team has been named the Bulls, but I think something different would encompass the whole south better.

Wellington-based team would probably be the Orcas.

Another possibility is a Waikato/Bay of Plenty club (most games in Hamilton, some in Rotorua).. not sure that a good name would be - teams from that region have used the names Cougars & Stallions in the national championship in the past, but those are a bit rubbish for NRL. Given that dairy farming is big in the Waikato, I'd say the Bulls name would go well there.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Some ideas for NZ-based expansion clubs...

I think a 2nd NZ club from the South Island (Based in Christchurch, some games in Dunedin, Nelson or Invercargill) could be called the Keas - named after the alpine parrot. In provincial league here, the Canterbury (Christchurch) team has been named the Bulls, but I think something different would encompass the whole south better.

Wellington-based team would probably be the Orcas.

Another possibility is a Waikato/Bay of Plenty club (most games in Hamilton, some in Rotorua).. not sure that a good name would be - teams from that region have used the names Cougars & Stallions in the national championship in the past, but those are a bit rubbish for NRL. Given that dairy farming is big in the Waikato, I'd say the Bulls name would go well there.
Yeah I like the Keas too. I’m not too familiar with NZ areas but a Nth Island v Sth Island rivalry would be cool. Maybe brand themselves as the Southern Keas or Sth island Keas, unless a specific location works better for rivalry.

I’d like to see an Adelaide team but I’m not certain I want them to revisit the Rams moniker. Maybe if the Sharks collapsed and moved to SA then maybe an NZ team named the Rams..... Dunedin Rams? I could see a lot of sheep shagger jokes coming out of it though.

Diesel

Coach
Brisbane 2 could go with;
Queensland Kings- (Gryphon as mascot)
Queensland Royals- (Gryphon as mascot)
Brisbane United (formed from BRL clubs so QRL owned)
River City Kookaburras
Moreton Dolphins

ReddFelon

Juniors
I'm biased towards WA being called the Reds, though I'd also accept the Western Roos just to keep the Red Kangaroo mascot.

Adelaide should be the Adelaide Rhinos.

Brisbane #2 should be the Brisbane Bears to piss off both the AFL and Stallion.

NZ#2 if it's in Christchurch should be the Southern Lions or Canterbury Lions
If it's Wellington than the Orcas.

Cairns team should be the Cassowaries.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I like names that are at least unique in the Australian context, but if they are unique in a global context that's even better, and with just the tiniest smidgen of edge to them, just enough to piss off a vocal minority, but not enough to attract any real outrage or consequences.

For example I like the idea of Adelaide Inquisition/Inquisitors as a name, cause they're from 'the city of churches' and they are out there to punish the heresy of all the other clubs, you could also turn it around on it's self as they are out to punish the heresy of Aussie rules fans in Adelaide and turn everybody onto 'the one true' sport of RL.

PNG Cannibals is another one I like, because not only does it sound cool in a menacing way but it has historical relevance.

Obviously this would be for a Super League team, but London/East End Rippers would be a pretty cool name and motif to play with.

There're other names that aren't 'edgy' at all that I like as well.

It's kind of American sounding, but i always liked the idea of Brisbane Browns with a brown snake in the logo.

I've always thought that Harlequins was a great name as well, I don't know who in particular i'd give that name, but the whole jester motif can be awesome if done well.

Adelaide should be the Adelaide Rhinos.

Why!?

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
I used to play in the Parramatta comp a few years back and down there they have the Kellyville Bushrangers. I think this would be a great motif for a second Victorian team.

Geelong or even Ballarat. West Vic/Geelong Bushrangers sounds pretty decent and with Ned being a Vic lad it fits in with their history. It would also be a mark of the victorians sticking it to the NSW/QLD/NRL “authority” as they come to steal the NRL premiership.

Diesel

Coach
I used to play in the Parramatta comp a few years back and down there they have the Kellyville Bushrangers. I think this would be a great motif for a second Victorian team.

Geelong or even Ballarat. West Vic/Geelong Bushrangers sounds pretty decent and with Ned being a Vic lad it fits in with their history. It would also be a mark of the victorians sticking it to the NSW/QLD/NRL “authority” as they come to steal the NRL premiership.
It’s a much better name than Cowboys. NQ should’ve gone with this

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
It’s a much better name than Cowboys. NQ should’ve gone with this

Yeh, the cowboy imagery is perfect (they were always gonna be compared to the Broncos, so they really nailed it there). But they should have gone for something less american

Drovers/Rangers would have been solid.

TheRam

Coach
Perth Pirates sell itself. The kiddies love Pirates and in my book that trumps everything else.

I also like the Adelaide Destroyers and the Melbourne Bushrangers only if they can use a Ned Kelly moniker. And as for the PNG Cannibals, that would never happen in today's politically correct world no matter how cool it sounds. Can you imagine the virtue signalling and fake outrage that would pour out of the wood works?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Perth Pirates sell itself. The kiddies love Pirates and in my book that trumps everything else.

I also like the Adelaide Destroyers and the Melbourne Bushrangers only if they can use a Ned Kelly moniker. And as for the PNG Cannibals, that would never happen in today's politically correct world no matter how cool it sounds. Can you imagine the virtue signalling and fake outrage that would pour out of the wood works?

That's exactly why it's such a good name.

The Papuans aren't going to care about it, if anything they'll think it's a cool and menacing name, but the free publicity from from the faux outrage people would be huge and extremely valuable, I can easily see something like that making international news. As long as the club doubled down on the name and never apologised they'd be fine.

You're right though, it'd never happen. No bodies got the balls to try things like that anymore.

Hawkins

Juniors
No love for a second team in the capital?

Could call em the South Canberra Prime Ministers.

Have a new captain every couple of matches and if they have a tough season they could just throw money at the problem.

Slight issue: that last one is kinda stealing the Roosters gimmick.

MugaB

Coach
South Pacific Islanders (Nz Christchurch based)
Adelaide Archangels
Brisbane Bulls
North Brisbane Dolphins
South Brisbane Jets
Perth Pirates, (although i do like the Reds)
Melbourne Royals (lion or card theme)
Most of these have been named elsewhere on the forums, which i quite like

jim_57

Staff member
Redcliffe Dolphins
Western Tigers
Wellington Orcas
Adelaide Sea Eagles

Was going to go in to it on the crowd watch but realized it was getting off topic. I know it's a bit nitpicky but no way Redcliffe gets in for me as just 'Redcliffe'. Unless they expand their brand and target reach to North and East Brisbane and up the coast as far as Sunny Coast, Gympie and Bundaberg. Hard to see them having much success with that with an isolated suburb name.

We have too many teams with suburb names as it is without giving a rare expansion spot to another in my opinion. Put it up against a bid that is tagreting Ipswich, Logan and southwestern QLD and Redcliffe have to up their game to be a chance.

Latest posts