What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron Smith calls for Salary cap exemption for 300 gamers

Should the NRL have salary cap exemptions?

• Yes

Votes: 25 48.1%
  • No

Votes: 27 51.9%

• Total voters

nick87

Coach
The hate for Smith, do not share it, what a player.

Redefined his position, role model off the field.

You all have issues.
100% with you. I love watching him play. He's a master, and the best player i've ever seen lace a boot. Incredible footballer.

People generally dont want to separate their dislikes from an idea.

There is no question in my mind this is a very good idea. Rewarding a club who has signed/develop/keep and likely PAID a footballer for 10+ years. They should be exempt IMO. The Storm should be able to pay Cam Smith whatever they like for what he's done for their club. Same with Cronulla and Gallen.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
100% with you. I love watching him play. He's a master, and the best player i've ever seen lace a boot. Incredible footballer.

There is no question in my mind this is a very good idea. Rewarding a club who has signed/develop/keep and likely PAID a footballer for 10+ years. They should be exempt IMO. The Storm should be able to pay Cam Smith whatever they like for what he's done for their club. Same with Cronulla and Gallen.

The Storm has already paid Smith whatever he has wanted... even outside of the cap.... even in testimonials when he wasn't retiring....

Pommy

Coach

Why wait 10+ years? Said the storm ceo

nick87

Coach
Good for them. Now make it legal for them to do so.

Anyone piling up 300 games for one club has given enough to this sport, their club and their fans to be allowed to earn whatever the club is willing and able to give them

BennyV

Referee
What the articles skips over is that this exemption is proposed to be applied retroactively. So Smith’s (and Slater’s) cap exemption could be applied in, say, 2007 and/or 2009.

He also proposes similar exemptions for any player that captains Australia AND QLD, any player in a single-club state and footballers that don’t look like footballers.

All of it ties in with the whole ‘give me my premierships back’ thing.

Exsilium

First Grade
Geez he is getting political in his old age.

If you think we’re done with him once he retires, I hate to break it to you, he’s probably going to run the game one day.

We wont know what pain is until that scenario plays out

Last edited:

firechild

First Grade
The problem is, he's right. I hate the merkin as much as the next person and my issue with this is how self serving it is. He wasn't advocating this when it was Lockyer, Mannering or Beaver that would have reaped the benefits but now that it benefits him, he's all over it.

Tbh, if this had have been in effect when Beaver left to play in England, he probably would have stayed and become the first 400 game player in the NRL.

Fangs

Coach
Shithouse statements like these from Smith make me think he is preparing for life after football. He is obviously an ideas man.

He wants a job at HQ.

nick87

Coach
At this point, there could be a DT article that leads with "Storm legend Cameron Smith declares "Cancer sucks""
and there would be a crowd of seething, drooling idiots in the comments section taking issue with it.

firechild

First Grade
At this point, there could be a DT article that leads with "Storm legend Cameron Smith declares "Cancer sucks""
and there would be a crowd of seething, drooling idiots in the comments section taking issue with it.
If you can't see the self serving agendas in everything Smith ever says you're either naive or stupid. The problem with what he says, whether people agree with it or not, is that the intent behind it is not what's best for the game but what's best for Smith (and consequently the Storm or QLD).

nick87

Coach
Which makes him what, exactly?
Just like every other high profile player in the game. Hah.

Who's the player advocating for changes that would adversely impact their own back pocket and/or disadvantage their own club?
I'll wait whilst you compile your list.

Bazal

Post Whore
If Luke Lewis, for eg, had suggested this the response would be very different,

Smith is one of the biggest merkins in the country, but that doesn't mean he can't be right every so often

taipan

Referee
Shithouse statements like these from Smith make me think he is preparing for life after football. He is obviously an ideas man.

He wants a job at HQ.

I thought he had one.A cadet referee learning on the job.

PJ

First Grade
Don't his club already have a big enough advantage over everyone else bar Brisbane with an exceedingly large amount of third party payments?

Love to see how successful they'd really have been if it was a reasonablr level playing field re what teams pay.

404b3e6b-c1a0-4a70-806e-b7499d838710-jpeg.27844

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Cam Smith can f*ck off....

But i actually agree with the sentiment. If every club has the same money ($200k i think), then the whole thing is meaningless.

If we want to encourage long-serving, loyal players, we need to give clubs a mechanism to keep them. And not just players above 300 games.

Let clubs exempt a % of a players salary if they pass a certain number of games for the club (100 game = 10%, 150 games = 20%, etc). That way, players are rewarded for sticking around and clubs can build squads with a long-term goal.

Latest posts